From 1st to 8th?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this will probably upset a few people, but I personally don't consider this the biggest drop in history. Last year, with all due respect, Phantom should have been 3rd. Blue Devils and Cavaliers both had better performances on finals night.

I know the crowd wanted Phantom to win. Even I wanted Phantom to win, but after seeing the shows, I knew that BD was the winner last year. And knowing how the judges sheets are set up, that Cavies were in 2nd.

I am starting to see a trend in judging the last 2 years. DCI is treating judging as a financial decision, and no longer looking at the actual product on the field. Troopers this year were proof once again of that. Last year the 3rd place corps finished first,and this year, due to a building storyline, the 15th place corps reaches finals in 12th spot.

Musically Phantom had a very good show this year. The closer was absolutely amazing. One of my favorite musical moments of the year, but visually this show was a wreck. The kids performed well with what they were given, but the design was extremely weak. But when you look at the visual design last year that was subpar compared to the other top 6, and they managed to win with it, what do you expect?

Hey, it's 2009!

I know this will probably upset a few people, but I personally don't consider this the biggest drop in history. Last year, with all due respect, Phantom should have been 3rd. Blue Devils and Cavaliers both had better performances on finals night.

Phantom has been the "first" for many aspects of this activity. This year they just happen to have added "biggest drop from first place" to that list. Maybe next year they will add "biggest rebound" to that list. Events like this tend to be the ones to drive tremendous change.

I know the crowd wanted Phantom to win. Even I wanted Phantom to win, but after seeing the shows, I knew that BD was the winner last year. And knowing how the judges sheets are set up, that Cavies were in 2nd.

I am starting to see a trend in judging the last 2 years. DCI is treating judging as a financial decision, and no longer looking at the actual product on the field. Troopers this year were proof once again of that. Last year the 3rd place corps finished first,and this year, due to a building storyline, the 15th place corps reaches finals in 12th spot.

Musically Phantom had a very good show this year. The closer was absolutely amazing. One of my favorite musical moments of the year, but visually this show was a wreck. The kids performed well with what they were given, but the design was extremely weak. But when you look at the visual design last year that was subpar compared to the other top 6, and they managed to win with it, what do you expect?

Nothing new here. Take it from a member of the 1983 Geneseo Knights.

Edited by tommytimp

Coming off of Spartacus, wouldn't New World have come off as too obvious? Kind of a "Hey, we re-constituted Spartacus and won, maybe New World will too?"

Of course, now that they had such a rough year (for them at least), now it would almost seem desperate for 2010. I'm all for New World in 2011!

Coming off of Spartacus, wouldn't New World have come off as too obvious? Kind of a "Hey, we re-constituted Spartacus and won, maybe New World will too?"

Of course, now that they had such a rough year (for them at least), now it would almost seem desperate for 2010. I'm all for New World in 2011!

So, wait a minute...let's look at what finshed way above them...retro shows many of them...Copeland...Gershwin...Dvorak would have fit right in...with an appropriate update or several.

New World with the right visual package...4 to 5 places better at the least.

So, wait a minute...let's look at what finshed way above them...retro shows many of them...Copeland...Gershwin...Dvorak would have fit right in...with an appropriate update or several.

I'm really just playing the Devil's Advocate here. I don't doubt New World could be redone and redone well. My only comment was how such programming would come off in relation to their recent programming. Given the landscape of this year's shows, I don't doubt it would have fit in well.

New World with the right visual package...4 to 5 places better at the least.

And the bold above is, quite obviously, the problem. I really think the Red Violin, with the right visual package, could have placed higher by about three places.