Scranton - Parade of Champions

Does it really mattter? Is the Hurcs guard going to put them over the top against Reading? Bucs could have spotted the Hurcs the entire guard caption and still won last night. Hell...after their OTL, Bucs could have performed the rest of their show to a drum tap....and STILL won last night!

Hee hee maybe they should try this one day.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MrFun,

Actually, the Allentown area has an incredible amount of practice sites, more than DCI would ever need. During the 80's this Allentown DCI event hosted 58 corps, more than the current 21-22. Besides, the recent DCI event here included local housing for just 8-10 corps. But, thanks for your input!

Jeff Ream said:

"Well next year, make it a later date and we can make it bigger yet!"

I agree totally. For one thing, I remember when the Scranton show used to be ten corps, not just six or seven. I think it was always the 2nd or 3rd Saturday in August. I remember going to both the old (now renovated) stadium, then the new Lackawanna County stadium, and seeing ten corps compete for the DCA 'Regional' championship, even before Dr. Sebastianelli obtained permission to make it the A.L. National Championship in 1997.

Also, the 2008 show was on August 16, two weeks later than this year. Even if DCA and DCI cannot collaborate on a joint combined show, let's hope they at least can coordinate their schedules better. A little more communication between DCA, DCI and the Legion people in Scranton could result in a bigger, better show for everyone next year, with no conflict.

MrFun,

Actually, the Allentown area has an incredible amount of practice sites, more than DCI would ever need. During the 80's this Allentown DCI event hosted 58 corps, more than the current 21-22. Besides, the recent DCI event here included local housing for just 8-10 corps. But, thanks for your input!

Can I ask then, why were DCI corps having problems securing rehearsal facilities for Allentown weekend this year???? :rolleyes:

Liz,

Who, specifically, are you talking about?

There might well have been issues over housing, as the Allentown School District has most of its buildings ripped-up in renovation, but I saw MANY adequate fields idle that weekend, each within 5 miles of the stadium. If a certain corps could not find a suitable location, I'm thinking that corps didn't do what it needed to do BEFOREHAND.

August 12, 1989 "The last time..."

On a day where almost none of the current membership of dci was even born, the Empire Statesmen placed 7th in Scranton, PA at the dca regional contest. After the Scranton decision in '89, Empire leapfrogs Crusaders, Steel City and Westshoremen to place 4th at dca.

In almost 20 more years of competition, the Empire Statesmen would never place below 4th at any contest.

From 1990-1999, Empire places no lower than 3rd at any show, with 4 World Championships and 3 runners up.

From 2000-2008, Empire places no lower than 4th at any show with 1 World Championship and 3 runners up.

After placing 4th in 2008's Clifton NJ show, Empire leaps over Cabs and Connecticut to place 2nd at dca prelims.

OK, the Statesmen placed 5th at Scranton in 2009. It might be a good idea to give them the benefit of the doubt and keep an eye on the ol' rear view mirror.

While the chat boards are buzzing, the Statesmen will be working.

Liz,

There might well have been issues over housing, as the Allentown School District has most of its buildings ripped-up in renovation, but I saw MANY adequate fields idle that weekend, each within 5 miles of the stadium. If a certain corps could not find a suitable location, I'm thinking that corps didn't do what it needed to do BEFOREHAND.

I'd have to go back on Facebook for a month but there were corps out there begging for links/connections/people in the know to/for facilities so they weren't an hour away or more.

MrFun,

Very True. I remember How DCI East Use to be. Prelims starting early friday morning etc. But since then School systems have changed and not as many are willing to house corps & have their facilities used. But yeah it would be great if this could happen. Just don't see it becoming a reality. Glad I could share some input.

Liz,

There are actually a number of corps that had difficulty.

I was contacted by two. Being a band director 45 miles from Allentown, They were hoping my school would be able to help. Unfortunately we were not. These were situations where they had things locked down months out, but the rug was pulled from under them when they were getting ready to leave the town they were in that night.

They were both taken care of thank goodness.

Also, I have found through the course of trying to secure facilities that not every empty field you see is allowed to be used.

The last 3 high schools i have taught with probably have a combined 50 miles of open fields that we were willing to line ourselves. They still said no. Our own school said no to our band! lol. This is common. What do you think they tell strangers from out of town with no ties to the program? Fortunately some schools are cool that way, but most of the ones i have dealt with have tons of red tape, applications, require board approval etc. etc and even after that they still sometimes say no.

Edited by TastyWaves

Bottom line, there IS a process to follow. If you follow it, you' ll be fine. The Allentown/Lehigh Valley is loaded with practice facilities. No corps should expect to arrive here and have the community fall all over them. The greater community has little, to no appreciation for who you are. Why should they?

Trust me, if the Allentown committee was aware of the practice needs for any corps, WEEKS IN ADVANCE, they would deliver. Let's no confuse securing overnight housing sites with securing practice fields.

TastyWaves, who were the two corps you refer to? I'll investigate and get back to you here with what I find.