This or last

Do you like the top 12 corps show this year or last year.

Blue Devils-2008 This show just amazed me last year

Cavies-neither

CC-2008 it amazed me more then this years. Last years was more powerful to me

HNC-2009 they can move they can play and its amazing

SCV-2009 more of an SCV show to me and the end :blink:

Bluecoats-neither

PR-2008 thats why it won

BAC-2009 favorite BAC show. sounds and looks amazing

BS-neither

BK-neither

Glassmen-2009 i marched last year but love this year alot more.IMO should be higher then where its at

Troopers-2009 never really saw last years but this years seems alot better looking at the scores.

Edited by Silver_King

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bump

Blue Devils-2008 (2009 is to BD what 2006 was to cadets for me... though this one will probably win)

Cavies-2009

CC-2009. This is CC taking another step towards winning. Ramping up their show design and demand.

HNC-2009 Its the show we all knew they could do if theyd stop doing things just to antagonize the fans.

SCV-2008 (its close. i really liked last years show)

Bluecoats-2008.

PR-2008 again, not even close. even with rewrites, a major step down

BAC-2009 HUGE step up.

BS-2009- another big step up. This corps is definitely better than the 8th place corps of 08

BK-2009- i like this show better.

Glassmen-2008. Liked last years show, this year, aside from the closer, it doesnt grab me

Troopers-2009 really stepped it up this year (though 2008 was a good step up from prior as well)

Interesting topic.

Blue Devils-2008

Cavies-2008, but I haven't seen their show this year for a while

CC-2008

HNC-2009

SCV-2009--This show will be a classic talked about for years

Bluecoats-2009 Liked the shout section last year but nothing else

PR-2008

BAC-2009 -- big GE step up from last year

BS-2009 -- another step up from last year in demand, liked the lyricism of '08

BK-2009 -- much more accessible; some neat visuals

Glassmen-2008 -- really enjoyed last year's show, not getting into this year's much

Troopers -- not sure, liked last year's a lot, haven't see this year's except for bits and pieces on vid

Scouts-2008 -- one of the more watched shows on my 2008 DVDs

2008: BD, Cavies, Crown, Blu, PR, BS, Gmen

2009: HNC, SCV, BAC, BK, Troop

Great Topic!

Here's mine: ( I'll include both year's top 12... so that's actually 13 corps)

Blue Devils - 2009 - by just barely.... I like the music more this year

Cavaliers - 2008 - by far..... Samurai was awesome and full of spectacular effects... I haven't quite grasped 2009 yet

Crown - 2009 - by far..... I loved 2008, but 2009 my be one of my favorite shows of all time....so exciting.

Cadets - 2009 - by far..... no explanation need on this one... moving on

Vanguard - 2009 - by far..... very emotional this year and performed at a much higher level

Bluecoats - 2009 - this one is extremely close for me... I have to see it live to make final judgment, but I have a feeling I'll love 2009 more because of the great music

Phantom - 2008 - by far.... favorite show ever

BAC - 2009 - by far.... better performance level and overall show flow and excitement

Blue Stars - 2008 - by a little... I thought Le Tour was a great design which flowed beautifully, but I also love 2009

Blue Knights - 2009 - by far... very exciting show with more big impacts, and a theme you can easily grasp

Glassmen - 2008 - by a little.... I really liked 2008 live, not as thrilled by 2009 but as still enjoyable

Troopers - 2009 - by far.... mostly because of performance level.... almost like an entirely different corps in terms of talent and execution

Madison - 2008 - by far.... also because of execution, and the 2008 show flowed better

So for me it is:

2008 - 5

2009 - 8

Looks like a great year.... and I considered 2008 to be my favorite season so far.

Blue Devils- 2008

Cavaliers- 2008!!! but like this years too

Carolina Crown- equal imo

Cadets- 2008. just kidding :thumbdown: 2009

Santa Clara Vanguard- 2009

Bluecoats- 2008 (except the talking...)

Phantom Regiment- 2008

Boston Crusaders- 2009 (but good 08 show)

Blue Stars- 2009

Blue Knights- 2009 (love this show!)

Glassmen- Unsure; didn't see last years but don't really like this years

Troopers- 2009

I like 2008's much better. Electronics are such a turn-off for me I can't really get around a lot of this year's programs. There's quite a few designs I can't stand this year either, regardless of electronics.

Phantom Regiment: Definitely 2008. Even before all the mid/late season changes, this show was still a lot of fun to watch. Very accessible storyline and theme. The 2009 show has a storyline that doesn't even live up even to shows around it, and personally it just doesn't scream "Phantom Regiment" to me. I don't ever expect Phantom to be playing 'ball-room jazz' unless it's some recognizable piece (2005 Gershwin comes to mind). I'm almost completely positive the jazz sections are original or based on the movie soundtrack. This all doesn't even include the visual program.

BD: I prefer 2008. It wasn't overly specific, and it let me come up with my own interpretations because of that. At some points they lost me, but overall the program was very fun to watch. I was pulling for Phantom, but "Absurdity" still found out how to reach me on some sort of emotional viewpoint, especially when the two stick guys showed up. "1930" seems like it wants to be specific in presenting thematic material...but I still haven't been able to figure out what they are trying to say (even when they are as specific as spelling it out for me). The way they present it is often "solid" but never reaches out to me to get me out of a zone of subtle confusion. Can anyone really tell me what a sea of chairs has to do with 1930, other than the fact that chairs were invented before 1930? Or is this just an expensive attempt at "creative expression"? Right now the chairs don't mean much to me in regards to the show. That shouldn't happen.

