open note to Spirit bassist

It won't be pretty.

I wonder if corps directors prepare performers for this. You've gotta pick the right person, obviously, somebody who thrives on artistic freedom and controversy and who is ready to be a lightning rod if need be.

Kinda like when Branch Rickey picked Jackie Robinson to break the color barrier in baseball...any player could've done the playing job....but Jackie was able to take the emotional crap that came his way.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait to see how DCP treats the first sax player in the pit.

:thumbup:

• 8 months later...
I hate the addition of these instruments to the field of "marching music", but you have done a superb job in a position that puts you in a spotlight of a very volatile topic. You have done great and I enjoyed your musicality. Good job and I hope you never heard the venomous hate that people poured forth at the Garfield singer. I aopologise for not standiing at the conclusion of your show. It is a very entertaining one and it deserved a full standing O. Keep plucking away and know that you converted one old timer to accept the new reality.

Thank you! :thumbup: Trust me, I've heard my fair share of "venomous hate." But have no fear, no one will be seeing me on the field this summer.

Thank you! :thumbup: Trust me, I've heard my fair share of "venomous hate." But have no fear, no one will be seeing me on the field this summer.

Trust me kid! You tore up the joint! Great work! You're one of the reasons I loved Spirit's show.

You are one great base player! You have a bright future and I wish you well! I just don't want so see you on the field with a drum corps again. Nothing personal - there is no place on the drum corps field for electronic instruments.

I can't wait to see how DCP treats the first sax player in the pit.
I'll probably say what I always say...comments directed at the staff

You are one great base player! You have a bright future and I wish you well! I just don't want so see you on the field with a drum corps again. Nothing personal - there is no place on the drum corps field for electronic instruments.

Obviously there is, seeing as how most corps have adopted them, and use them very well. Electronics have take drum corps to a new lever, kind of like Bb horns. just stating the facts.

And great bass playing dude! For once, my favorite show of the season was not top 5, and your playing was one of the main reasons for that. Thanks for showing all the drum corps purists that electronics are only enhancing drum corps