Company Front Palooza

Amen to that. Honestly a horizontal line doesn't even impress me that much because it's easier to hide slight imperfections when it's parallel to the side line. I'm way more impressed by long straight lines parallel to the yard lines, which are a lot more exposed.

WHAT?! That feels incredibly like the opposite of how it actually works. Vertical lines are so much easier to clean, since you not only have yard lines all around you to guide off of, but you can also directly see the person in front of you to guide from as well.

A horizontal line looks more like a curve 90% of the time than it does a straight line. Guiding left and right while looking/playing forward means you're only seeing just enough to figure out what the person to your left and right is doing, and if each person sees it just an inch wrong, there's going to be a massive bubble in your horizontal line.

That all said, I want to see a giant line on a 45 degree angle move across the field traveling at 45 degrees. That'd be one hell of a company front!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, my first double post

Edited by ouooga

Most of them aren't really all that straight nowadays. The idea of a company front suffices, I guess.

At Atlanta, they had a tick mark that was at 14 from the sideline (where the top of the college numbers is at) and every company front that passed that tick mark was always straight. There are a lot of corps that do have them.

In reference to Cadets 1987...Just watched this on FN...I have a question about that soloist at the end....Was he really playing or doing a visual to make it look like he was playing? This is not meant to disrespect the musician whoever he is....

He was definitely playing. The crowd (myself included) just couldn't stand it and overtook the moment. Unfortunately he was covered up the night of finals in Madison. However, I have a Hi Cam tape from Semi-finals that has the ending the way I saw it before that - and you can totally hear him.. A truly magical ending.

He was definitely playing. The crowd (myself included) just couldn't stand it and overtook the moment. Unfortunately he was covered up the night of finals in Madison. However, I have a Hi Cam tape from Semi-finals that has the ending the way I saw it before that - and you can totally hear him.. A truly magical ending.

I've been told by people in the know that he didn't play at Finals, so that the crowd would appear to overtake him. I don't think he's playing at the end of the FN video, which I assume is from the Finals performance.

Company fronts become much more prevalent when the tick system went away. Think of how many ticks you would get when you have 50-100 corps members right in front of the judge trying to keep in step and in a straight line...true suicide back in the day of ticks.

I can't remember the exact date of the change from ticks to the current system, but I think it was sometime in the 80's. Now, we just have to give the judges the "impression" that the company front is good rather than having them stand in front of the corps counting errors.

Cadets 1987. Troopers 1995. Probably SCV 2009.

What is it with App Spring and inaudible endings?