Charleston, WV

Here's a fun question; did you feel the same way when people yelled #$%^ at The Cadets in 06/07? Is it not okay for a staff member to yell "Holy Name" when they spell out HNC, but okay for the audience to tell Alice she's in Madison?

Those shows were talking to the audience, so perhaps the audience felt like they could talk back! :worthy:

Edited by kagario

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm of the general opinion that staff members need to be cut a little slack, with the exceptions being them having running loud conversations during the show, and especially if they are being loud during another corps' performance. These people give their hearts and souls to bring the best out of the kids all day long for months, and when you are older than marching age, sleeping on the floor and constant travel and exhaustion does the body no great favors.

Audience members need to remember that the staff is technically still at work during the show. It's not leisure time; they're carefully watching and evaluating the performance, and figuring out what needs to be addressed in rehearsal the next day. Outbursts sometimes occur when Jimmy finally nails his set that he's struggled with all season or Susie completely blows the new section of guard work that she totally zoned out on during the afternoon block. The show has been the staff's total life for months, so chances are they're going to be vocal about some of it, usually without thinking.

I just know from personal experience that our intentions were always to be courteous at the shows, as we knew the importance and rights of paying customers, but that sometimes we DID get loud and overexcited, and sometimes sourpuss audience members around us had reactions which I felt were unfortunate. We were so emotionally involved in the show, our "baby," (plus being hot, tired and dirty), and stuff does happen.

Ultimately, the vast majority of staffs really, REALLY care deeply about the kids, the learning, the creativity, and the performance, and they usually aren't getting paid tons, but are really trying to make a difference.

If staff members are being rude during another corps' performance, by all means call them out on it, but if they are trying to hype their own corps, try to step back and think about what their greater goal might be. In this "Holy Name" instance, that is right before they start the most truly insane and difficult part of the show, so it might be just a little reminder to the kids that this is it, time to find that bit of extra energy to finish with a bang (and they no doubt need everything they can muster to do that).

Now, loud, rude band kids? They should all be strung up in dungeons..lol :worthy:

Note to person yelling "Holy Name!"

No need for you to do this in Indy ...

I will do it for you at Quarter-finals, Semi-finals and Finals.

HOLY NAME!

I'm right there with you. Did the possibility occur to you that maybe they're looking for the crowd to join in and make this an audience participated "Holy Name" yell. I'm sure some have noticed that drum corps audiences are highly variable in that some are really "alive" and others kinda "sit on their hands."

Heck, when I marched, we would be told that the specific crowd was "giving it up" or not that audible. . .this was ABSOLUTELY because I fed off of the crowd. For me as a member, I applaud the one person who tries to get something going if it's tasteful, and I imagine the HNC-G-CBC moment is significant to these guys. . .i.e. they are looking for crowd response.

The Vanguard yell is "people."

"HOLY NAME!!!" is by one person, purportedly a staffer. (thank you, Terri Troop for that important reminder of DCP reporting. :worthy: )

No.

I reacted to the idiot screaming. When I learned it was a supposedly a staff member, that made it worse.

But at the show, it was very annoying.

Even one of the band kids sitting near me (around the 40 near the top) after he heard the yell turned towards the source of the screaming and said with that lovely sarcastic smart-alec sound only teenagers can make, "shut up!"

So it's okay to yell when you think its okay, or if the people doing it are those you approve of, but not when you don't?

Self-centered much?

And wouldn't you know it, I was on a Walmart run and missed the bear sighting this year! Apparently, they closed the foods truck up, stairs and all, with the cooking crew inside when it happened!

Sort of. It wasn't that bad. We were inside with just the doors closed (a bit of overkill if you ask me).

I did have to convince a squirrel to leave the food truck the next morning who stopped in for a visit.

So it's okay to yell when you think its okay, or if the people doing it are those you approve of, but not when you don't?

Self-centered much?

It isn't self centered at all. He simply has a definition of what he believes to be acceptable and appropriate behavior. Unless you believe that absolutely anything goes then you do the same.

Wait...they do a set where it is H N C? I caught the G and the 75 but not that. When is it in relation to the other two?

HNC the set right before the G, following the G is the CBC and then the 75.

Height of the stadiums seem to be an issue seeing these. I remember early on when they were at shows wih lower stadiums hearing Hop say that the audience was not responding to them.

It isn't self centered at all. He simply has a definition of what he believes to be acceptable and appropriate behavior. Unless you believe that absolutely anything goes then you do the same.

From what I have read, he isn't defining acceptible and unacceptible, he is dictating who is okay to do it and who isn't, when it is okay and when it isn't, and all based on what he likes personally, not what the majority of those in attendance believe. That is self-centered.

I'm not sure how saying that a staff member can shout something with the same freedom an audience member can is "anything goes" but whatever you believe...