07 devils

Don't feel bad for me, please. It's been this way for almost 20 years. I could list maybe 5 shows that I watch all the way through, ever.

Yikes.

Anyway, I thought it was OK. I compare every corps' show to all of their past shows, and there's no way the opener can compare to the musicality of Pegasus in the 1982 show. It wasn't really even jazz in the '07 one. No swing...and it seemed out of place in that opener. '82, on the other hand, is smooth as silk. :thumbup:

Maybe if I wasn't such a fan of the '82 show I would have liked it better. Overall I thought it was just meh. Crown, Phantom and SCV had much more entertaining shows that season.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, one of my least favorite championship shows. I didn't stay to watch the victory run in Pasadena. From recent years, I'd take BD '03, '04, '08 or '09 in preference to Winged Victory.

Agreed...I was actually shocked that it won. On the other hand, I felt that most everyone had a weak offering that year.

And for the record, I was also shocked that 04 did NOT win. One of my favorite shows ever.

Edited by DanjrusMcRynky

That "ode to joy" lick at the end is probably my favorite musical moment from any BD show. Just perfection.

I was wondering....where did THAT come from....until I checked Corpsreps and found Ode to Joy was from BD's first season as a drum corps in 1973! GREAT way to link the past history into the 50th anniversary show....and it DID lead into those great last few chords. Utterly triumphant!

*what I AM bummed about is there's not one frame of visual from the 84 season on teh 50th anniversary retrospective....not a single pic or musical quote....nothing. 84 seems to be the red-headed step-child of BD....beats me as to why*

Yikes.

Anyway, I thought it was OK. I compare every corps' show to all of their past shows, and there's no way the opener can compare to the musicality of Pegasus in the 1982 show. It wasn't really even jazz in the '07 one. No swing...and it seemed out of place in that opener. '82, on the other hand, is smooth as silk. :thumbup:

Maybe if I wasn't such a fan of the '82 show I would have liked it better. Overall I thought it was just meh. Crown, Phantom and SCV had much more entertaining shows that season.

You really should try this. I know you love that show so much, but I think you can't compare the kind of things BD is doing now to their shows in the 80s. they are on a whole different level now (not better or worse, just different). If you try to look at (or listen to) 2007 through a 1982 lens, you'll miss so much of the great artistry, nuance, and power the 2007 show contains.

One thing I think BD 2007 does almost more than any other show in drum corps history, is it puts brass and percussion on equal ground. Even though in drum corps, percussion has a far, far more important role than in other music, most drum corps arrangements still rely on the brass for the main musical "meat" of the show. In Winged Victory, the percussion shares equally the role with brass as far as introducing melodies, effects, and musical themes. I really like it because it brings a real literal sense to "drum and bugle corps."

The worst championship show in DCI history. It was more a vote more against vocals, Than a vote for that brand of show.

LOL.

Since when do the judges feel compelled to vote against vocals?

*what I AM bummed about is there's not one frame of visual from the 84 season on teh 50th anniversary retrospective....not a single pic or musical quote....nothing. 84 seems to be the red-headed step-child of BD....beats me as to why*

Exhibit A

sams.jpg

:thumbup:

Edited by tja273

I just got done watching the finals performance of winged victory by the 07 devs. and I have to say it is like by far my favorite bd show ever. Even though I was there on finals night right in front of it, I forgot how ####### amazing that show was. when they play that motif from ode to joy...woowwwwww!!!!! :thumbup::sigh: :sigh: :worthy: Just wondering everybody's thoughts on where that show ranks on your all time favorite bd shows or overall for that matter.

Agreed, this is a great BD show. My favorite part, though, is the DM reaction AFTER the final release. He just kind of shakes his head in amazement with a funny grin before turning to the audience.

Agreed...I was actually shocked that it won. On the other hand, I felt that most everyone had a weak offering that year.

And for the record, I was also shocked that 04 did NOT win. One of my favorite shows ever.

Summertrain is definitely the BD show that I listen to the most. Lots of creativity with sound (Doppler effect with megaphones, pit/perc simulating train to a "T", GREAT useage of non-amped vocals, etc), lots of great solos, but what I like about it the most is its clear concept, which was driven home in style with the exit. This show really has it all.