Show weather, 07/25/09

Omaha, NE

This Afternoon: Sunny, with a high near 84. North northwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 58. Northwest wind between 10 and 13 mph becoming calm.

Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets - Santa Clara, CA

Oregon Crusaders - Portland, OR

Revolution - San Antonio, TX

Velvet Knights - Pasadena, CA

Colt Cadets - Dubuque, IA

Racine Scouts - Racine, WI

Memphis Sound - Memphis, TN

Blue Devils B - Concord, CA

Atlanta weather posted in World Class forum.

Omaha, NE

This Afternoon: Sunny, with a high near 84. North northwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 58. Northwest wind between 10 and 13 mph becoming calm.

AWESOME!! thanks for the update........VK is READY TO THROW DOWN TONIGHT!!

There is also an Open Class show in Amherst, Ohio. This show was originally to be in Buffalo, New York, as the 2nd year of the Prelude to the Drums Along the Waterfront show. It was then moved to Jamestown, New York, to be part of a joint DCI/DCA show. Now, it's conveniently less than an hour's drive from my house.

Here's the latest report from the show's website:

2PM...Well, It rained and rained hard this morning! However, it has cleared out for now and the wind and sun has dried everything. Both Citations and Raiders are now practicing. Weather.com says isolated storms and the map looks like it is may be further south.

6AM...We are hoping that storms are scattered!

As of 6AM, No rain as of yet!

We will try to go on Rain or Shine.

Check back for possible rain delays and information if needed!

Presale tickets for the show are no longer available. Tickets, however, may still be purchased at the door. If you reserved presale tickets online, they may be picked up at the will call gate at the stadium. Please pay for all tickets in cash. Thank you for your support.

The weather report from Weather.com:

Partly to mostly cloudy skies with scattered thunderstorms during the evening. A few storms may be severe early. Low 66F. Winds SW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Show lineup:

Citations and Raiders for sure, 5 other corps also, but I can't find a show listing anywhere. I'll add the list if I can find one.

Omaha, NE

Would LOVE to hear some reviews of the show...

1 Blue Devils B 87.600

2 Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets 85.350

3 Revolution 82.200

4 Oregon Crusaders 79.800

5 Memphis Sound 76.200

6 Velvet Knights 73.700

7 Colt Cadets 73.350

8 Racine Scouts 65.650

Scores from the show...great job corps. Go BDB!!!

1 Blue Devils B 87.600

2 Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets 85.350

3 Revolution 82.200

4 Oregon Crusaders 79.800

5 Memphis Sound 76.200

6 Velvet Knights 73.700

7 Colt Cadets 73.350

8 Racine Scouts 65.650

Scores from the show...great job corps. Go BDB!!!

Great Job indead.

This is the second Open Class Show I've been to. The 1st was Salina 2004.

My observations.

The crowd was pretty large. I heard there was pretty much no advertising and I'm sure there were over 1,0000 people in the stands. The Middle was full and the wings were probably half full. I would be interested to find out what the official count was. If it's true they didn't advertise the show then with advertisement they would have had standing room only.

Racine Scouts: Small Corps with an average of 12 Brass with different pit numbers taking time out to play a horn at times and at the end the Drum Major leaves the podium to play Mellophone. I could be mistaken but I think this corps is on G bugles.

Pretty good show that started off the Show right.

Colt Cadets: This corps is larger than I remember. I missed them at Hutchinson because I was running late. I'm glad I got to see them in Omaha. I like em.

Velvets Knight: This was a fun Corps to watch with lots of funny. I was expecting them to have more members but this will develope in time.

The crowd enjoyed the show and so did I.

Memphis Sound: I heard Memphis Sound, soon to be known as Forte, had a smooth Horn Line. They were right. I especially thought their low brass was good. The Sopranos struggled a little a couple times. The Bass Drum Line of this Corps is Killer. They are very tight. The Tenors were close behind. This Corps has had some transition pains this year with their move to Texas which is expected. Crossmen had to redevelope after their move and look at them now.

If their are any youg folks out there in the middle of the Country who want to get into Drum Corps I would recomend this Corps that will be on the roster this Fall as Forte.

I'm looking for them to Double the Hornline next year and really do some damage in Open Class.

Oregon Crusaders: This was an interesting show. They had balancing Seasaws on the field that performers would lean side to side on at times during the show. I could have used more impact but it was a good show.

Revolution: These guys are getting better every year. I look for them to move up to World in a couple 3 years. Good Horn Line. Color Guard could step it up a little and their drums are good.

Santa Clara: This Corps is good. They got a Standing O a couple second after the show ended. Like the name implies they are a young Santa Clara and they act just like thier big Brother.

Blue Devils B: I really like Blue Devils B. My fellow Prairie Sound peeps like Santa Clara Better, who knows. Man, they had 15 Mellows and 25 Trumpets on the field with 10 Baris and 10 Tuba and I thought their Drum Line just looked Scary. They put on a good show and got the 1st Standing O of the hight as they went on before Santa Clara.

You know, I wasn't as excited to go to this show as I was San Antonio but watching 22 Corps can make you tired and watching 8 is probably a more reasonable does of drum corps for one sitting. The tickets at the gate at Omaha were 15 bucks American and I thought it was a good value.

I was glad to see the program book was only 2 dollars. I expect to pay 5 or more for this item.

The only thing I question is why all the Corps didn't have their Souvinir Booths up and running raising money for their Corps. I know Open Class is hurting for money as we all are so I would think all the directors would want to take advantage of the opportunity to capture as many dollars as possible.

My other question is why the Omaha/Lincoln Nebraska area does not have a Junior Drum Corps. I could say the same about Kansas City but we now have the Senior/All Age Corps Prairie Sound that could spin something off in the future.

Great Job indead.

This is the second Open Class Show I've been to. The 1st was Salina 2004.

My observations.

The crowd was pretty large. I heard there was pretty much no advertising and I'm sure there were over 1,0000 people in the stands. The Middle was full and the wings were probably half full. I would be interested to find out what the official count was. If it's true they didn't advertise the show then with advertisement they would have had standing room only.

That is also my pet peave about DCI. They really should advertise their open corps more. Those kids really do produce a great show and as I have stated before, I have never left a show disappointed. Also, as ticket prices goes, they are pretty reasonable and would give those who may be on a tighter budget a chance to enjoy drum corps.

The only thing I question is why all the Corps didn't have their Souvinir Booths up and running raising money for their Corps. I know Open Class is hurting for money as we all are so I would think all the directors would want to take advantage of the opportunity to capture as many dollars as possible.

As for souvie booths, I can only speak for the corps I am familiar with, BDB. Their souvie booth travels with BDA when they go on tour. That is why you probably did not see a BD booth.