Make Your Best Case....

I'll start.

I'd love to be spending paragraph after paragraph enlightening everyone why Academy will be the 12th place corps. Unfortunately, I cannot.

That being said, I'm going to stick my neck way less in choosing The Troopers as my 12th place pick.

I believe the story of the organization coming back from inactivity and building/progressing to this point is a model of how to bring back a drum corps. Sure, it helped to have that Trooper mystique. Sure, it helped to have a huge and loyal alumni and fan base. But, that's not what is out there on the field this year. What and who are out there are a great group of talented performers and a product that will secure them the 12th spot in 2009.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the guard uniform. And, it was probable risky picking WSS when HNC was also doing WSS, but the different spin on Troopers show does set it aside from too many HNC comparisons. And I'm a pretty big fan of the drill being performed and the corps is pretty clean for this point in the season.

Colts and Academy will be right there and I believe at least one of the other corps behind them, most likely Madison will be edging up, but I think the Troopers will be a Saturday night performer during finals week.

Now, even if you agree...I'd like to hear your reasons. If you disagree, I'd love to hear why your pick has more going for them.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Troopers.

Why? 'Cause it would be hella cool, and 1986 was a long time ago.

Agreed! :worthy:

Troopers.

I am pulling for the Troopers all the way. Great story that is even better given how close the corps has come to folding. Big thanks to those that stuck it out and to those that came in and helped right the ship.

And next year, we can make West Side Story a compulsory round like they have in figure skating. Or make a rule where at least 2 minutes of your show has to be Bernstein or Copland.

Troopers.

I'm with ya on that one.

I don't have a crystal ball, so I'm not going to predict that the Troopers make finals. The Academy and the Colts are right behind them. What I do know (or am at least pretty sure of) is that they'll have a lot of fan support going in.

Well I'll go with The Academy, for two main reasons: First of all, they have had the largest amount of improvement of ANY corps in DCI from San Antonio through Atlanta. A difference of 6.25 points! If that isn't momentum what is? The young performers are starting to get really confident with the show. Also, the gap between Troopers and The Academy has shrunk to merely .45 as of last night, with The Academy besting the Troopers in Music GE as well as music performance captions. After seeing both shows many times I believe that The Academy will continue to surge right up until the very end.

Secondly, I think the story of The Academy making finals is equally as exciting as the Troopers' story! The corps isn't even a decade old. 9 years ago this was a small brass and percussion ensemble using borrowed instruments wearing khaki shorts and t-shirts. Now entering their third season, after falling to 18th last year, they are on the verge of finals! I think that is a pretty incredible story.

Both great corps with great stories to tell! Both are performing at a high level. Am I homer? Yes, but I thought someone should make a case for The Academy with everyone else on here rooting on the Troopers. Good luck to both, should be a VERY exciting race to the finish! :worthy:

Honestly, i would not be surprised to see the Crossmen sneak in. I know the entire staff felt that the corps peaked early last year, and a hunch tells me that they designed the show this year to bloom right at Lucas Oil.

That being said, lets get to work bones.

Watching all the corps fighting for 12th place right now. Troopers have the best show of them all, best concept, best execution, best everything. Amazing show!