Show Changes that Ruined a Show for You.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What late-season changes to a show, that you loved early on, ruined it for you?

Cadets 2002. LOVED it early on, but by the end of the season they'd thrown in so much stuff designed to pull everyone's patriotic strings (Pledge of Allegiance, Iwo Jima, fire truck at Finals) that the show became too cloying. I couldn't watch it anymore.

Going way back, (minor visual change here) but in 1978 Jim Campbell took out a stick visual "stick toss exchange" that we (Schaumburg Guardsmen) had. He determined that no sticks should leave your hands intentionally... probably pretty smart for that time.

In 1982 while with Madison we shortened a drum break in "Strawberry Soup" that was still effective after the change, but the part taken out was so awesome it was sad to take it out... :thumbup: I guess maybe it was more fun to play it than it was effective to the piece of music.

1994 Phantom Regiment.

When I saw that puppy in Merrilville, IN, it was very early in the year. Yeah, they were dirty as ####, but you could tell that was going to be a monster show.

The next time I saw them was at the Pittsfield show, and they had changed that show so much it really ###### me off. It wasn't unrecognizeable or anything like that...its just that all the things I liked about the show, they took out or changed. I was very surprised to see them beat Cavaliers and Vanguard at Finals that year, I thought they deserved 5th.

Honorable Mention: 1989 Star of Indiana.

I liked what they had early season, but they changed a lot for Finals. Overall, it was better for their vision, I guess, but I think they could have snuck into the top five that year if they had kept what they had and just cleaned it. I mean, they were running tight with Devils and not far behind Phantom at some point that season...beat Devs, Cavies, and Cadets at a regional that year...

I completely agree with both Cadets '02 (loved the early season Field of Dreams ballad) and Bluecoats 07.

1994 Phantom Regiment.

When I saw that puppy in Merrilville, IN, it was very early in the year. Yeah, they were dirty as ####, but you could tell that was going to be a monster show.

The next time I saw them was at the Pittsfield show, and they had changed that show so much it really ###### me off. It wasn't unrecognizeable or anything like that...its just that all the things I liked about the show, they took out or changed. I was very surprised to see them beat Cavaliers and Vanguard at Finals that year, I thought they deserved 5th.

Honorable Mention: 1989 Star of Indiana.

I liked what they had early season, but they changed a lot for Finals. Overall, it was better for their vision, I guess, but I think they could have snuck into the top five that year if they had kept what they had and just cleaned it. I mean, they were running tight with Devils and not far behind Phantom at some point that season...beat Devs, Cavies, and Cadets at a regional that year...

Interesting...what changes did they make to these shows?

Interesting...what changes did they make to these shows?

They added music and truncated other parts of the show (1994 PR), and Star basically re-wrote the entire last half of drill if I remember. Maybe took out some music too.

Ill let people who marched those shows talk about what was changed...all I remember is that I liked both those shows early on, and then when i saw them again, I was not impressed.