Your favorite OTHER Corps DCA uniform is....

Garfield Cadets 1st. and 2nd. choice would be Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights.

And speaking of uniforms, I have never seen St. Cathrines Queensmen perform or a picture of their uniform. If anybody has a picture, I would love to see it.

Thanks.

Edited by gsksun4

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Garfield Cadets 1st. and 2nd. choice would be Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights.

And speaking of uniforms, I have never seen St. Cathrines Queensmen perform or a picture of their uniform. If anybody has a picture, I would love to see it.

Thanks.

This DCN pic is from NanciD's History blog - I believe it's 1961 ...

130825374_cfb1ba43fb_o.jpg

I don't think there are any color pics around ... the uni was a cream/white color with orange sash and trim ... the Dumont Police cadets bought them in 1963 ... don't know id there's any pics of them around ...

Andy

Edited by ajlisko

This DCN pic is from NanciD's History blog - I believe it's 1961 ...

130825374_cfb1ba43fb_o.jpg

I don't think there are any color pics around ... the uni was a cream/white color with orange sash and trim ... the Dumont Police cadets bought them in 1963 ... don't know id there's any pics of them around ...

Andy

Cream/white top and orange sash. Hmmmmmmmm......... sounds like another corps i once knew.

I wonder if John Sasso is in that picture. Sops usually on the left, but he could have been on french back then, or just instructing. In 67, he marched next to me in the arc as a lead sop. That was cool.

Thanks Andy.

Edited by gsksun4

Cream/white top and orange sash. Hmmmmmmmm......... sounds like another corps i once knew.

I wonder if John Sasso is in that picture. Sops usually on the left, but he could have been on french back then. In 67, he marched next to me in the arc as a lead sop. That was cool.

Thanks Andy.

John Sasso (on FH) would definitely be in the pic along with brother Teddy on bari ... not sure if Dorritie is in the pic ... other noteworthies would be Billy Hightower (bari) and "Dirty" Eddie Lawrence (FH) of Sky fame ... the Queensmen's last year on the field was 1962 ... same as Loretto and Cambridge ... lost quite a few top ranked corps in 61 and 62 ...

:-)

John Sasso (on FH) would definitely be in the pic along with brother Teddy on bari ... not sure if Dorritie is in the pic ... other noteworthies would be Billy Hightower (bari) and "Dirty" Eddie Lawrence (FH) of Sky fame ... the Queensmen's last year on the field was 1962 ... same as Loretto and Cambridge ... lost quite a few top ranked corps in 61 and 62 ...

Hi Andy,"CAKES" here. So could this have been the original cadet uni for Sun, or just the idea for it.

"CAKES" :thumbup::devil::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::devil:

Hi Andy,"CAKES" here. So could this have been the original cadet uni for Sun, or just the idea for it.

"CAKES" :thumbup::devil::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::devil:

Hmmm ... Hi Cakes ... don't think so ... according to their Alumni website, the color pattern was established in 1953: New uniforms were designed by Lillian Linde, Howard Larsen and me - made in Nassau County colors: orange, blue and white.

I'm not sure why they went to the cadet jackets in 65 ... to me, Selden's cadet unis looked more like St. Catherine's - just with gold trim instead of orange ... again, to me, Sun's new unis in 65 looked more like Sky's but, in a different color scheme ... guess we'll have to get Dorritie or Steve Buglino to comment here since they actually went through the transition ... BTW, Selden's unis eventually wound up on the St. Andrew's Bridgemen in 67 ... after Dumont, I'm not sure where the Queensmen's went ...Dumont folded in 64 ...out of their ranks came Carl Ruocco, Dennis Delucia and Bobby Hoffman ... great corps with great tradition and lineage ... all interconnected somehow ... ain't that sumptin' !!!

Andy "these threads really keep me young ... AND MAKE ME THINK!!!" Lisko

Andy said:

"I don't think there are any color pics around ... the uni was a cream/white color with orange sash and trim ... the Dumont Police cadets bought them in 1963 ... don't know if there's any pics of them around ..."

Andy, when Dumont bought them, they must have changed the sash color. I am fairly certain the Queensmen's cross sash on the jacket was a light green sparkle material. I think the plume was red, and I believe the stripe on the pants was red also. I loved those uniforms. One of he classiest I've ever seen.

That picture was taken on the lawn of the then St. Alban's Naval Hospital, now a VA Hospital. I have taken my father there a few times recently for outpatient appointments, and I can't help but think of St. Catherine's every time I drive in there. The Church and school are just east of the grounds of the VA. If you went out that gate behind them and made the first two right turns, you'd be right in front of the church.

Andy said:

Andy, when Dumont bought them, they must have changed the sash color. I am fairly certain the Queensmen's cross sash on the jacket was a light green sparkle material. I think the plume was red, and I believe the stripe on the pants was red also. I loved those uniforms. One of he classiest I've ever seen.

Nope ... definitely an irridescent (sp) orange based sash ... maybe from different angle it looked different colors ... I agree ... one of the classiest unis for that era ... the jackets were a smooth material (gaberdine) vs. the heavy woolen chord material that was so popular ... the stripe and sash could have very well been red ... let's see if Dorritie or Buglino chimes in ...

I stand corrected. Dug out the old Fleetwoods and found this on the 1962 'Evening With the Corps' Volume 1 liner notes about St. Catherine's Queensmen:

"Their unit is easy to look at, with cadet-style white jackets, trimmed with red sparkle crossbelt and green citation cord."

I knew there was green in there somewhere, but the failing memory mixed up/reversed what I thought the sash and the cord colors were. I thought the sash was green and the cord red.

MBI. reminds me of a uni of a 1996 DCA corps

:cool:

Just a small design tidbit: Don't know if people notice this or not, but Minnesota Brass Inc.'s jacket represents a stylized "M" that wraps around the torso. It's a play on the traditional cadet uniform but with a nice little asymmetric "supergraphic" touch. A byproduct is that it's also reminiscent of the zig-zag course of the Mississippi River that unites the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul.

mbiperc1000.jpg

Edited by Ron H