OK Dad...

HAHAHA :thumbdown:

Probably the youngest person on here!

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? How could it be bad in anyway. It can only be good because it creates more interest for when the next time these groups meet.

Under this complex of a judging system, how in the world could a three way tie be bad???

If you don't like ties in a competition -- and I never have -- then IMO, it's just not great to have not two, but three tied scores. But hey, why stop at three? Why not tie five or six corps all together? Especially as winners? Then we don't have to deal with that messy stuff of having only one winner.

/sarcasm

12 way tie finals night, combined victory show. each corps gets 10 yards to perform their show on, i pray for those who draw the endzone, watch out for the goalpost.

Why? How could it be bad in anyway. It can only be good because it creates more interest for when the next time these groups meet.

Under this complex of a judging system, how in the world could a three way tie be bad???

I agree. Its only bad when we can already assume who is a lock at every position. When scores are tight like they are in several so-called "tiers" this year there is more to look forward to for the next show.

sort of implies to SOME (not you, and that's OK) that maybe the judging system just isn't really that complex...

Now there's an argument worth having. If we really think that ties should not happen, then to prevent them, the only thing DCI can do is alter the judging system. They would have to allow judges to give scores out one more decimal place... like a 16.43 instead of just 16.40. I would be all for this because it would allow judges to finely tune their spreads to an even greater degree. It would just make total scores numbers like 83.219..... which with computers is certainly do-able.

If you don't like ties in a competition -- and I never have -- then IMO, it's just not great to have not two, but three tied scores. But hey, why stop at three? Why not tie five or six corps all together? Especially as winners? Then we don't have to deal with that messy stuff of having only one winner.

/sarcasm

Each judge works independently. No one judge was responsible for creating the tie situation. When all of the scores are tallied from each individual judge and the result is a tie do you propose a tie breaker?

What kind of tie breaker would be fair? Do the judges watch a video of all the tied corps then vote for an order of placement? That would not seem fair as the judges original impression of the shows would seem to be the most fair.

12 way tie finals night, combined victory show. each corps gets 10 yards to perform their show on, i pray for those who draw the endzone, watch out for the goalpost.

this would only be if Mom's were judging: "They're all winners! ... my child especially... :thumbdown: he tested very high in elementary school you know... almost at genius levels."

this would only be if Mom's were judging: "They're all winners! ... my child especially... :thumbdown: he tested very high in elementary school you know... almost at genius levels."

"my child is an honor student" bumper stickers everywhere :tongue:

I think they should break ties with that silly mallot and gong stunt they perform during INT. Make the drum major of each tied corp twirl in a cirlce ten times then drunk-run to the mallot, fight over it and the DM who hits the gong WINS!

Now there's an argument worth having. If we really think that ties should not happen, then to prevent them, the only thing DCI can do is alter the judging system. They would have to allow judges to give scores out one more decimal place... like a 16.43 instead of just 16.40. I would be all for this because it would allow judges to finely tune their spreads to an even greater degree. It would just make total scores numbers like 83.219..... which with computers is certainly do-able.

well sorry my opinion is getting you uptight in the undies. Not the intention. OK, OK... you don't mind ties. I do. I've minded them since 1975. And I participated in one of Drum Corps histories most historic events due to a tie at Drum Corps Midwest... so maybe I can have an opinion as well here if that's OK.

Besides, it was my understanding somewhere along the line in the "new, more complex" judging of corps that ties would be far less likely. We almost had a tie for FIRST place at this show as well... are the corps really that close? What happens tomorrow night at a different contest when one of the three who tied tonight goes up 2.5 points on the other two?