There's always next year...

Yes. Infact every year that i marched, except for my very first, I had this realization.

What i got from it was realizing that you truly can not control all the X factors.... only the decisions and actions you take are in your hands.

In corps, that translates to how much effort you decide to put into your own gig, which fortunately, I did my very best all the time regardless of factor X.

When a corps has a bad year, they certainly know it. (We ALL know which corps is thinking that now.)

It's funny, my first thought was Madison, then Phantom, then Crossmen... lol

I still don't know who you mean. :thumbup:

I don't wanna know, and it doesn't matter. It's just funny how perspective changes things.

Edited by sydstranda

"When I marched"...I love reminiscing....My most immediate concern (other than doing my best) was besting the next corps ahead of us, and staying ahead of the one behind us. It wouldn't be until near the end of the season where I would start thinking..."ya know...it's possible we could win this thing."

Edited by G-Rott

We only had one goal. That was to make finals. Didn't care who was in front or behind or by how much. We just had the goal of finals in mind and never gave up that goal, untill the rain started pouring on our semifinals show and everything that could go wrong, went wrong. Walking off the field I knew then and there it was over, but it was still the best summer of my life. Without a second thought. Thanks 84 members and staff. I still look back fondly.

I marched two very interesting years of drum corps: Cadets 2006 and 2007.

I've always wanted to ask this question of someone who marched in those years because, though they were well performed, they were not particularly considered fan favorites and didn't get the same degree of fan response as other, lower placing shows.

Did you ever regret marching where you did? Not because of the way 8 judges placed you or the cameraderie, but just the feeling of "If I had it to do over, I would have marched in a corps that was better appreciated." Or did it serve as further motivation (i.e. you and me against the world.)

Obviously, in your case it's Cadets but I don't mean for this to be a question limited to that corps, nor do I mean to bash them, but let's face it: primarily for reasons of show design they weren't crowd favorites in the years you marched.

And if someone here marched another corps' "unpopular" show -- and every corps has at least one, notwithstanding their ultimate placement -- feel free to jump in.

At this point, many corps (fans, etc.) have come to the inevitable certainty of the final product of the year, and additionally, a pretty good estimate where the corps will finish.

When you marched, did you ever come to a point when you felt disappointed because you realized that the corps wasn't going to finish as high in the standings as you originally thought? I realize that the overall score means various things to different people, but still, the overriding feeling that your product isn't as good as you thought it would be is still discouraging to many.

I'm guilty of this. I went as far as secretly planning to audition for a different corps the following year. Ended up not happening because I joined the military... but if I hadn't, I would have moved to a different corps.

Good thing I didn't though, I don't really like that corps anymore. :P