The On-Field Warm-up

I know what some of you will say: "They warmed up in the parking lot for an hour, they're already ready to play!"

There was a time when there was no warmup. What was cool about that was the anticipation of hearing the first notes of the show. The silence heightened the anticipation, thinking back on it.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this ridiculous to anyone else? It's a WARM-UP, not a blast fest!

So what you're really saying is you want people to blast your face off before the show even starts?

I know what some of you will say: "They warmed up in the parking lot for an hour, they're already ready to play!"

The warm-up should be about getting used to the playing environment. It CAN involve the upper end of the dynamic spectrum, but it shouldn't ONLY be that.

Maybe I looked into your statement too much? Sorry if I did!

CHOPS, CHOPS, CHOPS, CHOPS!!!

Its air people! Control the air stream and use the diaphragm muscles to push. Don't play with your lips, use the air! Donnie Van Doren is a genius. Breath-Dah, more corps should be taught it.

Playing with more volume is not a lips thing. Its an air thing and will not kill your chops... if you use breathe-dah.

Do the Blue Devils still start the encore with the tuning chord? That was always fun (and painful) when they face front to play it.

I know they didn't play it on field at Atlanta this year. But they didn't do the encore.

They did in Houston.

I miss Ditty and 13th hour

13TH hour was awesome.

Star 93 - Red's Rhumba anyone? delicious

Edited by 3rd_Star_Brigade

CHOPS, CHOPS, CHOPS, CHOPS!!!

Its air people! Control the air stream and use the diaphragm muscles to push. Don't play with your lips, use the air! Donnie Van Doren is a genius. Breath-Dah, more corps should be taught it.

Playing with more volume is not a lips thing. Its an air thing and will not kill your chops... if you use breathe-dah.

Yes, but no. If you are using your air correctly, your endurance will take you farther--but only so far!

And why did you even bring that up anyway?

PS - This is just my opinion, but the whole "Breathe-Dah" thing is just ridiculous. When it all comes down to it, EVERY corps does the "Breathe-Dah" method. Just because they don't call it that doesn't mean anything. I'm not trying to argue or anything, I've just never understood everyone's infatuation with "Breathe-Dah."

Edited by Room_101

Yes, but no. If you are using your air correctly, your endurance will take you farther--but only so far!

ever try breathe-dah?

ever try breathe-dah?

Yes, I have.

Have YOU ever gotten paid to play in professional symphony orchestras for a living?

Yes, I have.

Have YOU ever gotten paid to play in professional symphony orchestras for a living?

nope. drum corps breathing though, and i would imagine you would agree since you play professionally, is different. i thought my college professor was going to have a stroke the day i came in after corps :blink:

Yeah I never mind on field warm-ups if everyone is playing something together. I have never really liked when people just turn backfield and everyone just plays whatever they want to (I think Spirit and BD are doing that this year). I remember in '03 (I think it was '03) Cavies played Variation on a Korean Folksong backfield and I always loved it.

I would love to hear that do you know if there is a video of it somewhere (on FN or the other place...)?