Why is I&E necessary?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. how do you get a penalty in I&E?

2. there are more woodwind instruments than mellophones

3. did Academy mixed ensemble (whatever that is) really score a 52?

4. the Blue Stars clarinet of controversy didn't win

51.75 according to the list. Ouch. Either they were having lot's of fun, or they should have been better vetted by their corps' staff before being allowed to perform. Just my opinion. I wasn't there. But a 51.75 is not a good score at all for a WC ensemble.

What's it matter to you if corps/members want to, and if DCI wants to continue sponsoring it? What do you care? If you don't approve you don't need to go/pay attention to the event. SCV bassline could rock the house, but what if Blue Knights bassline is better?

At some point if/when it become relevant, I'm sure if enough DCI corps think it's irrelevant it will be done away with. But as long as corps and their members want to participate, who cares?

:laughing::lol:

and you have a large number of corps not participating...this is like the picnic at DCM, fun...a great day...but, not necessary. The kids who can play...flat out can play, regardless of what a judge says after their 3 minutes. Kids who are struggling with their instrument or equipment are vetted by their corps in most cases and do not appear anyway.

This serves such a small number of members....have a picnic instead.

you're right. let the woodwind and synth people go have a picnic while the rest do I&E

Also, I'm not sure if anyone else has posted it, but here are the links to the scores

http://www.dci.org/news/pdf/2009/20090805_I&E_scores.pdf

That can't be everybody.... Back when I marched, it seems like I was competing against 20-30 other Baritones/Euphoniums every year. The competition all across the board is looking very sparse. :laughing:

What happened? They all doing woodwind competitions instead?

51.75 according to the list. Ouch. Either they were having lot's of fun, or they should have been better vetted by their corps' staff before being allowed to perform. Just my opinion. I wasn't there. But a 51.75 is not a good score at all for a WC ensemble.

Dear Tom,

Had you'd bothered to "be there" you would have learned the following: The Academy Tuba Line brought the

house down and would more then likely placed 1st....HOWEVER, as kind of a joke (and costly one at that) the Tuba line

brought out a "gong" and gonged their own performance with the intent of furthering the hilarity of their performance. (Remember the "Gong Show").

Problem was the addition of the Gong then pushed them from the category of "Brass Ensemble" to Mixed Ensemble thus the drop in the Academy score.

FYI: Re: Academy scores in I & E:

With a score of: 100 = 1st Place, Dance Ensemble

99 = 1st Place, Clarinet

97.5 = 1st place, Cymbal Ensemble

93.5 = 1st Place, Flute

93 = 3rd Place, Dance

91 = Percussion Ensemble

82 = 3rd place, trombone

79 = Brass Ensemble

51.75 = Mixed Ensemble* Tuba section W/Gong

I believe the above speaks quite highly of "The Academy" motto "Building Great People Through Great Performances."

Congratulations all I & E Performers...Let Your Stars Shine!

I'm not a die-hard, dyed-in-the-wool, "OMGBESTTHINGEVAR!" fan of I&E, but I really don't see any point in being opposed to it, either.

There are so few venues for people, especially kids, to perform live music in front of an audience, and to receive good, qualitative critique on their performance, that killing another one off just because some people don't dig it seems entirely pointless, even counter-productive for the underlying basis of this activity as a whole.

The corps have so many shows and so much rehearsal over the course of a summer; a single day of I&E is really a huge hardship? Is it really taking so very much away from the accomplishments of the whole corps to have a single day where individuals and small ensembles do their own things?

Performing can be, and often is, its own reward. Every kid in these corps pay good money, often lots of it, to get the chance to perform a show in front of an audience. What's the great evil involved in yet another opportunity for someone to perform?