PR and their visual woes...

Last year is last year....it was in line with the shows prior to it...solid story told well, marched well, played well. This year. questionable storyline, not told well and not a great visual or guard program.

How else do you answer a 1 to 9 finish? So, you trust the two Dan's with this? OK. Then other big changes most likely need to be made.

But those two don't design the drill and colorguard themselves and I think you have to allow for the fact that sometimes things just don't translate from the page to the field as well you would hope. Even if they recognized that there were problems (which, according to the field pass interview, they did) they couldn't just snap their fingers half-way through a season and make everything magically better. I would imagine that without Dan Farrell, even 9th place would have been difficult under the circumstances. I think most alumni and marching members have the kind of respect for the man that they'd probably march through the very gates of hell if he thought it would improve the show. Not out of blind loyalty but because of the kind of experiences we've had marching with him at the helm. He's a smart guy, great at what he does and, I think, the heart and soul of the Regiment hornline. Obviously, I don't think he's the problem at all. In general, I'm not worried for the corps-- these guys didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I'm sure adjustments will be made.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you all are missing a bigger picture here. Even if their visual scores were up, they would not have been a top 3 corps. I'm sure a lot of the vets returned for 09 considering they won. And when you win you usually get a better class of recruits trying to audition for remaining spots. I disagree with the percussion score entirely, they were just as clean as the top 3 that had fuzz through several sections of their shows so I guess I missed something from the stands. But the brass sounded up to par and the gaurd was not terrible. Visual design alone was not the entire achilles heel of this corps. Overall the scores were down even in some performance captions. So if their visual design was flawless they would barely be in the top 4. Just pointing this out!

Phantom will be a favorite to me if they are 12th or 1st.

But those two don't design the drill and colorguard themselves and I think you have to allow for the fact that sometimes things just don't translate from the page to the field as well you would hope. Even if they recognized that there were problems (which, according to the field pass interview, they did) they couldn't just snap their fingers half-way through a season and make everything magically better. I would imagine that without Dan Farrell, even 9th place would have been difficult under the circumstances. I think most alumni and marching members have the kind of respect for the man that they'd probably march through the very gates of hell if he thought it would improve the show. Not out of blind loyalty but because of the kind of experiences we've had marching with him at the helm. He's a smart guy, great at what he does and, I think, the heart and soul of the Regiment hornline. Obviously, I don't think he's the problem at all. In general, I'm not worried for the corps-- these guys didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I'm sure adjustments will be made.

You are probably right. I'm overreacting. Just seen this happen to the corps after the '96 season and I believe Rick V. and Co. to be lightyears ahead of where this organization was back then.

I'm sure the appropriate adjustments will be made. Dvorak? Please? That show deserves to be performed again with the ride cymbal locked in a closet. Please?

I think you all are missing a bigger picture here. Even if their visual scores were up, they would not have been a top 3 corps. I'm sure a lot of the vets returned for 09 considering they won. And when you win you usually get a better class of recruits trying to audition for remaining spots. I disagree with the percussion score entirely, they were just as clean as the top 3 that had fuzz through several sections of their shows so I guess I missed something from the stands. But the brass sounded up to par and the gaurd was not terrible. Visual design alone was not the entire achilles heel of this corps. Overall the scores were down even in some performance captions. So if their visual design was flawless they would barely be in the top 4. Just pointing this out!

Phantom will be a favorite to me if they are 12th or 1st.

you'd think that's the case huh?

unfortunately, I know it was quite the contrary for them...

You are probably right. I'm overreacting. Just seen this happen to the corps after the '96 season and I believe Rick V. and Co. to be lightyears ahead of where this organization was back then.

I'm sure the appropriate adjustments will be made. Dvorak? Please? That show deserves to be performed again with the ride cymbal locked in a closet. Please?

Actually, it was those post-post 96 years, with him and several other important folks absent, that I had in mind. Was it 98/99? Don't remember exactly, but that general time frame was pretty rough for the corps, at least from my outside perspective.

And I would love to see a Dvorak show where J.D. could take it and make it his own.

Phantom will be fine.....my guess is that they will most likely go with new visual people for 2010..........the good news is musically they are in fine shape.....they have great arrangers/caption heads, and musically they are quite solid..........

hopefully the eligible members will return, because they have the talent level to move back into contention right away..

GB

they did have a lot of age outs

but A LOT of eligible members did not come back , which nobody knew why, from what I hear 08 was one of the most enjoyable seasons to the members recently

That is very odd. You'd expect that sort of thing after a rough season. But I guess it does happen...I remember reading someone's diary of PR 1993 and it said that a lot of PR members went to march Blue Devils after 1993, which was pretty successful for Phantom. And at the time, there was no way of knowing BD would have the year it had in 1994, since they were in their driest stretch of no championships.