Cavaliers: Honestly I'll take either 08 or 09. Both programs are innovative and entertaining in their own way, but IMO aren't anything overly spectacular compared to what I've seen from them before. Really pushing the envelope in difficulty is something the Cavies have strayed from when you compare them to other corps. If they figure out how to do that and still be incredible execution-wise, then they will win another championship in my eyes. I really don't feel like they've taken too big of a risk I'd like them to take since 04. 08 and 09 are "solid", no doubt, but I'd like to see more.

CCrown: I prefer 09. "Finis" was distracting to me just because I felt they were trying too hard to pander to the audience based on things that have been done before, not by being original. I don't doubt part of that had to do with the repertoire. To me, that show would be like watching the Velvet Knights trying to be serious...it just doesn't work for me. "The grass is always greener" is completely original in my eyes, and makes it very easy for me to be entranced in the program. I've never seen anything like it before, and the fact that it works so well makes it that much better for me.

Cadets: 09 by a longshot. 90% of "In Pursuit..." was unwatchable for me. If you ever have to literally tell me what's going on, then something's wrong. The fact that the story didn't mean much to me made it that much worse. 09 takes a retro theme and runs with it with an accompanying theme of "conflict and resolution". For the most part it works for me, and I can appreciate the fact that this is also a shout-out show to their past. I kinda wish the ending was as exciting as their 08 show though. Z-pull......please?!?!

Bluecoats: I prefer 09. I haven't listened to the commentary yet, and based on people's reactions I'm glad I haven't. The fact that your show is called "Imagine" means that you should probably leave interpretation up to the audience. Let the audience use their IMAGINATION during a show called "IMAGINE"! It's just crazy enough to work!!! 08's "Knockout" attempt at storyline was great, but nothing spectacular in my book. The narration at the opening was actually kind of fun, but the middle training-session scene narration was just pure moldy cheeze to me. Though the ballad shout section pretty much made up for it.

SCV: 09. The perfect balance of tradition and innovation IMO. This sort of presentation is something I'd expect from Blue Knights, or reminiscent of Star 93. VERY musically driven show. 08's "3hree" was kind of the epitome of what I 'expect' to see from a typical drum corps show. It was fun, but still nothing overly spectacular that makes me go 'Wow I haven't seen something like this before!'

Blue Stars: 2008. Again, I've never seen a show like this before, and the fact that it was musically driven makes it that much better. Who knew a show about a bike race would give the Stars a finals breakthrough? 2009 is also musically driven, but the props and electronics are still overly distracting for my tastes. I'd much rather like to see a version without them.

Blue Knights: 2008. The difference here is mostly the electronics. Both shows tend to scream "BK", but I like how risky the show programming was for 2008. Plus, those original silks and costumes look great!

Boston Crusaders: 2008. GREAT show. Not overly distracting moments, tons of 'Wow' moments, and of course there's that ending...

2009's "Temptation" has quite a few cheeze moments I don't really agree with...especially that giant prop apple. I really think they could've gone the Phantom Regiment route and made the "apple" a hot chick in skimpy red clothes, and it still would've been perfectly clear what the show was about. They still could've had the apple, but just made it life-size and not feature it as prominently.

Glassmen: 2008. My favorite show from them this decade. They really hit a home-run with the balloon moment, and having a star character of the show really helped draw the audience in. 2009's "One" is not my cup of tea though. I love the changes they've had since early season, but I disagree with a lot of choices the design team chose as a whole. This is basically a 'bad Matrix(WGI) show with horns'. You'd think they'd feature soloists more frequently during this show, musically or visually, or allow the members to be independent more often during it. You'd also think that they'd have ONE central character, but I guess not. Plus there's the whole electronics thing.......and lack of timpani. Sorry G-men, I don't get it.

Madison Scouts: 2008 by a longshot. It was a "solid" show, but it was also much better than we had seen from them recently. As a show about "latin culture", I could see where it came from. 2009 on the other hand doesn't do much for me. Since "Relampago" is a character, you'd think they'd feature a star-character in their show, but I guess not. The superhero theme is a great idea, but I don't think the design team capitalized on the potential that was there. Loud and Fast does not always equal good. Madison Scouts 2009 is basically a Michael Bay-ish movie on the field. Not very easy theme to follow, but it does look hard to pull off...and it is kinda loud.

BD - 2008. I really thought that show was more fun than BD typically programs.

Cavies - 2008. There's still time, but at this point, 2009 feels a bit sterile. I like the 2009 music better though.

Crown - 2009. I was getting bored with 2008 by the end of the year.

Cadets - 2009!!

SCV - 2009. Every time I watch it, I feel like someone's transported me back to the "golden age" of DCI

Bluecoats - 2008. I like this year's show, but last year, er, packed more of a punch.

Phantom - 2008!!

Boston - 2009. First Boston show I've liked in ages.

Blue Stars - 2009. Seems a little bit meatier than last year.

BK - 2009. I loved Sully's commentary on the show, and think the avalanche drill move is awesome.

Glassmen - 2009. Picked more out of a dislike of 2008 than any great love of this year's show.

Troopers - 2009. Welcome back, guys!

So that's 4 for '08 and 8 for '09 in my book.