Remembering a champion from years past

LOL, I had to think about that for a second! :throwupen:
Uh...I don't get it?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh! Now I get it, thx!!!!! :throwupen:

A couple of random memories from 82 BD early season, moments when I realized that there was something special going on.…

Mid / late January rehearsal – The hornline plays all the way through T.O. for the first time for the drumline. When they get to the extended soprano segment in the middle of the tune (where they repeat the melody up one octave), it was so together, especially for January, that I was just grinning and thinking “holy sh**, they’re even better than last year”!

April timeframe – We were going to debut the re-arranged Chuck Corea as part of a standstill performance at a guard show. Drum parts hadn’t been handed out yet, so we did that part of the show with Nat Barouch on drumset, Guy Hilsman on percussion and me on timp. We hadn't heard the new version yet so during a last minute rehearsal, Wayne explained to us the changes made in the back half of the chart from the 81 version(the soprano cadenza, the divine chords and the up tempo ending) and we took a crack playing through it. After the first run through with the horns, I was just… I don’t know….just giggling… the hornline was so powerful, like a big angry beast.

one Spring camp... date lost in the haze of my fading memory.... Seeing Stacey Lynde and Shirley Stratton experimenting with the wing prototypes and thinking that is really cool and different

Fun times... It's a real honor to see that people still fondly remember our show from 27 long years ago. Thanks all for the kind words. :tongue:

Tom Wiske is in the house.....81/82 BD Tymp. I guess you could say....he was the prelude to a pit :)

The mic. is now yours Tom.

Tom Wiske is in the house.....81/82 BD Tymp. I guess you could say....he was the prelude to a pit :)

The mic. is now yours Tom.

[/quote Iagree! :thumbup:

I didn't need a mic... :worthy: jk Did I just say that? :sarcasm:

Another thought on 82 - 12 Snares was frickin huge, and the 82 line seemed really imposing because the 5 middle guys were all 6 ft +. It was a hard hitting line too... Always loved it when Red would unload on that bottom bass - you could really feel it in your gut. Float always liked to have a real thumper on the bottom. I sometimes still use as part of my warm up before gigs, that fast "ramming notes" ending section of T.O. I try to play it up to tempo but usually fail miserably.

Edited by BD 79-82