Who's going World

I know what Box 5 means. And Jack-in-the-Box.

DCI judges grade on specific criteria for each caption. There are 5 levels for each criteria. The top grade you can receive is a 5 - hence, the terminology is box 5. A corps that meets the criteria consistently is graded in box 5. A corps that never meets the criteria is graded in Box 1. Boxes 2, 3, and 4 are in between these two extremes.

Obviously, the goal of caption head, at every corps, is to be in Box 5 in every criteria. If you do that, you can receive a perfect score - which, of course, BD did last night. Three judges gave them perfect scores, which means they consistently meet every criteria in those judges' respective captions. That is how it is possible to have a "perfect" show - even though the performers for BD are mortal men, not gods. :rock:

Jack-in-the-Box, by contrast, is a greasy fast-food chain from California. Their advertisements feature a ludicrous, plastic-headed character, pretending to be a corporate CEO. Their menu features a mix of unhealthy American fast food, and unhealthy Mexican fast food.

Yes, I know the difference. I also know the difference between a bass drum and a burger, a tenor and a taco, a soprano and a shake. Do I need to explain that as well?

Any other questions? :tongue:

No, no that's great stuff! But this should clear things up for you:

narrow-minded - lacking tolerance or flexibility or breadth of view; "a brilliant but narrow-minded judge"; "narrow opinions"

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, no that's great stuff! But this should clear things up for you:

narrow-minded - lacking tolerance or flexibility or breadth of view; "a brilliant but narrow-minded judge"; "narrow opinions"

Yes, I am narrow minded. Yes, I wear it like a badge of honor, a war wound, a symbol of pride.

If you think my attitudes on DBC are narrow-minded, let's start a discussion on politics, economics, or religion. You'll think you're talking to the Torquemada, the Grand Inquisitor of the Spanish Inquisition.

I can't wait for VK to go World Class. They probably are not ready yet but you wold think kids would be beating down their doors to join up if they went to world class.

One would certainly think so...

I can't wait for VK to go World Class. They probably are not ready yet but you wold think kids would be beating down their doors to join up if they went to world class.

Yes, but that's not how the system works today. A corps is best advised to develop to the point where kids are beating down their doors to join their open-class corps....then they can make a stronger case for moving on to world-class.

Setting aside the financial and organizational statistics for a bit, there's something else that also needs to be considered, and that's BODIES. Drummers and guard members are seemingly a dime a dozen these days, but it's horn players that will make or break a corps seeking to move up a division.

Numerically, you need at least 45 brass players alone to be able to hold your ground in Div 1. That number right there eliminates about 3/4's of the open class corps from consideration. You also need to have these numbers over several seasons, showing you have a stable recruiting base in a particular area, whether it be your hometown or a region. From what I saw this season, Teal looks like they're the only group with a recruiting base large enough to have some degree of success should they make the move.

Cap Reg should get there in a couple years if they keep up their pace. They've got a good recruitment base going in Virginia as well as their own state. This should help, because I remember how difficult it was trying to recruit people as the "third Ohio corps" in a state where you're bracketed by Toledo and Canton.

Yep. Been there. I ran the recruiting booth for Cap Reg at OMEA in 2000 and 2001, and it was a tough sell (DII/III). But oddly also a tough sell in 2006 at TMEA -- the overwheling attitide there was "I want to march with a Finalist corps."

Edited by dannyboy

Yes, but that's not how the system works today. A corps is best advised to develop to the point where kids are beating down their doors to join their open-class corps....then they can make a stronger case for moving on to world-class.

That corps has a great show, and is very entertaining. But I seriously doubt if that organization is ready for the jump to WC. They did the California circuit this summer, and then the OC circuit that lead up to finals.

But there is a big difference between being able to do that, and a full WC tour. Look at what the WC corps from California had to do each year: a tour that stretched from coast to coast. I seriously doubt if VK is ready for that yet.

And yes, they will need about 30-40 more recruits, before they can seriously think about jumping to WC - unless they want to finish 22nd or 23rd every straight year. California is a fertile recruiting ground; they should be able to make this up.

Gotta throw my two cents in here. I HATE ALL ELECTRONICS. That said, I LOVED Teal Sounds show. They put out a far better and more entertainig product than half of the world corps. They were way underscored, IMO, and I bought merch from them, so they got something out of a dinosaur even with the rock band. Can't wait to buy the dvds and watch this show again. As for VK, they would be a great addition as well, but they need to seprate their version of fun from the Bridgemen. Too many of the exact same things from years gone by. Get creative and come up with your own gig and then go world. Some other corps in open need to realize their size effects their sound and the audience interest. Play enjoyable music and quit with the obscure junk. 20 horns just doesn't cut some of the music that was attempted and ended up with some really well done, yet boring as heck shows.

All I have to say is Teal has come a LONG way from the gold spray-painted rims on their first busses! Not exactly "rock star"! :)

If DCI says they can go, then they can go. What's all the discussion about?

Imagine this, if you will..........

Randy Blackburn decides to make a career change. Instead of running a drum corps, he decides that he wants to become a concert promoter. He gets a contract, to promote The Three Tenors (Luciano Pavarotti, Placido Domingo and Jose Carreras) at the New York Metropolitan Opera House.

But Mr. Blackburn decides to become innovative. In order to build fan interest, he decides to add a rock band to the performance. He hires a band to front for the Three Tenors, during the show. The rock band, in order to match their new status, rename themselves "The Three Tumors."

Before Mr. Pavarotti can start the performance with Donizetti's "La Fille du Regiment", the lead guitar of The Three Tumors lets loose with some power chords. Then the drummer for the rock band starts on a five-minute solo. The Three Tenors must return to their dressing rooms, to begin their warm-ups once again.

For some reason, the usually stoic crows at the Met are not impressed. Many of the ticketholders walk out. Some vow to never come back.

Donald Trump is in the audience that night, and he is interviewed by a local television reporter: "I can't believe it. I buy $5,000 tickets to hear The Three Tenors. Instead, I hear some garage band from Jersey! Doesn't the promoter of this event have any respect for the integrity and traditions of the art form? Mr. Blackburn - you're fired!"

==========================================

Does my analogy get the point across? Or am I being too vague, obscure, or obtuse?

p.s., I know that Luciano is deceased. My analogy still stands. Luciano, may God rest your soul.

p.p.s., I had to get in a reference to "The Apprentice". :satisfied:

Imagine this, if you will..........

Randy Blackburn decides to make a career change. Instead of running a drum corps, he decides that he wants to become a concert promoter. He gets a contract, to promote The Three Tenors (Luciano Pavarotti, Placido Domingo and Jose Carreras) at the New York Metropolitan Opera House.

But Mr. Blackburn decides to become innovative. In order to build fan interest, he decides to add a rock band to the performance. He hires a band to front for the Three Tenors, during the show. The rock band, in order to match their new status, rename themselves "The Three Tumors."

Before Mr. Pavarotti can start the performance with Donizetti's "La Fille du Regiment", the lead guitar of The Three Tumors lets loose with some power chords. Then the drummer for the rock band starts on a five-minute solo. The Three Tenors must return to their dressing rooms, to begin their warm-ups once again.

For some reason, the usually stoic crows at the Met are not impressed. Many of the ticketholders walk out. Some vow to never come back.

Donald Trump is in the audience that night, and he is interviewed by a local television reporter: "I can't believe it. I buy $5,000 tickets to hear The Three Tenors. Instead, I hear some garage band from Jersey! Doesn't the promoter of this event have any respect for the integrity and traditions of the art form? Mr. Blackburn - you're fired!"

:satisfied::smile:

Does my analogy get the point across? Or am I being too vague, obscure, or obtuse?

I'd go with the latter, personally. Probably just obtuse. Unlike your Met $5k ticket person, people go to drum corps shows to hear a variety of different music and styles. And unlike the Met, the beauty of doing it in a stadium is that you can always get up and go buy food and/or souvies if you don't like a show. So why don't you try doing that instead of complaining to us on here? Because I can't be the only one that really just doesn't care about what you think drum corps should be.

Edited by Patriot