SCV green feather?

I looked a little further....the first year I see the green feathers in finals is "La Mer" in 1996....but my 95 vid isn't all that great.

Interestingly, at the 9:09 or so mark there's a closeup of a soprano...wearing what looks like a championship ring outside his glove...first time I've ever seen that outside of BD. Anyone got the skinny on this?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used to be they didn't get them until after the DCI season...at a local parade that served as the current corps' last gig, if I remember correctly.

You remember correctly. Gail handed me my green feather after I came back for the Parade Of Champions - a parade that was done each year for the City of Santa Clara.

I recently discovered this picture of me (on the right) holding my green feather right before the parade started. I'm with my SCV contra buddies Phil Becker (on the left) and Chris Rust (in the middle). Neil Bliss is in the back on the left.

greenfeather.jpg

*goes to 85 vid....seen no green feathers.....but then again, the 84 corps was pretty young and there may have been lower age-out numbers in 85, with those not getting camera time.*

I'm probably way off here but didn't the videos used to be shot at semis and quarters? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Used to be they didn't get them until after the DCI season...at a local parade that served as the current corps' last gig, if I remember correctly.

However, with so many members not only coming from far out of the area, but also going straight home FROM finals, that's not practical, so they do it for Finals now.

I rather like the tradition....but don't remember when they started doing it at Finals.

The green feather was presented at the final show of the season. They started doing it at Finals when that became the actual last show of the season when the Parade of Champions show didn't exist anymore.

Well yeah....but the vid I have is finals...that's what's on the FN.

Hey, sorry, my bad. I wasn't trying to be a smart ##s.

The green feather was presented at the final show of the season. They started doing it at Finals when that became the actual last show of the season when the Parade of Champions show didn't exist anymore.

I got mine before finals also, but seeing as how I was in the pit, I never actually got to wear it. We were issued an aussie just like everyone else, but inevitably the pit's hats would get poached through the season as other marching members hats were damaged, lost, faded or just wore out. Yes, people would occassionaly lose them. So, that year, I got my feather and had nothing except a baseball cap to put it in.

That was 17 years ago and its still out and in prominant display in my office. The star and that feather still mean a lot to me.

That was 17 years ago and its still out and in prominant display in my office. The star and that feather still mean a lot to me.

I bet they do!! I fully understand your thought. Is it not amazing how certain events and activities that we choose in our youth follow and shape us as the years skip by? I still have my complete set of tenor sticks from '75, they will probably end up in some museum in Indiana.......T

I bet they do!! I fully understand your thought. Is it not amazing how certain events and activities that we choose in our youth follow and shape us as the years skip by? I still have my complete set of tenor sticks from '75, they will probably end up in some museum in Indiana.......T

Indeed. In 04, when SoCal Dream went to DCA as a full corps for the first time, it also was my 20th year as a fan/participant in the activity. Up on the podium, I wore the same T-shirt under my uni and the same gloves I wore at 84 finals. Still have 'em, too. Won't ever get rid of those...or the chain from the front of my BD jacket (and a lot of people wanted those after finals!)

The star and that feather still mean a lot to me.

Amen. Several years ago my parents drove up to visit me. I had just moved and had my Star laying out on my coffee table. My mother picked it up and I just had a reflex reaction and yelled "DON'T TOUCH THAT". It about gave her a heart attack. She then realized what it was, smiled and said "well I should of known better". Haha

Edited by Feathers Up