Company Front Palooza

Watch the end of Cadets 07 over...and over...and over...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't there a song about that? "We march in Phantom 'cause we like straight lines..." :bigsmile:

I've heard quite a few variations.

"We march in Phantom 'cause we like to wear white."

or, post 1992 when I marched:

"We march in Phantom 'cause we like 8th place." :tongue:

Ironic since, only 3 years later, my corps placed 8th and we really DID like it. :tongue:

I've heard quite a few variations.

"We march in Phantom 'cause we like to wear white."

or, post 1992 when I marched:

"We march in Phantom 'cause we like 8th place." :tongue:

Ironic since, only 3 years later, my corps placed 8th and we really DID like it. :bigsmile:

"Marchin' Phantom cuz I can't play jazz"

"Marchin' Phantom cuz I don't run fast"

Every time I hear 08 Crown play William Tell I hear that running through my head.

Company fronts are set up off of the hash marks or the yard numbers painted on the field. Because of this, all company fronts are now straight as an arrow goal-line-to-goal-line with perfect intervals.

Except for them being straight, I agree. Company fronts are often set up on the hash lines or a couple of steps back. Makes things much easier than if they were 12.259 steps from the front sideline.

"Marchin' Phantom cuz I can't play jazz"

"Marchin' Phantom cuz I don't run fast"

Every time I hear 08 Crown play William Tell I hear that running through my head.

Times they are a changing....back in the late '80's it was:

I march in Phantom cause I like 4th Place,

sung to the 1812 Overture

And it was:

Get off the F***en buss

sang to On the Waterfront

Does anyone know when the first "scatter drill" happened in the middle of any show? The earliest one I can think of is before SCV's "Great Gate" closer in 1986. But I'm sure I'm not aware of an earlier one. (Just curious to see who was the first to throw that into the mix ... since it is now a constant staple of drum corps shows.)

1971 Cavaliers Circus Show ... a quick scatter into two multi-file fronts. Totally freaked out M&M and GE judges early season. Mid to late season scores got trashed in absence of talk of penalty for the moves. Kinda makes one think of some of discussions on innovation and judge-ability and scoring of later (current) generation body movement, forms, theatrics exhibited.

And a big difference in awe of company fronts in the 60's-80's was fact that most fields didn't have extensive yard line let alone hash marking provided for corps in the HS venues most often performed. Look at many shows from 70's and consider some of the drill sets and transitions accomplished without yard line references beyond the 50 -- even Whitewater back in the early days.

Edited by parkbench

As Mark Sylvester said on BK's designer commentary from SA:

" The crowd applauds, thats why we do it."

As Mark Sylvester said on BK's designer commentary from SA:

" The crowd applauds, thats why we do it."

Didn't he also say something like "I've put a company front in every show I've designed because the crowd expects it" or "because the crowd wants it"... or something like that?

Didn't he also say something like "I've put a company front in every show I've designed because the crowd expects it" or "because the crowd wants it"... or something like that?

Yes, he did. Can you disagree?