Do we ALWAYS have to do what's easy?

That question may seem a little strange... let me explain with an example... I've seen a lot of talk recently about people supporting the idea of taking what the Bluecoats are doing to the next level, of the entire corps wearing those WGI/CG style outfits instead of wearing a militaristic uniform... reasons include easy to watch, cheaper (by how much?), easier to move in, etc. I'm wondering: Am I the only one that thinks, in certain areas, ease or cost aren't a good reason to do something? Sure it's harder to do horn moves in a uniform but I think that the way the musicians look in those uniforms outweighs making their movement easier... part of being in the hornline that I enjoyed was feeling like a BA (whether you agree or not)... can't feel that way in a thin spandex-y outfit. As for cost I agree that sometimes one should get rid of frivolous things in order to save some money... so why not play on lacquered brass instruments? Go look at any instrument website: Lacquered brass is always cheaper than nickle plated... why don't we? 'Cause nickle-plated looks better, as to uniforms. Here, paying a little more is worth it.

Thoughts?

I hope it does not go that way, because I like some of the boxes we have designated for our activity. :-)

Well, having a few friends in the Bluecoats this season, I can say some things with some confidence. When they take off their helmets and uniform jackets to unveil the 'cloud person within' it is like a fresh start for them. Having just the blue and white UnderArmor really does make a difference on the performers, it breathes much better then the jacket and less restriction for sure!

I don't think anyone will take what they are doing for a portion of their show to wear some are saying the activity will go. I hear it all the time how people appreciate how they can look out onto the field and recognize the Cavaliers or the Cadets via their trademark uniforms. I know some corps have made MANY uniform changes over the years, but it is still a very big part of the identity of the corps proper.

Now the instruments. I don't think when purchasing instruments in such quantity, it doesn't really matter! Perhaps smaller Open Class corps could benefit from purchasing gold/lacquered horns as I believe the Gold Drum and Bugle Corps has already done so.

It all boils down to how much a corps makes via sponsors, donations and membership. If all of those are strong, the sky's the limit!

I think anywhere a corps can save a few bucks these days is a good thing. Although I haven't seen Blue this year, I would have killed to where a light weight breathable comfy uniform in my marching days. Especially under Armour.

Well, having a few friends in the Bluecoats this season, I can say some things with some confidence. When they take off their helmets and uniform jackets to unveil the 'cloud person within' it is like a fresh start for them. Having just the blue and white UnderArmor really does make a difference on the performers, it breathes much better then the jacket and less restriction for sure!

I don't think anyone will take what they are doing for a portion of their show to wear some are saying the activity will go. I hear it all the time how people appreciate how they can look out onto the field and recognize the Cavaliers or the Cadets via their trademark uniforms. I know some corps have made MANY uniform changes over the years, but it is still a very big part of the identity of the corps proper.

Now the instruments. I don't think when purchasing instruments in such quantity, it doesn't really matter! Perhaps smaller Open Class corps could benefit from purchasing gold/lacquered horns as I believe the Gold Drum and Bugle Corps has already done so.

It all boils down to how much a corps makes via sponsors, donations and membership. If all of those are strong, the sky's the limit!

Good points, but the big question was, even if money is tight, is EVERYTHING fair game for "price cuts" or should some things be purchased regardless of how much they cost because they're an integral part of the ensemble (real uniforms, nickel horns, etc.)?

I think anywhere a corps can save a few bucks these days is a good thing. Although I haven't seen Blue this year, I would have killed to where a light weight breathable comfy uniform in my marching days. Especially under Armour.

See, as hot as the uniform was, I would've hated to march in anything else. It was part of what I was doing.

Good points, but the big question was, even if money is tight, is EVERYTHING fair game for "price cuts" or should some things be purchased regardless of how much they cost because they're an integral part of the ensemble (real uniforms, nickel horns, etc.)?

Well I think to have a solid organization, and to be able to keep one moving forward, the uniforms and instruments are necessary regardless of resources available to the corps. I think this is essential for a few reasons: 1) Gaining appeal from prospective marching members, 2) Gaining appeal from sponsors and donors, 3) It just looks and feels good to be wearing a uniform that has significant meaning to the corps itself. Marching at Pacific Crest, I had the ability to understand the last one. Inside each jacket was an embroidered name of a person who donated the funds for that uniform. Almost all the uniforms had a different name inside signifying all the work our director and sponsors did for us! Quite an amazing feeling really, and it really does make you appreciate everything you have!

Playing lacquered vs. silver plated brass instruments is not simply a matter of appearance: the two have distinct tonal qualities, as well. There are certainly corps which could benefit from exploring these tonal possibilities, but not all would be interested in doing so (since the current equipment matches their sound concept well enough).

A typical guard costume is worn for one season. Depending on how well it's made and the quality of the materials, some barely last that long. (Of course, the better the quality, the more you pay.) A typical corps uniform lasts for several years. Factoring the cost savings per costume/uniform along with the annual replacement, I don't think corps would really save money going this route.

That question may seem a little strange... let me explain with an example... I've seen a lot of talk recently about people supporting the idea of taking what the Bluecoats are doing to the next level, of the entire corps wearing those WGI/CG style outfits instead of wearing a militaristic uniform... reasons include easy to watch, cheaper (by how much?), easier to move in, etc. I'm wondering: Am I the only one that thinks, in certain areas, ease or cost aren't a good reason to do something? Sure it's harder to do horn moves in a uniform but I think that the way the musicians look in those uniforms outweighs making their movement easier... part of being in the hornline that I enjoyed was feeling like a BA (whether you agree or not)... can't feel that way in a thin spandex-y outfit. As for cost I agree that sometimes one should get rid of frivolous things in order to save some money... so why not play on lacquered brass instruments? Go look at any instrument website: Lacquered brass is always cheaper than nickle plated... why don't we? 'Cause nickle-plated looks better, as to uniforms. Here, paying a little more is worth it.

Thoughts?

Nickel Silver VS Lacquered Brass or Gold Plate is a tonal issue more that a visual issue. I have no doubt that if you were able to get a brighter sound out of laquered brass, all the corps would be using them instead...(they are also far easier to maintain).