Nasty Flu Bug...

It seems that the flu has gotten nasty this season. My daughter marches open class but they were lucky because the bug went through them early in the season. But it seems, this bug is pretty nasty since it bit the Mandarins and now Blue Stars. Besides working with health professionals, what does a corps do when a nasty bug infects its members to keep it confined? I do hope this flu gets stopped in its tracks and those corps members who have it recover quickly.

Edited by txorchdork013

It seems that the flu has gotten nasty this season. My daughter marches open class but they were lucky because the bug went through them early in the season. But it seems, this bug is pretty nasty since it bit the Mandarins and now Blue Stars. Besides working with health professionals, what does a corps do when a nasty bug infects its members to keep it confined? I do hope this flu gets stopped in its tracks and those corps members who have it recover quickly.

I remember last year at Crown, a couple were sick in the middle of the season (nothing to the extent a few of the corps are going through this year) and the staff would set aside a room for the sick-o's. They would be medicated and rested well until they were fully healthy. That is really the best that anyone can do since the only transportation is a bus with very close quarters.

They up all transmission precautions. Haul out the big guns for disinfecting everything anyone touches, etc. Sometimes, tho, when living in such close quarters, transmission is almost impossible to stop since those who have picked up the bug but haven't come down with symptoms yet can be spreading it.

My daughter caught it. Hopefully she'll be getting over it in the next few days, along wit the other 2 or 3 people that got it in Academy. They isolated her and she's been travelling on the Pit equipment truck to give her room to rest. She was sent to the ER a few days ago because she came off the field and couldn't breath... had a panic attack. She was asked not to perform in Atlanta, but she did anyway because her Grandmother and Aunts were in the audience. She had to be helped off the field, but she was OK. Talk about dedication!!! We are proud of her, but I hope she gets well enough to perform in Charleston, WV. It will break her heart if she can't.

My daughter caught it. Hopefully she'll be getting over it in the next few days, along wit the other 2 or 3 people that got it in Academy. They isolated her and she's been travelling on the Pit equipment truck to give her room to rest. She was sent to the ER a few days ago because she came off the field and couldn't breath... had a panic attack. She was asked not to perform in Atlanta, but she did anyway because her Grandmother and Aunts were in the audience. She had to be helped off the field, but she was OK. Talk about dedication!!! We are proud of her, but I hope she gets well enough to perform in Charleston, WV. It will break her heart if she can't.

I hope she feels better soon.

Bugs have been nasty this year. In my day, it wasn't the bugs it was food poisoning. A few corps got that and had half a corps hospitilized for fluids. Not good, but these things are going to happen every year no matter what precautions are taken. Part of the gig, as well as turf feet. Hope your daughter feels well and hope all corps are able to put out their best by quarters. Let the top twelve BE the top twelve. I remember ( dinosaur here) that being top 25 was actually a goal of the summer. Records and all. Otherwise your show was lost to the audio archives of Ken Kobold.

Best Wishes to all Corps on getting healthy. Unfortunately, with flu, the recovery period takes a few days. Hopefully, the Corps Directors are allowing the kids a solid eight hours of sleep, good nutrition, plenty of hydration. Easier said than done with drum corps, but one of the corps that has been sick had their members rehearsing at 1:30 in the morning-just before they got sick.