is story telling necessary

The vast majority of members come from weak HS marching backgrounds.

It has always been a competition amongst the staffs of each corps. How else do you seperate two kids from Podunk HS, one who decided to join the top of World Class and the other the bottom of Open?

The kids are basically the same; it is the staffs that make corps different.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I get everyone point. however.....

Example BD 1977, its a jazz show. Not about the life and death of jazz. Just hard rocking., smokin jazz

PR used to be known for its classical music. Can they not play a show of just classical music without there being a story of the life and death of Mahler or Mozart?

Again is it necessary? if it is, then is this not a contest of Designers ?

What's the story in HNC's show this year, exactly?

Who are the characters in SVC's show this year, exactly?

Why do you keep using that phrase "a contest of Designers" ? When has this activity not been both about design and performance?

Thanks. I get everyone point. however.....

Example BD 1977, its a jazz show. Not about the life and death of jazz. Just hard rocking., smokin jazz

PR used to be known for its classical music. Can they not play a show of just classical music without there being a story of the life and death of Mahler or Mozart?

Again is it necessary? if it is, then is this not a contest of Designers ?

I think you probably could. A show with entirely unrelated Mozart could be called "Postcards From Vienna". That would tie everything together for today's trend of the "total show".

I guess I am just that so much of a score is tied into design, yesdesign has always been a part but now, what is it 50% of total.

Example, You could have the best players from each section of a all corps come together to form one world class corps. Lets call them Northern Cadets...Now remember each individual member is THE BEST picked from all corps available. I guess "the all stars"

But, this corps could easily not finish in the top 6 IF its design was not effective. There is something wrong with this at it bothers me and that is why I say its more of a competition for designers

(Will preface by saying: I probably agree with the need to ask many of the questions you are asking. )

(snip)

I gues ultimatley what i am getting to is watching the show last night there was so much involment with guards ( and now brass and percussion) prancing, jumping and climbing ....chairs......

Can you not get the point without all this distraction.

If the guys in the green shirts viewed those things as a distraction, there's little chance any corps would be incorporating them into their show. When the designers add those things to a show - ANY show - they appear to get rewarded.

(snip)

Again, at the show last night, right when there was to be a big hit or movement, camera guys are on some individual prancing in the corner......

When the designers make so many shows that focus on a special character and that special character's journey or something like that etc etc., the camerawork always tends to focus on that aspect for much of the show. It makes me crazy. But it's inevitable. One of the reasons I don't attend Quarters in the theater anymore is because I know it will be the "first attempt" at packaging the show into a multicam mix - and also because it WILL be a multi-cam mix. I will be watching the High Cam feed on the Fan Network for Semis tonight because it keeps me from wanting to pull my hair out.

Sounds like you should go start a new circuit where all corps perform the same show.

I'll donate money to your cause.

I'm asking legitimate questions. trying to get clarity and thoughts. If you do not have any intelligent input, don't read. BTW, Ill pay you to go away