The Future of Drum Corps?

Disclaimer: This post is offered as an opportunity to stimulate an important discussion, NOT to criticize.

I don't know what qualifies someone as knowledgeable enough to make observations or offer opinions that will be taken seriously within this activity. I offer my observations as someone who has never marched or instructed, but as someone who has observed both admirable and reprehensible conduct of not only individuals but organizations within the drum corps activity. While this is naturally true about nearly any kind of activity you can think of, the reason I write this post is because I truly believe that the tremendous amount of good that this activity offers young people far outweighs the selfishness and pettiness that, in my opinion, is steadily on the rise.

In these troubled times, DCI and DCA need to look very carefully at what their roles in the future of the OVERALL activity will be. There is undoubtedly a steady decline in participation. While there is a natural tendency to focus on the blame for this decline, focus should instead be on what to do to reverse the decline. The participants of this activity should be able to look to the collective experience of the officials in both DCI and DCA to provide enough leadership to guide this activity through the inevitable changes ahead. At the same time these same officials should be leading in the effort to INCREASE the number of opportunities for young people to enjoy the positive experiences that drum corps provides.

I invite DCI and DCA officials especially, but also the corps organizations and drum corps fans everywhere to answer the following questions:

1) What SPECIFICALLY are you doing to INCREASE the oportunities in drum corps for young people everywhere?

2) What SPECIFICALLY are you doing to promote the drum corps activity, ESPECIALLY AT THE BEGINNER LEVEL?

3) Does a 12,13,14,15,16,etc. year-old with no money and no prior musical experience but a strong desire to learn, have a future in drum corps?

It is my opinion that if these issues are not addressed with open minds and soon, the drum corps activity will be reduced to a small, elitist tour of well connected and/or wealthy performers interested in little more than their egos and/or their wallets. One last thing. It would show some integrity if those of you wishing to respond would use your real names.

Rick Melcher

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rick, very well spoken. Let me throw in a couple of notes to the conversation however just as points to consider not to take away from what you wrote. Because, again it was very well put together and appreciated. As far as DCA goes that is a completely different animal which as far as I have heard has already taken some good steps to improve the overall activity. In my opinion it is in DCA's best interest and in Drum Corps best interest for DCA to continue to take the path they are taking and to explore ways of improving their overall success as opposed to bailing out DCI from its own destruction. Hopefully DCI will figure it out before the scenario you describe comes to pass. Which in my mind isn't too far off. Lastly, what some of us may consider as I described as destruction to "some others" I believe it is more of a vision than a destruction.

Edited by bmroth1

1) What SPECIFICALLY are you doing to INCREASE the oportunities in drum corps for young people everywhere?

2) What SPECIFICALLY are you doing to promote the drum corps activity, ESPECIALLY AT THE BEGINNER LEVEL?

3) Does a 12,13,14,15,16,etc. year-old with no money and no prior musical experience but a strong desire to learn, have a future in drum corps?

Rick Melcher

Rick,

I've posted here before about the need to use the stimulus package education money to generate beginning "Parade Corps" in the cities. Inner city public schools are failing, and Indianapolis Public Schools are among the nation's worst. What is happening is that IPS is strapped for revenue because there is no taxable real estate value in the inner city. So all the financially viable kids move out and go to the big schools not part of IPS-- Ben Davis, North Cental, Warren Central, ect. Though these schools are in the city, these huge public high schools are "township" funded and they have big expensive band programs that are great. Meanwhile, the inner city kids have no band programs or very bad ones, so the need arises for a marching centered activity not connected to the public schools. Every big city in states where property taxes drive education funding has similar issues (Atlanta, Chicago, Cincy, ect.).

A related issue to the decline and fall of American education is the lack of discipline in American youth. Lets not forget that it was a perceived lack of discipline that generated the burgeoning drum corps during the great depression. In that time, there was a social demand for an activity that would teach military discipline to young boys. This social demand is where the Boy Scouts of America came from, the boys and girls clubs of American, and the Salvation Army (which used to have a marching band). It is also where the Cadets and Cavaliers came from. Horns and Drums are peripheral to the main aim of drum corps, which is to teach military discipline.

