Crown is Going to Win

After seeing the scores last night I thought "no way," but after looking at recaps today, I actually see a very slight possibility for Crown. The fact that Crown was 1st in brass and BD was 3rd leads me to believe that they may be able to stretch this spread a little more. I think even though visual is their "weakness," I think their colorguard could easily move up to second. I could see their drums moving into second or third. They have legitimate shots of winning GE music, Brass, and Ensemble Music. If they can widen the brass gap and bring up the other captions then there's a small chance. If BD takes anything less than second in a couple of captions that would help too. Of course, I think it all boils down to Crown getting their "ideal" judge lineup finals night and having the performance of a lifetime.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting a similar feeling from Crown this year as I got from Phantom last year, but to a lessor degree. Last year, I truly thought Phantom would win the championship even before Quarterfinals.... this year, I believe Crown will really make a push, but just fall a little short to the Blue Devils... like 2 or 3 tenths.

1. I am not sure Crown can do enough cleaning this week to close the gap to BD enough.

2. I think BD is a little stronger than last year, especially in the percussion section.

For Crown to win, I think they have to at least tie BD in overall effect and win two out of the three music captions. I think they can win Music Ensemble (that has been their best caption all year), but Brass or Percussion will take a monumental effort to overtake BD. As for visual, I really don't see Crown taking any of these captions from BD except maybe colorguard (depends on who is judging). I think the most Crown fans can hope for is for them to be just close enough in all visual captions to let their music make up the difference.

Of course, the Cadets have been known to go crazy with their meticulous cleaning in the last week, so it would not surprise me a bit to see them as the corps that makes the surge towards BD. But... I do think Crown's show is a little more likely to get the Effect numbers required to overtake the Blue Devils.

But they won brass last night....

<soapbox>

I'm sorry but this is the biggest line of crap ever sold on DCP. Just sayin'.... It's a rationalization by BD honks to explain why everyone ($1 to she who must not be named) thinks their visual package doesn't stack up to some other programs. BD is smart folks; they know that clean trumps all cards and they get clean way ahead of everyone, get the lead the in the judges mind, and ride that wave as far as it will take them. No it's not "mary had a little lamb" and it's by no means easy but it sure demonstrates the "clean effect".

</soapbox>

I've been around corps for a long time and it's been my experience that when people say that about BD, they are usually talking about the music, NOT the visual program.

As in "wow, how can they play such incredible stuff and make it look so easy!".

So I guess I'd have to disagree with your theory there (I won't disagree that the Devs are always SUPER clean though, it's one of the things I love about em!).

I just got done watching Crown 2008 after watching them live tonight on the FN. They have matured so much!

Last year (2008), it's like they were boys.

This year, they must have sped past puberty in Spring Training and became men this entire touring season. They are just phenomenal. The concepts behind this year's show plus the added individual talent/maturity has made them unstoppable. I don't think they're going to win tomorrow (though I might be eating my foot tomorrow night now that I've said that), but they have to by next year, definitely.

[Disclaimer: I don't think Crown 2008 was bad at all, it was insanely awesome that they jumped from 6th to 4th in one year. I am just amazed at how much different of a corps this year is]

I've been around corps for a long time and it's been my experience that when people say that about BD, they are usually talking about the music, NOT the visual program.

As in "wow, how can they play such incredible stuff and make it look so easy!".

So I guess I'd have to disagree with your theory there (I won't disagree that the Devs are always SUPER clean though, it's one of the things I love about em!).

Actually I have heard that quite often about visual and much less so about music. In fact I've never heard that applied to BD music at all. And I'm no spring chicken either!

Actually I have heard that quite often about visual and much less so about music. In fact I've never heard that applied to BD music at all. And I'm no spring chicken either!

You must be fairly young, since people were saying "they make it look so easy" a long ways back...and in those days, like 80's early 90's for example, there was nobody trying to prove that BD had a better visual program than say Garfield or SCV...noone.

And yet "they make it look so easy" was often heard.

Go figure. :tongue:

After seeing the scores last night I thought "no way," but after looking at recaps today, I actually see a very slight possibility for Crown. The fact that Crown was 1st in brass and BD was 3rd leads me to believe that they may be able to stretch this spread a little more. I think even though visual is their "weakness," I think their colorguard could easily move up to second. I could see their drums moving into second or third. They have legitimate shots of winning GE music, Brass, and Ensemble Music. If they can widen the brass gap and bring up the other captions then there's a small chance. If BD takes anything less than second in a couple of captions that would help too. Of course, I think it all boils down to Crown getting their "ideal" judge lineup finals night and having the performance of a lifetime.

I would agree if judging was consistent. Tonight's panel was the most agreeable for Crown. With Starnes on GE Music and Kyle Miller on GE Visual, they had their best chance to make a move. Starnes has consistently favored CC in this caption as well as Music Ensemble when he judges. Moreover, Miller tends to have HNC down in GE Visual. I mean this objectively. I agree that CC's brass is great.

I may be wrong, but I think that tomorrow's panel tends to favor HNC slightly in the GE Visual caption at least. Again, no bias intended but I heard this phrase when I marched: "tell me the panel and I'll tell you the score." Ugh.

It's will probably come down to the panel to determine who gets second (CC or HCN). BD has been cemented in 1st the whole season.

AND DID ANYONE NOTICE CROWN'S SHOW THEME IS EXACTLY CADETS' FROM LAST YEAR!?!?! AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO NOTICES? I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!!

It's will probably come down to the panel to determine who gets second (CC or HCN). BD has been cemented in 1st the whole season.

AND DID ANYONE NOTICE CROWN'S SHOW THEME IS EXACTLY CADETS' FROM LAST YEAR!?!?! AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO NOTICES? I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!!

Really? Does Tinkerbell have cancer? I didn't see the couch...where was that? :tongue: