Drum Major Wears Obscene Shirt In Photo

No, I can't put the photo here, due to its content.

The July 14, 1976 issue of Drum Corps News ran a photo, on page 15, of Hawthorne Muchachos drum major Mike Mercandante wearing a t-shirt that featured the immortal F*** You emblazoned on the front. It was done in the psychodelic swirl graphic that was popular in the late 1960s and early 1970s. The "word" is not immediately recognizable, but can be deciphered without much effort after about five seconds. I'm surprised DCN never saw what it was. Apparently the photo editor only looked at it for four seconds.

It's a fun piece of drum corps "blooperism" to the max.

No, I can't put the photo here, due to its content.

The July 14, 1976 issue of Drum Corps News ran a photo, on page 15, of Hawthorne Muchachos drum major Mike Mercandante wearing a t-shirt that featured the immortal F*** You emblazoned on the front. It was done in the psychodelic swirl graphic that was popular in the late 1960s and early 1970s. The "word" is not immediately recognizable, but can be deciphered without much effort after about five seconds. I'm surprised DCN never saw what it was. Apparently the photo editor only looked at it for four seconds.

It's a fun piece of drum corps "blooperism" to the max.

Sounds like the sort of thing ballplayers used to try to get away with on their baseball cards back in the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ripkenffcard.jpg

The shirt worn by the drum major was quite popular at the time. They put just about any words you could think of on some of them in those days. Part of that youth rebel culture. :sad:

People not used to seeing psychodelic swirl graphics may have had a difficult time trying to figure out what they said, but it's easily seen by anyone exposed to the graphic in the mass media. (Not unlike some people not being able to "see" the old Magic Eye 3-D pictures...ala Mr. Pitt on Seinfeld.)

Having worked with Andy Uzarian the editor of DCW it was no surprise at all that he would miss that. He was a very smart man but many of the lay outs were preconceived so my guess is he just wanted a picture of them and went and found one.

LOL, must have been before I got my DCN subscription..

Had a member of BoD with Westshore in the 80s who had a "Chinese" baseball cap. Looked like chinese characters on it until you turned it sideways and it said what you could do with yourself. We had a rough rebuilding season so he wore it at practice to lighten the mood. One day we went on a bus trip and he forgot he had it on. Walks into a McDonalds and the girl looks at the hat, turns her head sideways and starts laughing. BoD member realizes what's going on and turns 5 shades of red.

Then he gave us Hades for not telling him he was wearing it.... :sad:

Think it was the same season another member almost got arrested in another McDonalds. He had his uni on with a pair of shorts underneath. His wallet was in the shorts so he dropped his uni pants to get the money. Girl cashier couldn't see he had shorts on because the counter was in the way and freaked. She thought he was stripping in the middle of MickieDs. Poor guy just looked at her and kept asking "What?".

... and for the record ...

Merc was the CG Captain, not the DM.

... and for the record ...

Merc was the CG Captain, not the DM.

I guess the caption with the photo was wrong.

I went back to double check, and he is identified as DM.

By the way, he's also wearing a "stylish" neckerchief. (No obscene inscription on that.)

Edited by Northern Thunder

I guess the caption with the photo was wrong.

I went back to double check, and he is identified as DM.

By the way, he's also wearing a "stylish" neckerchief. (No obscene inscription on that.)

...indeed, Merc was DM in '76...from the Bayonne show on. He didn't *want* to, but got pressed into service (I don't recall the circumstances, tho, the situation at the time being what it was...LOL). I helped with instruction in both '75 and '76. Oh, he was CG Capt. forever before...

Edited by chasgroh

Maybe "overageism." Sorry LOL

...indeed, Merc was DM in '76...from the Bayonne show on. He didn't *want* to, but got pressed into service (I don't recall the circumstances, tho, the situation at the time being what it was...LOL). I helped with instruction in both '75 and '76. Oh, he was CG Capt. forever before...