I Think I Am Done With This

So let me ask you, what was the first year where your displeasure with this activity started?

The "In your face" style of the 2000 Cadets. :bluedevil: J/k. Actually, just watched that show last night on the TIME magazine thread. Love the music (just back from Epcot a few weeks ago), and the marching is always top notch. Impressive show.

Sort of an off topic question. Were the stands full/packed last night for Qtrs?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay I can understand your position. I played both the bugle and Bb trumpet in drum corps. I honestly can say I did like playing a bugle, but I prefered a trumpet much more. But I can respect the positions of the older generation of marchers. While I certainly hope DCI doesn't lose many of the people who were the foundation of what drum corps has become, I have to respect that not everyone will like what is going on in DCI of today.

Oh, I didn't stay away just because of the horns. I mean the lack of horn impact is noticeable but I think the BIGGEST problem today is how disconnect the activity has become and how abstract show designs have become the norm. Some the music is so butchered today and the price of visual that it reminds me of some of the shows in the 70's. At least you KNEW that music.

The "In your face" style of the 2000 Cadets. :smile: J/k. Actually, just watched that show last night on the TIME magazine thread. Love the music (just back from Epcot a few weeks ago), and the marching is always top notch. Impressive show.

They certainly weren't full, but I thought there were a lot more people there for this year's quarters as opposed to many others, but then again, I've only been to finals in 2007 and the last year I marched in 2000.

You do make a valid point on where DCI places the emphasis, when it's the guard members that were being interviewed. We needed to have the Colts trumpet soloist interviwed, or one of the Blue Devils brass soloists, or one of the many drummers. But again, DCI knows what they are doing and so they interviewed the dancers. DCI might want these to become Drum and Dancer Corps, as even the Corps staff designers are designing these shows to put the guard dancers right out front in the shows, and the brass becomes an auxillary to that.

Hmmm...in my opinion, they interviewed the featured dancers because they were featured (especially that blondie from Crown...she was also the front page of DCI.org this week). Plus it was probably easier to get access to the featured guard member because the other brass/drum members were in sectional huddles speaking with the instructors directly after their performances. Doubtful there was any agenda.

and speaking of huddles...it was pretty cool to listen to David Gibbs breakdown the performance with BD. Felt like I was standing right there.

Cali.

You do make a valid point on where DCI places the emphasis, when it's the guard members that were being interviewed. We needed to have the Colts trumpet soloist interviwed, or one of the Blue Devils brass soloists, or one of the many drummers. But again, DCI knows what they are doing and so they interviewed the dancers. DCI might want these to become Drum and Dancer Corps, as even the Corps staff designers are designing these shows to put the guard dancers right out front in the shows, and the brass becomes an auxillary to that.

Drill teams have been emasculating marching bands in Texas for years.

The "In your face" style of the 2000 Cadets. :smile: J/k. Actually, just watched that show last night on the TIME magazine thread. Love the music (just back from Epcot a few weeks ago), and the marching is always top notch. Impressive show.

I think that many people have tickets for Semis and Finals...and just can't make it three nights in a row.

Plus I think a lot of people were at some of the 400+ movie theaters last night.

Cali.

Oh, I didn't stay away just because of the horns. I mean the lack of horn impact is noticeable but I think the BIGGEST problem today is how disconnect the activity has become and how abstract show designs have become the norm. Some the music is so butchered today and the price of visual that it reminds me of some of the shows in the 70's. At least you KNEW that music.

Point well-taken.

I didn't have the opportunity to watch quarterfinals in a theatre; I live in Canada, where it's not available. However, I did just travel to Buffalo earlier this week and experienced some phenomenal performances. I confess that, in the early '90s, I fell out of love with drum corps, and didn't really return to it till about 2004, when, IMO, corps didn't focus so much on being esoteric, but started to build audience appeal back into their shows. (Yes, I know, that's a sweeping overgeneralization, but it's how I felt.) Since then, I have grown to love much of what corps are doing. And my husband, who is a complete newcomer to the activity, was equally blown away by what he saw and heard Sunday night.

Do I get goosebumps? You're darned right I do! That amazing company front by Santa Clara, just for starters. Or the extraordinary balance and level of achievement in all sections by Blue Devils. Those things had me screaming myself hoarse . . . just as many wonderful performances did back in the '70s. Is it different? Of course it is. Drum corps in 1980 was vastly different from what it was in 1970, too. IMO, it's all good. I love what corps of my era did, and I love what corps of today are doing (minus the amplified narration; that's about the only thing I dislike about contemporary drum corps . . . and, come to think of it, there wasn't much of that Sunday night).

Edited by byline

You certainly are entitled to your opinion. But really, I don't think DCI cares the least bit about the money they are not getting from you older fan, because I'm pretty sure that for every one person who decides to actually turn their back on the activity (some say they are, but are still around anyway spending and whining about it... you know?) there are at least 3 or 4 more parents/family members/friends of rookie marching kids willing to spend whatever is necessary these days.

Some people have been saying that DCI corps will be "playing for empty seats pretty soon" since the first corps bought a Bb brass line (2000 was it?) and finals night stadiums seems pretty #### full to me, every year.

My point is, it's OK if you don't want to give your money to DCI anymore, just don't expect anyone to care. Older fans goes, newer fans comes. That's how life is.

Finals nights stands may seem full to you but the actual numbers are not there to support that comment. Also, it is true that every year new parents come into the activity. However, these days so many members only come in for a year or two and then leave and the parents go with them. They don't have the attachment to the activty that we used to have. It is almost a novelty now to march a year or two just to say you did it. It is 10 years from now that you will see the largest impact as us "oldies" continue to leave and the "newbies" can't sustain the status quo. It works for BOA when you have 100 bands show up for championships but it won't work for DCI when you only have 22 corps left.

As for money? I know it is being felt. I just received a fundraising letter this week stating that the corps is in financial need because souvie sales are down and overall general fundraising is down.

Copernicus called, wanted to let you know that you and your aged financial support to the activity isn't the center of the universe.

Time is cyclical. Those younger fans of the activity will be "of a certain age" at one point, and will financially support drum and bugle corps just as much as those that came before them. You're implying that younger generation fans are more miserly and selfish with their money than you, because you guys are just THROWING at them at will at this point, to the point of philanthropic.

The activity changes. If you don't change with it, then follow that big red exit sign out of the stadium and don't look back.

Well, if enough of us take that friggin exit door you won't be watching any corps either, because if enough of us say that's it there won't be enough money for corps to to go anywhere. If DCI can't sell tickets, guess what, no shows!!!