Show etiquette

Ah, OK, I need to clarify...the guy who came in to get his seats came in BEFORE the SCV show with plenty of time to sit down. When I said "more than halfway through the show", I meant the contest, not the individual show. I said that to see if anyone thought that how late you showed up for a contest made any difference. So far it appears that it doesn't, which I would agree with. But I do appreciate all the responses.

Last year during semis there was a family where one guy kept a running commentary to his kids...or maybe it was his wife...I can't remember. Anyway, people all around were getting annoyed. Finally I had enough. I got up and went over and politely said "Excuse me, I'm sure you're not aware of it but etiquette at a drum corps show is to treat it like a broadway musical. Cheer/clap/yell for what you like but when the performers are on the field the audience needs to be quiet to let those around them enjoy the show.

They didn't like it but they STFU after that.

as someone who still has only had to pay at ONE drum corps show (due to marching and only going to a couple shows since marching), i always follow the latter. or, actually, i go and look for other open seats. lol.

i follow this same procedure for sporting events too. the whole "assigned seating" thing is very silly to me, especially if there's open seats in the "better" sections. ya know?

This really bothers me and hopefully others out there, that pay the price on the ticket

and ARE alums from drum corps. Maybe someday, when you pass away, they'll dig up

your casket, throw you out because there "really wasnt much left", and then place some

other poor soul that passed away in it.

Now.. with that theory in mind, I hope that your squatting days are numbered, and that

you grow up, and realize that the world is not your playground. All I can say is that

"you'd best not be sqatting in MY assigned seat at ANY show.... I'll personally help the

usher at the time dispose of your carcass as it should be !!!!

Thank-you from others that have class, tact and are adults

FCO

And then there's the ushers that get on a complete power trip. At DATR last year, one woman proceeded to scream and yell at each corps's staff that came up into the stands to watch their corps' performance. With each group of people, she proceeded to scream and yell at them to leave, causing a ruckus throughout each corps' show as she tried to throw each group of people out of the stadium.

This year, the same woman once again started yelling at people during each corps' performance, standing right behiind us the whole time. Finally, when Troop came on, my sis turned around and said, "OK now, SHHHHHHHUSSSHHHH!" She pointed to the field, threw her hands up in a WTF gesture and gave her a perfect glare. I added in my own glare. The woman opened her mouth to say something, but I guess our glares made her back down (maybe others in our row were adding in their own glares, who knows). She shut her trap and turned around and left, perhaps to go find security or whatever. She should have done that to start with, iif she was confronting people who refused to leave at the moment, rather than spending an entire corps' performance going on a rant to her chosen person of the moment.

Man...I miss those days of getting in free to any show! Wish DCI had some kind of Alumni discount or something...

Why? Don't you want to support the activity what made you what you are today to the fullest extent possible?

:doh:

Back on topic. IF I were to be seen at a DCI show situation number 1 would be handled with a polite request to be quiet and escalating to a STFU if need be. Situation number 2 would have had the offenders removed. As previously stated that seat is MINE and when I decide to use it is nobody's business.

OK, I have a couple of "etiquette" questions for everyone based on a couple of things I saw at Finals. (Never mind the ever-present, ever-inane "they're always ready"...that's a different rant.)

Last night there was a guy up in 641 (where I was) who kept a running commentary going on everything that was going on. He wasn't being obnoxious or overly loud, but he was pretty distracting. He left for a few minutes to get a drink or something and one of the guys in front of me said, somewhat confrontationally, that the guy needed to be quiet if he was going to come back. Personally, I was grateful for the guy's courage to say something - I couldn't have done it. So, what do you do in a situation like that?

Situation number 2. Tonight in section 140 there were a couple of guys "squatting" - that is, sitting in seats other than the ones for which they had tickets - down the row from me. Just before SCV came on (over halfway through the show), the guy who actually owned those tickets came in and wanted his seats. The guys in them refused to give them up. Now, it would have been pretty disruptive to have them get out of a filled row to give up the seats, but I thought that the squatters should have yielded to the guy who paid for those tickets.

So, here's the question - who's right in this case? Do the squatters have the right to stay there because the guy who actually owned the seats came in so late? If so, what's the cutoff where it's understood that you no longer have a right to your seat? Or should they have given up the seats they didn't buy and go back to their own? I'm thinking the latter but would like to hear other points of view.

Situation 2: absolutely not. If they didn't pay for them, they needed to move. It is the prerogitvei of the seat owners if they wanted only to see the top 5 shows. Maybe they were in the lot enjoying warmups. Its pretty annoying for people who wanted to see the whole show but had to get seats in other sections because they were sold to people who actually didn't want to see the whole show, but hey that's life.

#2 - The squatters are taking something they didn't pay for. Not even an etiquette question. Hey the house next door to me is empty, maybe I should move in there awhile. Call security and hope they have the balls to eject the squatters. Also nasty situation for the people around as you never know if the squatters will start a fight when told to leave (saw it happen at a MLB game). Not to mention disrupting things by arguing about not wanting to leave. For refusing to leave the squatters should have tossed out of the stadium.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

#1 (and anybody who knows me would back this up) The running commentary would have been dealt with had I been sitting near them, and #2 MY TICKETS MY SEATS and there would have been no need to call security believe me.