96.9 Blue Devils

96.6 Cadets

95.5 Phantom Regiment

95.0 Cavaliers

Finals

97.4 Blue Devils & Phantom Regiment

96.9 Cadets

93.8 Cavaliers

I think BD was on top for much of the season, anyone know if they were undefeated til the tie?

Yes, it was 13 years ago, but it could happen. What is BD dropped a point or more tonight? :bluedevil:

Anyway, great season and best top 5 of any season, IMO.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if im carolina crown i am thoroughly pleased with my score and placement going into tonight. i mean there is definately alot they can improve on for tonight. they can definately improve on 5th in visual effect and do alot better than 4th in some music captions including percussion. can they do better in any caption enough to catch the blue devils. i dont think so, but i def think its possible to close the margin closer to a point rather than 1.85

I'm not a big Blue Devils guy at all. I have been pulling for Crown and Cadets all year. I was pulling for Troopers to make finals. I didn't care much about SCV's show coming in, even though I've heard a lot about it. I thiought BK's show was going to be another inaccessible and distant affair.

Well, I've been corrected on many of those things.

First, the Colts DESERVE to be in finals. Hype or not, troop love or not, the Colts hands down had a better show, and should even be 9th or 10th. Their visual package was far superior to Troop or Glassmen and their hornline had less dirt. Percussion hurt them, but not enough IMHO to keep them off the field Saturday.

The Blue Knights had an interesting and fun show, definitely one of the most accessible shows from them in about 5 years or so. My family loved the "cold, winter" theme and they sold it so well. I felt they were much better than Glassmen.

I'm not bothered at all by the excess of props the Blue Stars use. They use them all and they use them well. What a fantastic show, and should put them in 7th. I think they top Boston and Phantom with it.

SCV clearly was an echelon step-up from the bluecoats performance before it. What an intense, intricate show to watch with an epic, old-school drum corps finish. But one strong closer does not a drum corps make. They should pass Cavies by finals, but 4th is as high as they go this year.

The Cavaliers do some neat things, but there is a complete lack of a "blowing away" with their show, it doesn't kick you in the teeth like so many Cavalier's shows in the past. Show design team needs to be looked at in the off season. Their performers worked so hard and deserved a little better than this. Drill, as usual, awesome.

Carolina Crown did so many difficult things, especially in their brass line, that did not affect their projection and intensity. This and this alone put them over Cadets last night. I feel their percussion, show deisgn, guard and technical marching all fall behind the Cadets. They won horns last night and deserved to.

Holy Name Cadets were my corps to beat, and they wowed me with an unbelieveable refresh of West Side Story that didn't feel too tired or retreaded. The musical arranging was by far the best of any corps. Jay Kennedy is a friggin God. Their guard was technically beast-like and dangerous. Their percussion were intense, focused and clean. Visual performance and difficulty hands down the best of the night, and the Cadets gave every other corps a clinic in marching. Should be no lower than 2nd on Saturday.

Blue Devils are one of those corps a lot of people want to see fail. It's not because of them, it's because of the new guys like Crown or Bluecoats who never seem to get a shot at the title. Well kids, this is DCI, not the United Way, and if you want the title, earn it. Because right now, no corps on the field is doing more to earn it than the Blue Devils. The Cadets are close, but held back by the hornline. This show blew me away and shattered my pessimism about it being flat and uninspired. People saying that, please, take a moment and slap yourselves. Thank you. By far the best GE of the night, by far the best percussion of the night, by far a show that was not easy - but made to look easy. That's what BD does. They take a show and convey its theme by NOT huffing and puffing and making you say "wow, they sure are working hard!" No. the Devils are killing you with GE the whole time. Good drum corps can get a point across about a show theme. Great drum corps compel and move the audience with a compelling show. Championship drum corps suck the audience in and take them to an entirely different place than their seats - it becomes an experience. The Blue Devils have done that this year. Accessible music, unsurpassed use of props, seamlessly integreated ensemble efforts and a technical level of performance that's almost too perfect, the Blue Devils are on a mission - and it will - I repeat will - earn them the title on Saturday, quite possibly with a record score.

So I stand corrected.

1. Blue Devils

2. Cadets

3. Crown

4. SCV

5. Cavies

6. Bluecoats

7. Blue Stars

8. Phantom

9. Boston

10. Blue Knights

11. Colts

12. Glassmen

13. Troopers

14. Academy

15. Crossmen

16. Spirit

17. Madison

Edited by radiosteele

now that last night is over the only thing the scores are good for or worth is erformance order for tonight. cant wait to see the contuing battle between crown and cadets for second. i think crown can hold on with a better visual performance tonight because the music scores were there. with a better visual performance which will in turn help their effect scores i think they can hold on to second over the next two nights. but it wont be easy. cadets had one heck of a performance last night also and they will be very tough. i believe that the only other change we might see in the top 5 in santa clara jumping cavies for fourth but i think that is as high as they will go

As the staff used to tell us after prelims (especially at Whitewater, where we were never satisfied with our prelims placing), "the job of the prelims judges, is to make sure the right drum corps make the night show". I think clearly, the right 17 made the semifinals. Beyond that, its all still kind of up in the air.

Holy Name Cadets were my corps to beat, and they wowed me with an unbelieveable refresh of West Side Story that didn't feel too tired or retreaded. The musical arranging was by far the best of any corps. Jay Kennedy is a friggin God. Their guard was technically beast-like and dangerous. Their percussion were intense, focused and clean. Visual performance and difficulty hands down the best of the night, and the Cadets gave every other corps a clinic in marching. Should be no lower than 2nd on Saturday.

Wait, not Jay Bocook?

Blue Devils are one of those corps a lot of people want to see fail. It's not because of them, it's because of the new guys like Crown or Bluecoats who never seem to get a shot at the title. Well kids, this is DCI, not the United Way, and if you want the title, earn it. Because right now, no corps on the field is doing more to earn it than the Blue Devils. The Cadets are close, but held back by the hornline. This show blew me away and shattered my pessimism about it being flat and uninspired. People saying that, please, take a moment and slap yourselves. Thank you. By far the best GE of the night, by far the best percussion of the night, by far a show that was not easy - but made to look easy. That's what BD does. They take a show and convey its theme by NOT huffing and puffing and making you say "wow, they sure are working hard!" No. the Devils are killing you with GE the whole time. Good drum corps can get a point across about a show theme. Great drum corps compel and move the audience with a compelling show. Championship drum corps suck the audience in and take them to an entirely different place than their seats - it becomes an experience. The Blue Devils have done that this year. Accessible music, unsurpassed use of props, seamlessly integreated ensemble efforts and a technical level of performance that's almost too perfect, the Blue Devils are on a mission - and it will - I repeat will - earn them the title on Saturday, quite possibly with a record score.

LOL, probably my favorite quote of the day. :smile:

And I agree. Very well put!

I'm all for a Crown victory. I think that would be VERY cool!!