What is clear is that she did not injure herself or others, not that she didn't endanger anyone.

Who are you to say she endangered someone? If she had one screw up during an 11-minute show, I really doubt she was risking anyone's wellbeing. Believe it or not, losing vision in one eye does not make you incompetent.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's gone past recognition for this young lady and descended into petty squabbling.

Looks like it's my time to pitch in:

I STOMP THEM.

Thank you for your attention.

I'm unclear about what great danger could have occurred or how she endangered life and limb. I realize she could have tripped herself and others and might have caused an embarrassing fall. What other potential dangers were there that I'm not thinking of?

Who are you to say she endangered someone? If she had one screw up during an 11-minute show, I really doubt she was risking anyone's wellbeing. Believe it or not, losing vision in one eye does not make you incompetent.

If a doctor advised her to not march, she obviously could have injured herself more.

Enough said.

If you have run this show as much as she has, then it is probably a pretty automatic thing for her to go out and run this show. It's not like she just learned the thing then decided to march something she is still getting familiar with. I actually have a sort of related story. We were going to the BOA murfreesboro regional in 2004 when my left pupil dilated about 20 minutes before we went on (touched my motion sickness patch then rubbed my eye). Everything was so bright that I had to keep the eye shut for the show and most of the rest of the afternoon. I know marching a half finished high school show is nothing like running a world class drum corps program with one eye closed, but i thought I would share that little story.

yes i did.

cool. i hope she's ok. i still don't think kids who don't have depth perception or peripheral vision should be marching shows. nor do i think they should be risking their life and limb (or others') for the sake of marching a show.

Risking life and limb??? Good God can you over react just a little more? A Dr.'s default advice is "rest". Drum corps builds character, and character builds drum corps. Ashley gets mad props from me for SUCKING IT UP and making her self and her organization proud.

Where does whitedawn differentiate between overcoming a "difficulty" (a difficulty?) to perform, and performing with an injury in his post?

this is exactly what i meant to say:

There is a difference between someone overcoming a difficulty to perform, and performing with an injury. Your wife is the former, and his comment is talking about the latter.

The girl wasn't training with this handicap, she then goes out and performs with little depth perception. <----This is the problem here.

learning your whole show -- or a whole activity -- while having some sort of condition is completely different from acute onset.

congratulations to your wife! i'm sure she is amazing! but, having two eyes one day and then losing one the next day is a completely different bag. that's all.

During the her lunch break on 25 July 2009, the day of the Southeastern Championships in Atlanta, Bluecoats soprano Ashley Burgess, having suffered from multiple bouts of pink-eye this summer, suddenly found herself with no vision in her now painful left eye. After being rushed to the local emergency room in Stockbridge, GA, the E.R. doctor dilated and dyed her eye and found she had a corneal abrasion with a remote possibility of an ulcer. They gave her eye drops, patched her eye, gave her two percocets for the pain, prescribed more, booked an appointment with an optometrist for the following Monday, and sent her back to the rehearsal site 45 minutes before the Coats left for the Georgia Dome. After being strongly advised not to march, she showered, made adjustments to her patch, put on her uniform and marched anyway, unable to guide left without turning her head. Her disadvantage caused her to tick only one set the entire show which she quickly corrected in the middle of the move (no she was not part of the collision and spill, that happened in the back of the diamond form, her dot is in the front of that). The rest of her show was perfectly marched! The next day, the brass staff requested the patch she wore that night to be signed and dated, "Atlanta '09" by her and kept in the corps to be passed down along with other artifacts from the corps' past for years to come, and she received applause from the entire Bluecoats hornline as she took her spot in horn arc during sectionals.

Ashley embodies the gutsy passion for marching music that dwells within all drum corps members past and present. She represents us well, and I am the luckiest man on the face of the planet to be able to declare that Ash is my fiancee. I was in the Georgia Dome to watch her march that show last night. Words cannot describe how immensely proud I am of her.

Sorry to honk, but her story needed to be told.

Wonderful story. The only way it could have been better is if she was playing a solo in Legend og the One-Eyed Sailor. ;)

If a doctor advised her to not march, she obviously could have injured herself more.

Enough said.

No, not really. Doctors say this kind of thing all the time, even when it is not necessary. It's not as much being overly protective of their patient as it is being overly protective of themselves. I don't blame them. The doctor probably would have said the same thing if all she did was stub her toe.

I'm unclear about what great danger could have occurred or how she endangered life and limb. I realize she could have tripped herself and others and might have caused an embarrassing fall.

embarassing fall = injuries.

i was taken down in rehearsal once, and tore my right quad.

depth perception is *such* an important part of marching a world class show. i'm not sure i can accurately explain it to anyone who hasn't done it. hitting a hole when you can't tell how far away it is becomes nearly impossible. losing half your peripheral vision can be terrible.

look, i'm clearly in the minority here (as usual), and i'm glad the young woman is ok, but i'm just not sure this is what we want our children to be doing in the name of "toughness."