Parade of Champions Review

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in "The Day" . . . before B Flat, Jazz runs, soloists on floats, park and blow, Guitars, Microphones etc., we had a very simple plan for a show . . . Opening f/f and OTL - Color Pre - Entry - Concert - Prod. No. and finally the Exit with a closing f/f. Lets not forget a couple of tasty Drum Solos along the way. If you're not sure what any of the others are, their are plenty of us old people around who would be happy to fill you in. I always preferred white bucks or low quarters to Capezzios.

Okay, Dave. Now go back and explain for him what a f/f was... what a color pre was... what a concert was... what a prod. no. was.... what drum solos were.... And possibly even what white bucks were/are....

My, how drum corps has improved over the years.... NOT!!!

I'm sure that made things clear as paint for the person that asked the question. :thumbup: Perfect!

Jerry

Also, if you could not carry it, you did not play it either. Drum corps has come a long way!!

Here's how the judges scored the corps:

1. Buccaneers 88.963 (.3)

2. Hurricanes 86.863

3. MN Brass Inc 85.925

4. Caballeros 85.050

5. Empire Statesmen 83.850

6. Bushwackers 78.150

Here's how I scored the corps:

1. MN Brass Inc 92.238

1. Buccaneers 92.238

3. Caballeros 88.900

4. Hurricanes 87.688

5. Empire Statesmen 85.500

6. Bushwackers 74.725

Your placements were actually what I was thinking .... at first. Then after watching all the corps I moved MBI 2nd. After seeing the Wayne show I was predicting Cabs to pass Hurcs by Scranton, I was wrong, but still feel they will be above them come finals.

BUCS had a great performance although there were some moments that were not as powerful from when I saw them in WAYNE. Could this be after their week off with no rehearsals?, last minute changes regarding their rehearsal site? possibly, but they still came back strong enough to claim the top spot.... and with a penalty. I know there are still more changes and additions to come through August so I do not forsee any slowing in their momentum. They know that to remain ahead to need to continue to keep evolving and looking forward.

If they would have tied the injured Quad player's bad arm behind his back that could have made for a great DCP headline:

BUCS WIN WITH 1 ARM TIED BEHIND THEIR BACK.

HURCS are bringing there A game each week, and I don't think will see BUCS again until Prelims? It will be intersting to see which slot they fill into come Finals. Especially with the number redegades are pulling our west and some of the other corps taking the opportunity to creep closer while Hurcs are busy looking ahead to Bucs.

MBI, It was GREAT to see them at the show! You can definitly see that even though they dont get to go head to head with these other 5 they are using the DCI corps as their personal competitiors and demanding the same respect. IMHO I think the trip to Scranton may have hurt them a little for championships. The anticipation and expectations everyone usually has from not seeing them I feel were put to rest for many. After seeing the program I could see it progressing to overtake Hurcs, probably not Bucs though. I also could see Cabs giving MBI a run to the finish line.

CABS I mentioned a few times and think they are starting to get that taste back in their mouths for top 3 again. I could see August being one heck of a month for rehearsal with this group. Perhaps all the focus on BUCS, HURCS and MBI has taken some pressure off them to start to make their end of season push. Getting to see these 6 corps in the bigger stadium you really got a feel for the field design and IMHO Cabs uses the overall field more than Hurcs. Whenever I've watched Hurcs this season I keep getting the feeling of being too tight within the corp proper, then you factor in the guard and it just feel way too much happening within the 40's. Cabs on the other hand know they have the power of sound and create that wall across the field giving the guard and battery the space they need to stand out more. I think come Labor Day this will be a major factor that will put them over some that are ahead of them at this point. (Plus there is always the possibility of the addition of the smoke that gets the crowd going LOL )

E STATESMEN Well all I have to say is someone had to take the 5th spot. I was disappointed and expected more. When you look at the top 4, and compare to past seasons they all appear to be moving forward with demand and looking to the head of the line for the example. Watching Empire I am sorry to say I did not get this feeling from them. Even their usual "entertainment & pizazz" was lacking. Bad show? perhaps, but this was not the one that anyone could afford to lay a bad egg at. This year's program to me was something I have seen again and again. I think it is time for a new direction away from the flashy & patriotic if they want to play again with the front runners.

BUSH, God bless them, they just keep going. We were counting in the stands and considering that possibility of not making to 10 this year. As an alumni I hope that's not the outcome and that August push kicks in as Bush is always known for. However the possibility is unfortunately there.

As they say "What goes up must come down" and within these 6 there have been many GOLD medals and records broken, taken and gicen up. Each is exceptional in their own way at their own time. Who will it be we are talking about come September we will have to see. I feel it will be another one the BUCS, but regardless the battle for 2-4 is going to be a knockdown, claw scratching, LOUD battle. I just hope no one leaves FINALS with any regrets and takes advantage of the mnth of AUGUST to fine tune all their programs and give the crowd a labor day that we are still talking about on the newsgroups 10-20 years from now.

• 3 weeks later...

I definitely agree with some of these reviews. Being a marcher, and having seen all of the other shows, its going to be a great month. I want to give props to all of the other corps for busting their tails to put on a good show. At the end of the day, thats what we are here for.If Reading wins, then they deserve it, but if someone else wins, then it means they deserved it. Its never too late to catch up, and that goes for all of the corps in the top 6. It seems like I have seen some of the best shows for DCA this year, and unfortunately all at the same time.

Anyone think this is a precursor to what DCA will grow into? With the level of technicality increasing, it seems like we might be shifting to a high octane style of marching than before.