I believe that discipline is basic to education. Without discipline, it doesn't matter how much money we spend on public baby sitting, I meant public schools. Public Schools in America have become just some place to send your kids during the day while mom and dad are at work--because both mom and dad have to work or the family fails financially. Its no wonder the schools can't teach kids anything, because the out numbered teachers have NO RECOURSE TO DISCIPLINE. Without even the threat of corporal discipline in schools, kids commonly scoff at other "nice" attempts to discipline them. It used to be the principal's job to see to the kid's discipline. Now his job is to keep the school system and its board members from getting sued by frivolous parents and there scalp happy lawyers.

So, in answer to your question: What am I doing to help beginning drum corps? I'm taking steps to see what can be done, what grant money may be available (there is none that I know of as it stands today). Trying to stimulate debate on whether there should be public funds available, and attempting to make people aware of the need for discipline centered youth activities.

Sincerely,

Peter Harter

palamambron@gmail.com

What would happen if DCA resurrected all or some of the local DCM and DCE etc circuits and brought them under their wing? Giving the smaller corps a place to be and something else to strive for besides DCI finals? Starting earlier in the year?

Great post, Rick.

I think DCI's response to this would be that they are recruiting from the high school marching band world and that is THEIR training. It was pretty much like that when I march 20 years ago. I think that DCI is looking to shed the smaller, open class corps. All they care about is themselves and their activities. I don't think they think of themselves as the "torch bearer" for drum and bugle corps. I'm not sure whether that is part of their mission statement or their corporate charter. It's a matter of focus for them. I think they're trying to execute their business plan. That plan probably doesn't include what many of "us" think it should.

I have no idea what DCA does, really. From the outside, it looks like they have their big groups, alumni, and smaller division. Then there is the mini corps. It sounds good to this outsider, but I don't know how it all connects. I don't live out East, so I've never been involved with them....

As far as me....

1 ) I'm not doing anything to help kids right now and I feel bad. The economy is bad. I'm broke. I have given kids instruments in the past so that they can participate in their beginning band programs. I hope that these kids will eventually do corps.

2) When I was involved in an agency where we worked with problem children, I would take a large group of them to DCI shows. Some would be really interested. I would try to point them in the right direction, but then it was again up to their local band program. We never did have enough money to start a corps.

3) I don't think a large group of them have a chance to do drum corps. Maybe they can try for sponsorship, but they really need to get started in their local band program...

See a pattern here? The answer is likely to be that these kids need to get some form of education from their local band program.

Thanks for opening the thread!

Jeff

I have waited until there were a few other responses before I wanted to put my two cents in. I definitely like the idea of reviving regional drum corps organizations and parade corps. These ideas would require less travel and expenses while increasing opportunities. I also think that there are any number of local festivals, county fairs, etc. that could provide both performance and parade opportunities. One last idea; no scores, only critique until the last couple of weeks of the season. This would provide opportunity for improvement without having to regard the other performers as opponents.

I am glad to see the responses here are positive and respectful. I know that DCI finals are only days away and I think DCA finals are in a couple of weeks but I really would like to hear from someone from those two organizations directly. I could call them and have a private conversation but I think the conversation needs to be as public as possible.

Rick,

There are a lot of things in your post to mull over.

I wish I had some ideas on how to help the overall health of the Junior Corps activity, as I agree that the trends aren't very good. It does look like there is a need for an organization that is dedicated to the growth and health of the activity as a whole, and that would actively work for a resurgence of opportunities for younger and more diverse participants. I don't, however, have anything to propose along those lines, and worry very much about the answers to your question #3.

As to numbers 1 and 2, we are trying. This group is has just completed their first full year, and are growing.

Crescent City Cadets.

DCA is doing what it should....making the option to perform available to anyone of any age. they are growing slowly but surely nationwide, and making sure that they dont get out of control in the proccess