Crown always going to be crowd favorite

I respect Crown a lot and am very glad to see that they are in the top echelon of the activity now because I think that the fresh blood and competition is good for the activity. But I'm not sure what people mean when throw the term 'crowd favorite' around. I've been in the crowd, and I would have to say honestly that Crown has never been in my top 5 favorite corps of the year except for 07, and that year the best they would have done is fourth with me.

By this point in this thread I think we all agree that the OP's assumptions are incorrect and therefore his question is not worth answering outright. So, in order to be able to continue discussing we have completely changed the topic to 'why do you like/hate Crowns' programs in that past ten years. Which is fine, we can go to left field if that is what people want to do. Maybe we should call it something else though?

Edited by 709

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect Crown a lot and am very glad to see that they are in the top echelon of the activity now because I think that the fresh blood and competition is good for the activity. But I'm not sure what people mean when throw the term 'crowd favorite' around. I've been in the crowd, and I would have to say honestly that Crown has never been in my top 5 favorite corps of the year except for 07, and that year the best they would have done is fourth with me.

By this point in this thread I think we all agree that the OP's assumptions are incorrect and therefore his question is not worth answering outright. So, in order to be able to continue discussing we have completely changed the topic to 'why do you like/hate Crowns' programs in that past ten years. Which is fine, we can go to left field if that is what people want to do. Maybe we should call it something else though?

Dear Lord,

Please help the BD fans understand that just because they're *in* the crowd and have a differing opinion doesn't invalidate the concept of "crowd" favorite. We know the BD fans are good at heart but it's really getting tiresome hearing them whine about winning the championship without winning the hearts and minds of the audience. Teach them that it's "OK" for the audience to really like another corps and that the audience doesn't get to write numbers down on sheets.

Amen

I love and respect Crown to death, but always a crowd fav? This year is the first year I've seen them be a crowd fav...in 08 it was Phantom, 07 it was BD, 06 it was Cavis, etc. Weighing this in to consideration, I have to be skeptical of the idea that Crown is always going to be the crowd favorite, especially when we have no idea what drum corps has to bring in the future. I'd also like to point out that while Crown won the "Fan network" choice award, the corps behind them for that award was only 8 votes shy of Crown. That is not much of a gap at all, in fact had most of the people I know even known about this award, it would of easily of gone to that other corps. Crown is an outstanding corps and I respect them for their huge accomplishments and was a bit sad that they didn't pass up BD, but to say that they are going to be a crowd fav forever is silly. We have no idea how good the show concepts will be of other organizations, nor do we know how good the membership and staffs will be. For all we know, Crown's show next year could be a flop (though highly doubtful). And add that to the fact that this year was the first time Crown was named the crowd fav, and it just seems foolish to be making such assumptions. I would again like to point out that I have loved Crown's shows over the past three years, though they haven't been my favorite of the year.

Crowd Favorites:

05 - Cadets

06 - Regiment or Cavies - it was very close I'd say

07 - Crown (Sorry BD - you may have won but I don't think you were crowd favorite - or even 2nd)

08 - Regiment

09 - SCV (Sorry Crown - I think they were crowd faves this year - you may have won FN voting for who you thought should win - but that doesn't mean it was the fave of the crowd.)

Dear Lord,

Please help the BD fans understand that just because they're *in* the crowd and have a differing opinion doesn't invalidate the concept of "crowd" favorite. We know the BD fans are good at heart but it's really getting tiresome hearing them whine about winning the championship without winning the hearts and minds of the audience. Teach them that it's "OK" for the audience to really like another corps and that the audience doesn't get to write numbers down on sheets.

Amen

Where in his post does he state that he is a BD fan?

Crowd Favorites:

05 - Cadets

06 - Regiment or Cavies - it was very close I'd say

07 - Crown (Sorry BD - you may have won but I don't think you were crowd favorite - or even 2nd)

08 - Regiment

09 - SCV (Sorry Crown - I think they were crowd faves this year - you may have won FN voting for who you thought should win - but that doesn't mean it was the fave of the crowd.)

Hmm, I'll edit that with my PERSONAL opinions. But they are just that, my opinions.

05 - Regiment

06 - Cavaliers

07 - Crown

08 - Regiment

09 - Crown

Dear Lord,

Amen

Please help Crown fans understand that it's "OK" for people to like and appreciate what Crown does on the field, but not necessarily consider them their favorite corps, much less the "crowd's" favorite. Nor does that necessarily make them a "BD fan." </sarcasm>

You do realize you're essentially doing the same thing here -- whining about people's opinions who differ from yours?

Please help Crown fans understand that it's "OK" for people to like and appreciate what Crown does on the field, but not necessarily consider them their favorite corps, much less the "crowd's" favorite. Nor does that necessarily make them a "BD fan." </sarcasm>

You do realize you're essentially doing the same thing here -- whining about people's opinions who differ from yours?

Not at all. The mantra "I'm in the audience and *I* don't feel that way so don't you dare speak about what the 'audience' liked or didnt like' has been posted all season and now continues all "off season". It's a crock -- when you're in an audience you have a very good sense for who the crowd reacts to and who leaves them in their seats. You don't have to share the crowd's opinion but you d*** well know what that opinion was.

When this mantra reared it's ugly head (again!) I felt obliged to call it out. So just stop it already. It's really ok if the crowd like cc's show more this year. Really -- its ok. No one's insisting that you *agree* with the crowd. But they did speak pretty loudly -- all season.

FWIW I'm a big fan of the BD's. Doesn't make me less of a Crown fan (or SCV or Phantom or Cadets).

Hmm, I'll edit that with my PERSONAL opinions. But they are just that, my opinions.

05 - Regiment

06 - Cavaliers

07 - Crown

08 - Regiment

09 - Crown

05 Cadets

06 Cavaliers (by the majority) Phantom (by drum corps critics aka minority)

07 Crown

08 Regiment for the show , Crown for the music

09 Crown

Not at all. The mantra "I'm in the audience and *I* don't feel that way so don't you dare speak about what the 'audience' liked or didnt like' has been posted all season and now continues all "off season". It's a crock -- when you're in an audience you have a very good sense for who the crowd reacts to and who leaves them in their seats. You don't have to share the crowd's opinion but you d*** well know what that opinion was.

When this mantra reared it's ugly head (again!) I felt obliged to call it out. So just stop it already. It's really ok if the crowd like cc's show more this year. Really -- its ok. No one's insisting that you *agree* with the crowd. But they did speak pretty loudly -- all season.

FWIW I'm a big fan of the BD's. Doesn't make me less of a Crown fan (or SCV or Phantom or Cadets).

Ladies and gentlemen, the hand of God.