Holy Name Cadets -- Allentown

All is well in Cadet nation today:) The kids were up early for another typical day of "how do we get better". George had a talk with the kids and it seems the only ones talking about what happened last night are the DCPers. Since I have been around the Cadets this year, especially this year with it being their 75th anniversary, I have met so many parents of the kids, alumni of the corps, and volunteers who once marched that talk about what it was like when they marched. For instance, their is one volunteer Scotty who marched when the corps was Holy Name Cadets then became Garfield Cadets. Wow, what stories. Then there is Ben, who aged out the 2007 year and is now the guy you see in full uniform at every show representing the alumni. When putting on his Cadet uniform I watch him put it on with pride and honor to have been part of something he will never forget. There are decades of years between Scotty and Ben but when they speak of marching with Holy Name Cadets you can hear it in their voices that it was and remains something special.

Last night at the show when Cavaliers were performing there was a quiet moment in their show and then you could hear behind the stadium the Cadets singing Holy Name. Even for me, not being an alumni of the Cadets, it brought chills listening.

Back to the day. There was some changes with today's schedule with ensemble held early because of the threat of rain. The kids are still working hard cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. Those couple of horns that didn't march last night were back at practice today. Horn line is sounding good and what can I say about the color guard; I'm not going to be surprised to see them capture top honors in that caption. The drum line is back to form performing at a high level. The corps looked great today playing with lots of emotion from the opening note of Prologue to the last chord to the ending of the show. There is rain forecasted for the day and we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out. For now the Cadets are preparing for a show this evening. We head out of here around 5:30 for J. Birney Crum stadium hoping for the best.

I'm still sticking to what I've been saying all along. This is going to be a year remembered as one of Cadets special years! See you in Allentown.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Thanks for your continued updates Irving!

Why did the "couple of horns" not march last night? Hope HNC isn't starting to get hit with the virus that's been going around!!

The one horn (tuba) was resting from bronchitis issues. I'm not sure of the other horn player. But the corps is healthy and no virus threat.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

All is well in Cadet nation today:) The kids were up early for another typical day of "how do we get better". George had a talk with the kids and it seems the only ones talking about what happened last night are the DCPers. Since I have been around the Cadets this year, especially this year with it being their 75th anniversary, I have met so many parents of the kids, alumni of the corps, and volunteers who once marched that talk about what it was like when they marched. For instance, their is one volunteer Scotty who marched when the corps was Holy Name Cadets then became Garfield Cadets. Wow, what stories. Then there is Ben, who aged out the 2007 year and is now the guy you see in full uniform at every show representing the alumni. When putting on his Cadet uniform I watch him put it on with pride and honor to have been part of something he will never forget. There are decades of years between Scotty and Ben but when they speak of marching with Holy Name Cadets you can hear it in their voices that it was and remains something special.

Last night at the show when Cavaliers were performing there was a quiet moment in their show and then you could hear behind the stadium the Cadets singing Holy Name. Even for me, not being an alumni of the Cadets, it brought chills listening.

Back to the day. There was some changes with today's schedule with ensemble held early because of the threat of rain. The kids are still working hard cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. Those couple of horns that didn't march last night were back at practice today. Horn line is sounding good and what can I say about the color guard; I'm not going to be surprised to see them capture top honors in that caption. The drum line is back to form performing at a high level. The corps looked great today playing with lots of emotion from the opening note of Prologue to the last chord to the ending of the show. There is rain forecasted for the day and we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out. For now the Cadets are preparing for a show this evening. We head out of here around 5:30 for J. Birney Crum stadium hoping for the best.

I'm still sticking to what I've been saying all along. This is going to be a year remembered as one of Cadets special years! See you in Allentown.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

YOU are fabulous!! Thanks so much for the update. I have just taken to keeping a box of kleenex by the computer! Gotta LOVE the life lessons being taught. Hope to meet you in Indianapolis!

J. Gross

Center snare Mom

The one horn (tuba) was resting from bronchitis issues. I'm not sure of the other horn player. But the corps is healthy and no virus threat.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

The show has been delayed an hour. Cadets perform at 10:00 pm. Thank you drum corps God!

Irving

Fan of the Arts

YOU are fabulous!! Thanks so much for the update. I have just taken to keeping a box of kleenex by the computer! Gotta LOVE the life lessons being taught. Hope to meet you in Indianapolis!

J. Gross

Center snare Mom

I love that picture you have as your avatar. Is that from this year?

Irving, I love your updates. Few posts on DCP are able to capture the true drum corps spirit as well as yours. Makes me wish I could be a part of something so special.