Allentown VODs

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand warming up but there is no excuse for a drumline BANGING AWAY for 10 minutes straight within yards of the contest site. It is bad enough show design today incorporates very soft and musical can hardly hear a pin drop moments in their show. It got to the point where people in the stands were not even looking at the field the heads were turned toward the outer reaches past the goal posts to see what was going on. If I was a director, I would have pulled my corps off the field. There used to be penatlites for this type of thing.

The warmup area (general vacinity) in Allentown is the park. The park is in a bowl below the stadium. No matter where or how far you put your corps to warm up ... the sound is going to get up there. There's really no way around it. The drumline that could be heard during Troopers show was probably about 3/4 of a mile down the road ... yes seriously. Also remember that the stadium is not THE very top of the hill. There is a street just above the pressbox.... with a large retaining wall behind it .... so you're going to get echo and really hear EVERYTHING going on lower down the hill.

Seriously, ................. IT'S ALLENTOWN! That's the way it is.

The warmup area (general vacinity) in Allentown is the park. The park is in a bowl below the stadium. No matter where or how far you put your corps to warm up ... the sound is going to get up there. There's really no way around it. The drumline that could be heard during Troopers show was probably about 3/4 of a mile down the road ... yes seriously. Also remember that the stadium is not THE very top of the hill. There is a street just above the pressbox.... with a large retaining wall behind it .... so you're going to get echo and really hear EVERYTHING going on lower down the hill.

Seriously, ................. IT'S ALLENTOWN! That's the way it is.

uhggg Allentown. The only thing that makes Allentown tolerable is the fan base there. That venue is the worst for the performers. When I think of Allentown, I remember pulling pit equipmet a mile up that hill in the heat. Gives me tired-head just thinking about it. I also remember getting beat by the Ventures in percussion. They didn't even have a marching battery an yet they still beat us ('89 Sky Ryders) :thumbup:

Edited by jplattSCV

acceptable but unfortunate: hearing corps that are warming up during other corps' shows

not acceptable and you should get a 50 point penalty: running your f-ing Dr. Beat during warm ups that can be heard in the stadium during shows. If it is guards doing this, the staff needs to suck it up and click drum sticks instead.

Well it look's like the ghost of Birney is still playing Allentown. During some of the corps performances you can hear some of the other corps warming up. Especially during the ballads. Now I've played at Allentown before and I know that the parking and warm up areas for the corps are limited but you would think something could be done to minimize the background noise. I know it's not the corps warming ups fault but it does kind of take away from the corps playing on the field.

I didn't look at the other posts, but I have to say that you hear it on the VODs because I heard it AT THE SHOW. I was on the 50 yard line right next to the judges in section R and you could hear the drums from other groups while the show was going on. It is my opinion that that staging area was way too close to the stadium.

I would also like to add that having gone to Allentown for many years now...the drums warm-up was definitely more distracting than usual. I'm not sure if the newer aluminum upper deck versus the old wood upper stands has anything to do with it or not...but I doubt it.

Edited by Liahona

Wow, what a bold and intolerant statement...

"banging away"? Sounds like a bari-bone player comment to me... and sorry that show design has gotten too musical and artistic for you. If you can't handle it, go back to your "starting line"

Flag on the Play - Uncalled for. I went to the West Chester show the other night. Don't get me wrong... I like dynamic contrast and everything. But certain parts of certain shows were so quiet, I couldn't hear them just over the "stadium noise." I didn't even have to put up with additional racket. Just the sounds of an outdoor performance prevented things from being heard. It has nothing to do with being artistic. Just using common sense during show design. Frankly, if you want to get dynamic contrast, but can't go too soft, make your louds LOUDER! That's how we did things in "the old days" - yeah... like 10 years ago. No amplification, mixing board, microphones, extension cords or sound techs required.

Flag on the Play - Uncalled for. I went to the West Chester show the other night. Don't get me wrong... I like dynamic contrast and everything. But certain parts of certain shows were so quiet, I couldn't hear them just over the "stadium noise." I didn't even have to put up with additional racket. Just the sounds of an outdoor performance prevented things from being heard. It has nothing to do with being artistic. Just using common sense during show design. Frankly, if you want to get dynamic contrast, but can't go too soft, make your louds LOUDER! That's how we did things in "the old days" - yeah... like 10 years ago. No amplification, mixing board, microphones, extension cords or sound techs required.

Unfortunately, with the set up DCI has now, corps will be designing their programming and practicing to create their best show in a dorm environment, not outdoors.

I love the fact that some feel the need to comment that "its part of the Allentown experience". I've competed there at least 5 times in senior corps and NO it's not part of the experience. Or at least it should not be. God forbid that the same thing would happend during BD, HNC, Cavies or Crown while they were doing their ballads. This forum would light up like a Christmas tree. Warming up is one thing but going at it all out is another. During one corps I heard the other corps pit coming from one side of the stadium and the battery from the other. I guess it's ok though as long as it doesn't happen to your favorite corps. :thumbup: