The meanings behind the Corps songs

I was reading another thread about all the different Corps songs and was wondering...

What are the stories of why these songs are so special to each Corps?

I understand that the songs have been played for numerous years but HOW did they become the Corps songs?

I was reading another thread about all the different Corps songs and was wondering...

I understand that the songs have been played for numerous years but HOW did they become the Corps songs?

Well, the Holy Name song has been around almost as long as the Cadets 75 years. One of the original Cadet members from 1934, Al Mura, taught the 2009 corps the original version this year (the one I sang from 70-72), as it had changed over time.

"Over the Rainbow" was the closer in the Cavaliers show in 1952, the first season that the corps started having some competitive success. Since you don't fix what's not broken, it stayed in that position as the corps continued to grow over the next few years, culminating with their first national championship in 1957. By that point, it had become something that audiences expected to hear from the corps, so it stayed as closer all through the Cavaliers' first period of dominance (the 1960s), finally retiring as the traditional closer after the 1975 show.

During that first wave of Cavalier success, singing the song was part of the backstage pre-show ritual for the members - a tradition that has lasted through to the present day.

Every song has a history with that corps (obviously, otherwise they wouldn't have chosen it). But you won't find out the true meaning of some (if not most) of these songs unless you actually join the corps.

Every song has a history with that corps (obviously, otherwise they wouldn't have chosen it). But you won't find out the true meaning of some (if not most) of these songs unless you actually join the corps.

This, basically.

I understand that there is a "special meaning" that the song has to a Corps.

To be honest I wanted know to the origins to the songs

Mobrien provided me the info I was looking for that it started as a song in their show and has grown from there into something that means the world to a rookie in the 2009 season to an Alumni from 1952

QFT

I don't know for sure, because the decision was made after I marched i the corps.... but I'm pretty sure Carolina Crown chose Carolina In My Mind because.....and I'm gonna go out on a limb here....... the corps is from the Carolinas! :thumbup: