Awesomeness of 2009?

I don't know if I agree that this year's shows are that great collectively. After watching every corps yesterday, and my fiance brought this point up to me, it seems like the shows start to sound the same, especially in that 17th-10th place cluster. It seems like there is more of that chop and bop style versus playing a full out melody. It is nice to hear the top corps actually play recognizable stuff and make it creative at the same time. I think Bluecoats have done a fabulous job taking a very abstract theme and connecting great music with it to make a very entertaining show. Even if there wasn't a title or a theme to the show, it would still be very entertaining. That goes for SCV, Cadets, Crown, and BD (chairs aside :blink: ) However, if I were to take my former corps' show or the Glassmen's, and take away the title or storyline, the show would not work or make sense at all. I had people asking me yesterday, even with the capes and the title, was the Crossmen's show was about. That's a whole can worms I don't want to open though. I really feel that there are some great shows out there this year (props to Troop and a shoutout to Matt Dimmitt and Lenny!) but overall I'm not excited to watch the shows this year.

My guess, you're an auditory person first and foremost, rather than a visual person first and foremost. If so, you most likely approach these shows from a musical standpoint first. And from that standpoint, I can totally understand where you're coming from. On the other hand, I'm a visual person first and foremost. As such, what the Corps are doing this year, ie Cadets, Cavs, SCV, Boston, Bluecoats, Blue Stars, in particular is very rewarding for me over previous years shows. I am somewhat displeased with the execution errors, ie spacing, alighnment, feet, etc but visually the shows are stunning collectively. While I'm not a Guard person at all, Corps like Cavs, BD have OUTSTANDING guards, and these guards are doing MORE equipment work and less prancing on the frield than in other years. I also think BD's creative use of the chairs to be terrific and their utilization to be well done. Since I'm not an auditory person, I'm thrilled that there is little narration, nor singing, this year compared to other years. And the use of synths for the most part has not been anywhere near as ingratiating as the singing, narration we used to get with these Corps not that long ago. I'm really enjoying BD, Cavs, Cadets, Boston, SCV and other Corps this year, more so than some of their more recent years shows. But to each his own.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I think this season is quite dull, but.. it's still drum corps and there are still some good things going on. And mad props to Crown's success.

Something tells me that if ( say ) Crown won, suddenly this season would no longer be considered " dull" . Would that be correct ?

Edited by BRASSO

Yes, lots of times.

It happened A LOT in the 70s though I wasn't around shows for that. It's happened in the 80s too.

1988 Madison Scouts and Velvet Knights both played "Malaguena"

1989 Sky Ryders, Limited Edition, and Blue Stars all played "Carmina Burana"

1989 Bluecoats and Blue Devils played "Johnny One Note"

1990 Crossmen and Bluecoats played "Caravan"

1990 Cadets and Blue Knights played some stuff from Berstein's "Mass"

1991 Madison Scouts and Dutch Boy both played selections from "City of Angels"

1993 Madison Scouts and Blue Devils played "Strawberry Soup"

1999 SCV and Crossmen both played "Blue Shades"

2003 Boston Crusaders and Cadets both played "Malaguena"

2005 ECJ and Bluecoats played "Caravan"

You get the idea. :blink:

And this year is pretty dull. It's a "good" year, but a 6/10 for me.

Interesting tidbit.....

Phantom played Toccata last year and that was supposed to be the opener for Kiwanis Kavaliers 2006....

My guess, you're an auditory person first and foremost, rather than a visual person first and foremost. If so, you most likely approach these shows from a musical standpoint first. And from that standpoint, I can totally understand where you're coming from. On the other hand, I'm a visual person first and foremost. As such, what the Corps are doing this year, ie Cadets, Cavs, SCV, Boston, Bluecoats, Blue Stars, in particular is very rewarding for me over previous years shows. I am somewhat displeased with the execution errors, ie spacing, alighnment, feet, etc but visually the shows are stunning collectively. While I'm not a Guard person at all, Corps like Cavs, BD have OUTSTANDING guards, and these guards are doing MORE equipment work and less prancing on the frield than in other years. I also think BD's creative use of the chairs to be terrific and their utilization to be well done. Since I'm not an auditory person, I'm thrilled that there is little narration, nor singing, this year compared to other years. And the use of synths for the most part has not been anywhere near as ingratiating as the singing, narration we used to get with these Corps not that long ago. I'm really enjoying BD, Cavs, Cadets, Boston, SCV and other Corps this year, more so than some of their more recent years shows. But to each his own.

I completely agree with 100% Very nice response to the post. I would like to say that I'm 50/50 on music and vis, but I can understand where you got you observation from. I did find myself ths past weekend very entertained by the drill of several corps like SCV and Cadets. There have many 'wow' times so far with the drill. And the synths part: I have been relatively pleased by their implementation this season. For the most part they've fit into the show well. I think each has a moment where the synth seems out of place but that'll happen in the first year of it.

thanks for all of you for responding to my topic :D (i now feel accomplished that I have started a topic that wasn't a TOTAL failure xD)

In response to ALL the people who have said that this year is not that great in comparison.

I really don't know if it's just the fact that I am a new person do drum corps, but most (if not all) of these shows grab my attention, keeping me from sleeping due to boredom xP

BUT! You guys do have to admit that there are A LOT of great shows this year, even the lower tier corps are having great shows this year IMO (i.e. Mandarins, Pacific Crest, Jersey Surf).

This year seems like a year to me that makes me want to join drum corps even more than before.

Yay for sharing my opinion xP

btw: 2006 WAS a hella boring year.

I like your choice of corp & instrument Chris :thumbdown:

As with the topic granted I haven't seen majority of the shows live and wont aside from who was at the SoCal shows most of the corps do not grab me 100%, some do it more musically, some more visually but outside of say Boston & Bluecoats to name a couple most are not doing it 100%. No doubt everyone is kicking their butts for great seasons but just comes off as a flat yr on the whole for me personally outside of the competitveness. Just wish I had more of a chance for the shows to grow on me.

I am most grateful for the return of Capital Regiment and the Cascades.

I think every corps, with the exception of Phantom have had a great season in term of the direction of corps' developments.

I am most grateful for the return of Capital Regiment and the Cascades.

I think every corps, with the exception of Phantom have had a great season in term of the direction of corps' developments.

Great show for Capitol Regiment--after 2 years off? these guys are over achievers!

I have the exact opposite feeling of this year. I like this year a LOT less than previous years. In fact, this year is so dull, I would have to say the last time we had a year this dull was 2005. All of this is just my opinion, of course.

Oh, and just off the top of my head...

There have been quite a few years where two corps have played the same music (though not full shows, just pieces, etc..). Here's just one for now: 1993: Madison Scouts and Blue Devils play "Strawberry Soup" (Madison as their next to last tune, Blue Devils as their closer (with a tag on the end).

...or, more recently... in '07 Blue Devils, Blue Stars, and Phantom all dusted off Firebird Suite...by the end of the night I was wondering what was going on.