Favorite Cadets Rendition of

What's your fav?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. What's your fav?

• 1984 - West Side Story - 98.00 - 1st
    • 1994 - West Side Story: Hot & Cool To Go - 97.7 - 2nd
    • 2009 - West Side Story: Conflict & Resolution - ? - ?

Btw .... 84 Hands down. Awesome Solo's, great drill, less chopping of the music. Overall, a better product (even if guard doesn't live up to today's standards).

It's refreshing to know that people who may not have been born in 1984, or never saw this ' 84 production live, can still appreciate what a classic, all time great Corps production this was.

Today, most of us agree that seeing and hearing a Drum Corps live is so much better than seeing it on a video tape. And this is true also for the Cadets 1984 West Side Story production. It was absolutely awesome live. Seeing on tape, especially on the older audio and visual tapes from the 80's doesn't really do it justice either.

I'll put in a plug for Holy Name Cadets drill and visual this year though. What the Cadets are doing this year in their drill is incredibly demanding of it's members and they pull it off spectacularly, in my opinion. ' 94 is a good blend of both visual and music. But the word " classic " is reserved for just the few. ' Cadets 84 fits the bill, it seems to me.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's refreshing to know that people who may not have been born in 1984, or never saw this ' 84 production live, can still appreciate what a classic, all time great Corps production this was.

Today, most of us agree that seeing and hearing a Drum Corps live is so much better than seeing it on a video tape. And this is true also for the Cadets 1984 West Side Story production. It was absolutely awesome live.

I'll put in a plug for Holy Name Cadets drill and visual this year though. What the Cadets are doing this year in their drill is incredibly demanding of it's members and they pull it off spectacularly, in my opinion. ' 94 is a good blend of both visual and music. But the word " classic " is reserved for just the few. ' Cadets 84 fits the bill, it seems to me.

:bigsmile: Agree 100%.

Let me put in a plug, too, for 1994 though and how absolutely FANTASTIC the music arranging was. It was SO smooth, so busy but so clear...it's astounding. Great brassline as well.

1984...and it's not even a close second for me.

I'm enjoying some aspects of this year's show (mostly, the "back to bascis" Gah-field approach), but still find the horn book a bit choppy and frenetic for my taste. Like the guard and drill design a lot this year, too.

But 1984? Perfection!

Which two?

Somewhere is the only selection from WSS in the 1990 show.

It was Bernstein tribute show with:

Candide Overture

Mass

Somewhere

Fancy Free

and a Reprise

Early plans for that year were for an all Mass show, but they changed it to a Bernstein tribute late in the off season. Sounds kind of like this year except in reverse huh??

Another interesting fact about 90 is that the corps was supposed to perform the show for Bernstein in Tanglewood, MA but he was to 'ill' he died shortly after later that year.

There was more than just "Tonight" in the reprise segment of the show .... a ton more. There was even some Copland thrown in just for kicks. Listen closer.

Hey there since you marched in 90 is it true that there were plans to perform the show for Bernstein himself?

90 is one of my favorite Cadets shows of all time, I think the descending z-pull is one of the greatest moments ever! :bigsmile:

Another interesting fact about 90 is that the corps was supposed to perform the show for Bernstein in Tanglewood, MA but he was to 'ill' he died shortly after later that year.

Oh wow...what that would have been like! I wonder if Bernstein liked the drum corps renditions of his music, or even knew of them. I'm sure he probably didn't care for the millions of high school marching bands trying it...who would...but a drum corps!

1984. There are a couple of reasons:

1 - It represented the first (and one of the best) completely integrated musical/visual packages. This was Zingali, Prime, Hannum et al, at their finest (at least to that point). Never felt that either visual or musical overwhelmed the other and Zingali's visual representation of tension and release and style via line, form weight (density), staging and velocity are something to behold. As much as I enjoy today's shows, I find this level of muscial/visual interpretation lacking. We seem to get all sorts of cool visual events, but I am missing the relationship to the musical elements that George protrayed.

2 - Barbara Maroney. On the money, never fail, excellence on some beautifully-written solos, night after night, all season long.

3 - Moving drum line. Dear goodness, I still don't know how Zingali convinced Hannum to let him split the drum line into pieces 20-30 yards apart and make them actaully MOVE for the show (another influential part of that show).

4 - OK, I marched it so I am admittedly biased.

1. 1984 a true Classic and groundbreaking show the best by a substantial margin for me. Hard to compare following WSS versions to this show.

2. 2009 I love the drill and the 'classic garfield ending with a little sacktig cadets thrown in'.

3. 1994 I marched this show. It was kind of a let down after 93, the drill was much slower and 'easier to march' if there is such a thing from Marc Sylvester. It was a much more 'relaxed' year than my rookie year of 93. Talk about intense.....

Hey there since you marched in 90 is it true that there were plans to perform the show for Bernstein himself?

That is true. A friend who was in the '90 guard was just mentioning that to me recently. She said they had been working extra hard for it and were really excited. Then when it was canceled, they thought they would at least get a free day or something. Instead they had rehearsal and were p*ssed. lol

That is true. A friend who was in the '90 guard was just mentioning that to me recently. She said they had been working extra hard for it and were really excited. Then when it was canceled, they thought they would at least get a free day or something. Instead they had rehearsal and were p*ssed. lol

LOL - they should have known better than to expect a free day :bigsmile: