Who's going World

What I want to know is: How come Teal Sound hasn't made it behind "The Velvet Rope" for the last 2 years? ("Medaled" in 2007 - nothing since - in spite of many advantages).

I think the answer is pretty simple, at least for 2009. If your idea of the Velvet Rope is top 3, it's probably because Teal didn't perform an Open Class show. Musically it was a World Class book. Visually there was a lot of World Class level content. That was affirmed by judges comments, especially during the last two weeks. I can elaborate on this if you want, but not tonight (I'm tired).

If your idea of the being inside the Velvet Rope is to entertain the audience, Teal Sound is sitting in the VIP room.

Then again, there's the Velvet Rope that separates World Class from everyone else. I wonder which side Teal will be on in 2010...

Edited by Kamarag

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then again, there's the Velvet Rope that separates World Class from everyone else. I wonder which side Teal will be on in 2010...

You clued me in on something, like a subliminal message in a cocacola advertisment on a vending machine (spoiler: naked icelady lying alont the top on the can). Which side will Teal be on, OC or WC... Should we conduct a poll on this matter, or would we all just talk big and lay down the nacho's along the floor and grab the cheesiest piece in the bunch?

p.s., I saw Suncoast's famous show, where they used sign language for the ending. To this day, I have no idea why that was done. I am still clueless, even though a quarter century has gone by. Anyone care to illuninate me?

For some reason, corps from Florida think they have to be esoteric. I just don't get it.

Edited by oldschooldbc

I think the answer is pretty simple, at least for 2009. If your idea of the Velvet Rope is top 3, it's probably because Teal didn't perform an Open Class show. Musically it was a World Class book. Visually there was a lot of World Class level content. That was affirmed by judges comments, especially during the last two weeks. I can elaborate on this if you want, but not tonight (I'm tired).

If your idea of the being inside the Velvet Rope is to entertain the audience, Teal Sound is sitting in the VIP room.

If they can't execute a WC book, then perhaps they aren't ready for WC after all. Maybe they need to spend a few more years in OC, before making the move to WC.

Sorry, there's more to a WC corps than resources. I have talked often in this forum, about the ridiculous amount of resources it takes to run a WC corps today - money, equipment, paid staff, volunteers, etc.

But you also need the talent level to do it as well. If TS doesn't have that level of talent yet, perhaps it should spend another 1-2 years developing it, before making the big jump.

Teal couldn't have placed higher with the way their achievement scores fell and effected their content scores. If they were hands down the cleanest Open Class corps year after year, it would be a crime for them not to go WC right this second and everyone could agree on that, despite lack of appreciation for electronics/vocals/guitars. Unfortunately for them, that simply isn't the case.

World class or Open class....who really cares.....size is the difference. All performers work just as hard and put in all the same effort. Kids in open class are just as talented....some may not be able to afford the fees a world class corps charges or they may not be able to ge to the location of the world class corps. So to march they go to the open class and still get to participate in an activity they enjoy. This scabble betwwen world class and open class is really silly.

p.s., I saw Suncoast's famous show, where they used sign language for the ending. To this day, I have no idea why that was done. I am still clueless, even though a quarter century has gone by. Anyone care to illuninate me?

For some reason, corps from Florida think they have to be esoteric. I just don't get it.

So are you saying that any drum corps that thinks out of the box and designs a "different" show should not be supported? That would severely limit any growth and development for the music and marching education for any corps.

So are you saying that any drum corps that thinks out of the box and designs a "different" show should not be supported? That would severely limit any growth and development for the music and marching education for any corps.

To set the record straight: I am not against innovation in drum corps. What I am against is anything that endangers the fundamental integrity of drum corps.

The original bottle dance by Vanguard? Great innovation. The original Zingali asymetric drill? Great innovation. The Cavaliers double-helix manuever? Great innovation. All these were enhancements to drum corps, and we should be thankful to the men and women who produced them.

All of these innovations were done with bugles, drums, and a color guard. And nothing else.

You didn't need to add rock bands, microphones, amplifiers, synthesizers, voice recordings, or any other garbage, to produce these innovations. That junk turns a DBC show into something it isn't. And that is not innovation. That's desecration. Those changes - not innovations - take away from the DBC experience, not add to it.

There's a reason why it is called "drum and bugle" corps. It is because we are supposed to perform with drums and bugles - and a color guard. That's it. We don't need anything else. That is what I have been trying to get across on this board, for the past several months, but no one seems to listen, or understand. :lol:

Our activity is not called "drum, guitar, amplifier, synthesizer, microphone, woodwind, and bugle" corps. What is that acronym? DGASMWB? Forget that! If someone starts a DGASMWB tour, and schedules a show here in Houston, please let me know. I won't be attending. :shutup:

Edited by oldschooldbc

Our activity is not called "drum, guitar, amplifier, synthesizer, microphone, woodwind, and bugle" corps. What is that acronym? DGASMWB? Forget that! If someone starts a DGASMWB tour, and schedules a show here in Houston, please let me know. I won't be attending. :shutup:

It is a most noble quest you are on, but I am afraid you are a couple years too late. I sort of agree with you deep down, but the elecs have been added, big time and are not going to go away. You would be most happy with alumni corps, as they do what you think of as drum and bugle corps. Very soon, DCA will follow. They will say that they won't, just like they said they would never go Bb, but they will, to be competitive. Only in the alumni circuit will what we think of as drum and bugle corps exist. And their members are dying off at alarming rates.

To set the record straight: I am not against innovation in drum corps. What I am against is anything that endangers the fundamental integrity of drum corps.

The original bottle dance by Vanguard? Great innovation. The original Zingali asymetric drill? Great innovation. The Cavaliers double-helix manuever? Great innovation. All these were enhancements to drum corps, and we should be thankful to the men and women who produced them.

All of these innovations were done with bugles, drums, and a color guard. And nothing else.

You didn't need to add rock bands, microphones, amplifiers, synthesizers, voice recordings, or any other garbage, to produce these innovations. That junk turns a DBC show into something it isn't. And that is not innovation. That's desecration. Those changes - not innovations - take away from the DBC experience, not add to it.

There's a reason why it is called "drum and bugle" corps. It is because we are supposed to perform with drums and bugles - and a color guard. That's it. We don't need anything else. That is what I have been trying to get across on this board, for the past several months, but no one seems to listen, or understand. :lol:

So we should put you down as a no vote for woodwinds in drum corps next year....... I have a feelnig that is comnig sooner rather then later.