Undefeated or Underdog

And that's how we get off topic! I personally think the topics that 'get off' so to speak, are the more enjoyable ones.

Getting off is enjoyable? :laughing:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From conversations here on DCP......that analogy might not hold true in drum corps. I could be wrong, I wasn't there and don't know any 2008 BD members or active fans (know meaning in real life...not just on DCP)....but that doesn't seem to be their attitude (on DCP) from last year?

I wish it did hold true honestly. I wish that members could walk away from the season basing the value of their summer on everything they've learned, experienced and accomplished instead of the opinions of some folks in green shirts and that fans could appreciate the performances without getting bent out of shape about who was hundredths of a point away from who....but that doesn't happen as much as it could.

So, yeah we're a competitive activity and all....but maybe we should all take pointers from Yankee fans :laughing:

I'm pretty sure they do, and it usually goes unsaid. It's the numbers that are fun to talk about.

You don't think so??? Are you human?

Here is a scenario for you. The US has to pick a drum corps to compete in the Olympics (assuming all other countries have outstanding corps as well). What would be most appropriate/logical/sane choice to represent (competitively) the US??

A group that doesn't have the word "Devil" in it. :laughing:

Really? Because I consider consistency to be way more important. A good example would be Phantom 08 to Phantom 09.

Year to year doesn't really count here. Winning 30 shows vs. winning 1 also doesn't really apply. It's all about the progression towards the end, to the final show where it actually counts. Only 1 corps walks away with the title, so... yeah, it kinda does matter. Besides, winning 15-20 of those shows when you don't have ANY competition doesn't really count either. I suppose consistency counts considering your competition as well...

Don't fear...UNDERDOG is here....

I most always root for underdog....BUT an undefeated season is pretty cool also...

Winning 25-30 shows is way more impressive than winning one. No matter how important it is.

You're right. Winning 25-30 shows is impressive. However, if said corps, no matter who it is, doesn't win, then that's all that is, is impressive. People are still going to remember the corps that won on Saturday night, not the corps that had 25-30 wins. More than one corps in any given season can have that many wins. Coming from behind and snatching the Championship is more memorable.

The NE Patriots were referenced. Let's go a game back. The GB Packers (and I'm a Pack fan) had a wonderful season that year to, but that didn't matter because look who went to the Super Bowl, and won. The underdog in both situations.

I'm not down playing the fact that 25-30 wins is impressive, because it is. It's just more impressive to become the victor over that corps. One show does matter. The last one.

And for the record, I usually root for the underdog. 12 Championships are impressive, but I do like seeing someone new shake up the pot.

You should try it some time. You sound pretty tense.

blah blah blah fight fight fight sarcasm fight fight blah blah.... (I need more coffee so I can figure out what all the fuss is about....)

Seriously, folks. Being consistently in the hunt in the drum corps world is all about long-term quality of product year to year along with longevity in your educational staff, high level of member ability, etc. BD is not alone in this area.

I LOVED Phantom's show last year and I'm thrilled they won. If they hadn't won, I would still love their show just as much. That's why drum corps isn't comparable to sports. When I go to a baseball game, there isn't a fantastic show to watch. There are techniques and strategies, but no artistic product. And artistic products are far more important than rings, IMO. That's why this activity's fans can be so volatile, but also why we can enjoy the variety of shows we get to see every year. One of my friends doesn't have much love for PR's show last year. I don't like her favorite top 5 show pick either. We both have our reasons and we both agree to disagree. What's all this fuss about again?

So anyway, Phantom's 2008 championship title means a lot to people like me who do love the underdog leap. But there's no reason I can't also appreciate an organization like BD who has built a program, top to bottom, that oozes consistency. I'm sure BD fans and members and alums totally get that they are the Yankees of drum corps. People will always be gunning for them because they are seen as the corps to beat every year. It comes with the territory.

So to answer the OP: UNDERDOG!

One last thing: wouldn't it be cool if, sometime in the next 10 years, the top 6 or 8 drum corps are so good that any one of them could be top dog on finals night?

(now... where's my coffee cup....)

Edited by TerriTroop

I find it more impressive IN A SEASON (not since the dawn of time...which some seem to be straying to) for an underdog to win. Sure, you can win every show before finals with a program that is clean from the beginning of the season to the end, but I like corps that challenge themselves from the get-go and do not necessarily start out clean, but clean it enough to take the title in the end.