So, is The Academy in a position to be what the Magic could have been?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to mention that Academy is a young corps, not just in the fact that this is their 3rd year in the upper class, but the average age of the corps this year is 17-18. If the vets don't go running away looking for that "Top 12 Experience"... I think they will get it VERY soon (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, with crossed fingers!!).

Oh, and I wouldnt Compare Them to Magic...... I would like to see them stay around for more than 15 years.....

You will...the Mafia isn't running the Academy....in Orlando they were part of the problem.

:tongue::blink::worthy::lol::lol:

Kids have always left Arizona to march in a "top 12" corps - Hard to see kids staying in Arizona to march a "top 17" corps. The average age of the corps is 17-18 because all the vets left - no, they didn't age-out.

Yep, every single vet left. The corps is comprised of entirely rookies.... :tongue: Last year The Academy had 34 age outs. A few of them left to other corps, but it wasn't this mass exodus you are making it out to be. You're right, why would anyone want to stay in a lowly "top 17" corps? It's ALL about the numbers. Couldn't possibly be about the quality of staff, friends, and atmosphere this corps provides.

Kids have always left Arizona to march in a "top 12" corps - Hard to see kids staying in Arizona to march a "top 17" corps. The average age of the corps is 17-18 because all the vets left - no, they didn't age-out.

Arizona has never had a competitive Div I/World Class Corps until now. Copper Star, Mesa Thunderbirds, Arizona Sun, Sunset Regiment, Musketeers, Jester were all lower division or non-competitive. Hence , your comment that "Kids have always left Arizona to march in a "top 12" corps" is comparing apples to oranges. Crossmen have gone from Top 12 to lower places, Madison has gone from Championship to lower places, Troopers have been all over the map, yet all continue to field full corps. I think the kids are committed to do their best, regardless of who they are with. If all the kids in DCI had the attitude you are portraying here, there would only be 12 Corps in existence. It's about the experience as a whole, not "I wanna championship ring!!" The kids deserve more credit that you are giving them.

I used the "greener pasture" (forgive the CC reference...) example because I know of some of the peer leaders in the corps did exactly that. My point is do you think it took Star of Indiana 3 years to get their Championship? Do you think Crown got to where they are in 3 years? No, the vets stayed and hung with the program because they loved it and knew time would tell in their success story. Don't get me wrong, if a kid wishes to go to another corps, let them, that way it opens a slot for someone who wants to experience the success Academy has and will have. Academy has accomplished some very remarkable things in their 4 years in DCI. I can't think of a Corps (if there is another, there's not many) who in their first year in Div 2 (2006), got a championship, and their first year in Div 1, tied for 12 (2007). Mark Richardson portrays a great ethic to the kids; "Building Great People Through Great Performances" ie: work hard, do your best and experience success, not "win, win, win." If more school band programs had this ethic, I don't think the music education system in this country would be in the sad state that it is, and DCI would have 45 Corps in World Class. These kids are the BEST of the BEST, from the Cascades, Pioneer, and JS all the way up to Phantom, Cavis, or BD. A lot of them had to do it on their own, with no educational support from their own schools, just their families and their desire to be something more.

In a few years (I think this year), Academy WILL be a SOLID Top-12 corps. Besides, I think the kids are committed to do their best, regardless of the scores. My daughter loves the Academy, she's a vet, and has professed to stay till she ages out, and yes, she is one of the 17-18 year olds. Most of her corps-mates feel the same way.

....In a few years (I think this year), Academy WILL be a SOLID Top-12 corps. Besides, I think the kids are committed to do their best, regardless of the scores. My daughter loves the Academy, she's a vet, and has professed to stay till she ages out, and yes, she is one of the 17-18 year olds. Most of her corps-mates feel the same way.

I don't know about top-12 this year....maybe....maybe not....but I DO agree with your general assessment that Drum Corps kids usually prefer to remain within their "comfort zone" and don't want to leave. I had quite a few opportunities to go to corps' that were better than the one I was in, but that would have meant leaving my corpsmates, which would have been like sleeping in the woods on a dark and stormy night. So, I never did get that ring, but I wouldn't trade the experience or memories for anything in the world.

I agree with above. I think a lot of kids find that after one good solid year, top twelve or not, they tend to stay with the corps. I stayed with my corps not because we made top twelve my first year but because I loved the atmosphere and how the staff taught us. If I had had a bad year or hated how the corps was taught, I more than likely wouldn't have went back another year. There are the kids that we call "ring chasers" and there are the kids that just prefer to march a top twelve or top six corps, its just the nature of the activity. I liked where I was and went back and had a blast both years in and out of finals. :tongue:

I'm glad to see there is discussion on Academy's progress. It means to me that they are making their mark on the DCI world.