I Think I Am Done With This

Bye bye. Don't forget to close the door on your way out!

Agreed.

I have a very healthy respect for what DCI has accomplished and demonstrated in the past. I have many classic shows in my iPod from the 70's, 80's and 90's, as well as this decade. But I choose to not enjoy DCI for what it was, but also what it is now. And I gotta tell you, I was immensley entertained last night. Possible more so that at any time in the last 5 years from top to bottom (of the broadcast, that is). I witnessed tremendous variety and quality of performance, and despite some of the whining that goes on, did NOT feel that I was seeing a homogenization of arranging or visual elemnts. Each corss had their own unique elements. I don't want corps trying to constantly relive glory days. Occassionaly to acknowledge and pay homage to their past? Sure, but every corps top to bottom doing nothing more than what they did 20 or more years ago goes nowhere.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, that's just 'cause you are sitting beneath the AC vent at this INDOOR competition. :bluedevil:

Oh, so that explains it... :bigsmile:

Actually I agree with pits being too loud and I'm not a fan of electronics at all, but I still love pits.

Yes, some of the drill is still #### impressive but most of the shows seem stale. The moment that made me want to turn away the most was when one of the top 12 corps had their cadence playing over the loud system as the corps left the field but the drum line just marched off silently. That was so unbelievably disgraceful.

That's a disgrace, who was that?

I noticed that in the theater, too, but I'm guessing that there was an ad or promo on the jumbotron that used a drumline cadence for the audio, and it was picked up by the field mics. Can someone who was actually there confirm or deny this?

Most of them. I've had at least 3 looks at every corps, some I've seen 6 times, and I could tell you specific details of about 5 corps. The rest are just non-descript. Add to that the synths, which many corps use as a crutch, and it results in the least enjoyable year of drum corps for as long as I can remember.

I'm not criticizing the performance levels which are as good as ever, but I just find the show designs becoming more band like as opposed to the "good old days" when bands derived their shows from last year's DCI.

Edited by Phillygwm

Get used to it.

With the 10 year commitment to the Oil Can, this is but a preview of things to come. At the macro level, the dome rewards subtle, visual (read: color-guard driven) shows, and punishes loud, driving, traditional drum corps.

Give credit to BD for figuring this out for 2009. Yes, they are outperforming everyone else, but they are also benefitting from smart design decisions that take advantage of what the dome permits.

I doubt that the other major powers will fail to learn from this experience.

Thus, the activity is remade.

St. Cuthbert

I watched the Quarters in a theater and I cannot believe what has happened to Drum Corps. It looks to me that it should be relabeld the Xylophone and Dancer Corps. Who the hell gets goose bumps from a freaking marimba solo? And now drum lines are taking off their snares and dancing and prancing about with the color guard? Come on, guys! What the hell?

Yes, some of the drill is still #### impressive but most of the shows seem stale. The moment that made me want to turn away the most was when one of the top 12 corps had their cadence playing over the loud system as the corps left the field but the drum line just marched off silently. That was so unbelievably disgraceful.

And the interviews after each Corps are all with the dancers, not with the Drums or the Bugles. No thanks.

Will the last mincing Forest Ballerina that leaves the stadium please turn off the lights.

dont let the door hitcha....

I dunno I love the activity too much to just walk away, so I find new things to love about it. I am amazed truly at the way today's kids can friggin' run and play..blows my mind. Also there was some great work happening with the color guards. Oh and 16 man Tuba (ugh I wanted to say Contra) lines rock! I can even live with amps and synth. The only thing I would change is if a musician isnt making the sound then it doesn't go on the field. For example sampling original vocals from West Side Story, or any other kind of sampling. I have no objection with an actual cadet saying those lines into a mic. I will also admit using the synth to create some other affects did not sit well with me, but heck if it could all lead to the use of lasers in the future I guess I can live with it.

Hey I know I miss melodies too, but you know things often come circle I figure it will be back again. I mean heck my daughter is listening to 80's music and thinking she is cool and hip like she is listening t the Beatles or something! :-)

I get goosebumps from a marimba solo.

:bluedevil: