Company Front Palooza

In years past, one company front at the end of a show garnered great applause because it was a nearly impossible feat. Now, I think there's an average of about 12 company fronts per show per corps. What used to be a potent spice is now table salt.

Company fronts are so ubiquitous now, and appear to be so easy to do, audiences barely respond.

Which shows have difficult drill set pieces this year? Are audiences recognizing them?

I agree that corps seem to do them too often these days, but I think you are over exaggerating a bit. Best effect (in my opinion, of course) from a company front top three:

1.) 87' Garfield

2.) 88' SCV

3.) 90' Star of Indiana

This last one is one you HAVE to see if you like company fronts out of nowhere. George Zingali was a genious (RIP). Honorable mention goes to Blue Devils rotating fronts to big front in 76',77, etc...

(snip)

That all said, I want to see a giant line on a 45 degree angle move across the field traveling at 45 degrees. That'd be one hell of a company front!

Watch 88' SCV. Not really what you're describing here, but it reminded me of that moment in the end of their show.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I saw it, I immediately thought of the dazzling scatter to company front in the 97 SCV show.

I don't get the automatic assumption that SCV's treatment of App Spring has anything to do with Cadets 87 since SCV was doing it long before that.

It isn't about the composition, it is about design. There are many familiar design elements in SCV 2009 show that didn't happen before Garfield's 1987 show. I noted in another post that the designer of SCV 2009 show marched Garfield 1987.

Company fronts are like playing the stock market and ignoring mutual funds while going with a high risk investment. If it pays off great - if it doesn't you're in trouble.