Breaking Ranks

I think because marching bands allow it, so DCI has to follow suit. (zing!)

Like I said earlier, our band director told us that instruments could be repaired...not all marching bands are wussies.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the question should be,

Since when did corps START letting their ranks get so thinned out when they were trooping from one location to the next?

Cadets don't march in that rectangle everywhere they go just because it looks good.

Because, if someone breaks your ranks, you might be the one who is missing teeth. This of course means horn players primarily, but injuries can still happen if rank-breakers are not stopped, meaning hospital bills, which could lead to lawsuits against whomever is responsible.

Let me reiterate. With all of the other traditions going by the wayside why is not allowing some interloper to break ranks still a big deal. It's just one of those dumb traditions from the bad old days of drum corps right?

It's just one of those dumb traditions from the bad old days of drum corps right?

One that needs to be honored. :tongue: :tongue: :smile:

Since when did corps START letting their ranks get so thinned out when they were trooping from one location to the next?

Great point. I passed between two sections of a moving corps at a show this year. No disrespect intended, but the sections were well over a minute apart moving by, and the entire corps took almost 10 minutes to all arive at the gate. Had it been an obvious "rank" it never would have occured to me to not wait.

Great point. I passed between two sections of a moving corps at a show this year. No disrespect intended, but the sections were well over a minute apart moving by, and the entire corps took almost 10 minutes to all arive at the gate. Had it been an obvious "rank" it never would have occured to me to not wait.

IMO this is not breaking ranks at all.

They are probably spread out because they are coming from different places. They don't all warm up together.

In 87 Sky Ryders we WERE supposed to be street gangs with instruments (...doing our West Side Story show). :tongue: So this happened after 87 then? :tongue:

Brad - perhaps it's urban legend (no pun intended), but didn't you guys have a free day in New York in 87 where some of the members, because they were all wearing the same jackets (corps jackets), got mistaken for gang members by an actual New York street gang?

Edited by bartyount

My friend's dad almost got his head cut off by Troopers' DM in 06. Learned his lesson real fast.

...and I didn't know that that's a REAL sword in his holster. :tongue:

Yeah, Troopers DM is probably the most ###### DM out there. I always thought it would have been cool to be that guy.