DCI scoring change proposal

( but some of you may not like all the musical toys that inevitably will be coming into the activity )

Yup...woodwind soloists in the pit within the next few years. (See Blue Stars Rhapsody in Blue encore piece.)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that drum corps is different now and 50/50 is the way to go. Our culture is different, our society is different. To anyone outside of the music community drum corps is a nerd activity. This wasn't always the case back in the day... but music was different back then. It wasn't a stretch for a random "normal" person to appreciate a good hornline melody and think it was cool. These days that IS a stretch. Things have changed. The music kids listen to is different.

However, everyone can relate to visual. Cool visuals will never go out of style. Like I've said in other threads, I always use Cavaliers 2006 to introduce my Army buddies to drum corps. After that they think it's actually pretty cool, and will often ask me for updates throughout the season. As time has gone by several of them have learned a lot and are now outright fans on their own.

If I had instead played for them Phantom Regiment 1996, they would have been put to sleep, and still consider drum corps to be a "gay band thing."

Times have changed, and DCI has to change with them. If we shifted back to music emphasis in scoring, drum corps as we know it would eventually die. It's 50/50 now for a reason, and it should stay that way.

Edited by I play the baritone good

No, it should be 50/50 and nothing else. If all you want to see is arced up music go listen to an orchestra. Drum corps is appealing because it's done ON THE MOVE.

The Pit can almost be percussion playing guard members. Watch them closely in a show, a GOOD pit will convey the emotions of the show through their faces and body language while playing.

Another thing to point out, For those early years when it was 65/35, Corps were using simple symetrical drill. For most of that time the color guard was something was hardly at all resembles corps today at all. If you want to change the scoring system to be musically based, you might as well turn the color guard into an old style honor guard and start with symetrical drill again. Regardless of the opinions on which is better, todays or yesterdays drum corps, We have evolved from it, into a Visual Drum Corps International

Edited by josh161

However, everyone can relate to visual. Cool visuals will never go out of style. Like I've said in other threads, I always use Cavaliers 2006 to introduce my Army buddies to drum corps. After that they think it's actually pretty cool, and will often ask me for updates throughout the season. As time has gone by several of them have learned a lot and are now outright fans on their own.

I disagree - I think a lot of DCI's visuals are time-sensitive. Especially in the guard - what was "cool" for dance back when isn't anymore. Even in drill you see fads come and go.

Mike

No, it should be 50/50 and nothing else. If all you want to see is arced up music go listen to an orchestra.

Yes, because so many orchestras use only trumpets, mellophones, baritones, euphoniums, and tubas and a battery of snares, tenors, and basses. It's the SOUND of drum corps that draws me in.

Edited by Hrothgar15

Yes, because so many orchestras use only trumpets, mellophones, baritones, euphoniums, and tubas and a battery of snares, tenors, and basses. It's the SOUND of drum corps that draws me in.

Well it's the fact we PLAY ON THE MOVE that draws me in. I'd venture to say the first thing people notice about drum corps, when comparing to other music ensembles, isn't the instrumentation but the fact it's done with drill.

I disagree - I think a lot of DCI's visuals are time-sensitive. Especially in the guard - what was "cool" for dance back when isn't anymore. Even in drill you see fads come and go.

Mike

Right... I was more trying to convey that DOING visuals will never go out of style. People will always be wow'd by drill/dance moves. The TYPE of drill/dance will change from year to year, but in any given year it could be appreciated by the layman.

You used a dance example. A lot of people danced in the 40's. A lot of people still dance today.

A lot of people listened to classical music in the 40's. VERY FEW people listen to classical music today.

Hm, I hope I'm making sense. My mastery over the English language isn't that great.

Edited by I play the baritone good

Mike

Sadly, I agree with this. I wish visuals could be timeless, but it more indicates time (age). I was playing '92 SCV for some high school marching band students and staff, and when the BOTTLE DANCE came up, all of us older folks gave the stalk freak out. :rolleyes: The kids just looked at us as if to say "seriously?" Ugh.

This next one is going to be blasphemous. . .same reaction from both groups (dated vs youth) to the Z Pull. Ahhh!!!!!!