Corps vs Shows

Here's a bone to chew on.

Say last year Phantom didn't play spartacus but played Bang Bang and wasn't that good 8th place, but Avante Noodle Corps Played and performed Spatacus to the level that won the championships (or any championship show) would you have felt the same about the show or is there always a emotional tie to corps that enhances our overall experience at a championship performance.

Is our perception of the a Corps abilities to win a championship tainted by our "favorite corps history" that we might not appreciate fully what a unknown corps who wins the championship and what emotional tie doesn't get connected.....

off the wall but something to do before tomorrow

Edited by blueorginal

I have my favorite corps but I'll go for the better show.

If I had to say I had a favorite "active" corps (Suncoast will always be my favorite :blink:), it would probably be SCV who just happens to have my favorite show this year. However last year Phantom had my favorite show and the year before that it was Crown.

i dont think it matters. if someone else had rolled out the EXACT same show performed exactly the same... it shouldve won last year. The emotional tie they had with the audience was through their music and how well they performed. They owned that audience.

The corps are very important for tradition, identity... things like that. I think it is definitely okay to like a group just because of who they are.

But as for the product on the field.... it is obviously the show that really counts. I like to think that I am purely a fan of drum corps, not of any particular corps..... but it's difficult for me to not say Phantom Regiment when asked who is my favorite.... that is because year in and year out, they generally have the show I like the most. This was definitely true for 2005-2008. This year, however, I like Crown's show the best, so I guess they are my new favorite corps.....................for now. :blink:

Here's a bone to chew on.

Say last year Phantom didn't play spartacus but played Bang Bang and wasn't that good 8th place, but Avante Noodle Corps Played and performed Spatacus to the level that won the championships (or any championship show) would you have felt the same about the show or is there always a emotional tie to corps that enhances our overall experience at a championship performance.

Is our perception of the a Corps abilities to win a championship tainted by our "favorite corps history" that we might not appreciate fully what a unknown corps who wins the championship and what emotional tie doesn't get connected.....

off the wall but something to do before tomorrow

I think maybe there may be an expectation that a certain corps will do well with a certain type of show and that expectation is what we grow to love. Each corps has their own unique identity. I felt an EXTRA boost last year emotionally for Phantom and the Championship because I felt that it was the show that should have won and did win. I was estatic for Phantom at the same time and felt that emotion. I think if it was by an unknown corps I would have relished in their win, but maybe not at the same level emotionally. I want to say intellectually that I would be glad for Avante Noodle, but emotiaonally pulling at a far greater level for Phantom.

I think maybe there may be an expectation that a certain corps will do well with a certain type of show and that expectation is what we grow to love. Each corps has their own unique identity. I felt an EXTRA boost last year emotionally for Phantom and the Championship because I felt that it was the show that should have won and did win. I was estatic for Phantom at the same time and felt that emotion. I think if it was by an unknown corps I would have relished in their win, but maybe not at the same level emotionally. I want to say intellectually that I would be glad for Avante Noodle, but emotiaonally pulling at a far greater level for Phantom.

At least one person got what I was asking to reflect on.....:)

I think if any other corps did that show last year, the other corps wouldn't win...

Personally, I'd like to see this Avante Noodle Corps. :blink: