PR and their visual woes...

That is very odd. You'd expect that sort of thing after a rough season. But I guess it does happen...I remember reading someone's diary of PR 1993 and it said that a lot of PR members went to march Blue Devils after 1993, which was pretty successful for Phantom. And at the time, there was no way of knowing BD would have the year it had in 1994, since they were in their driest stretch of no championships.

Money woes (parents losing jobs, etc.) hurt PR a bit as I'm sure it did many other corps.

G

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is very odd. You'd expect that sort of thing after a rough season. But I guess it does happen...I remember reading someone's diary of PR 1993 and it said that a lot of PR members went to march Blue Devils after 1993, which was pretty successful for Phantom. And at the time, there was no way of knowing BD would have the year it had in 1994, since they were in their driest stretch of no championships.

I don't think members leaving to march other corps was an issue this time around. As the above poster said money issues I'm sure played a large part, and i know some just chose to take the year off to focus on other things like school etc. Just happened to be at a higher rate.

maybe next year they will all come back to set thing straight :)

But those two don't design the drill and colorguard themselves and I think you have to allow for the fact that sometimes things just don't translate from the page to the field as well you would hope. Even if they recognized that there were problems (which, according to the field pass interview, they did) they couldn't just snap their fingers half-way through a season and make everything magically better. I would imagine that without Dan Farrell, even 9th place would have been difficult under the circumstances. I think most alumni and marching members have the kind of respect for the man that they'd probably march through the very gates of hell if he thought it would improve the show. Not out of blind loyalty but because of the kind of experiences we've had marching with him at the helm. He's a smart guy, great at what he does and, I think, the heart and soul of the Regiment hornline. Obviously, I don't think he's the problem at all. In general, I'm not worried for the corps-- these guys didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I'm sure adjustments will be made.

I agree completely. We went through this kinda thing in 92, didn't we. Dan Farrell IS Phantom Regiment. What I still don't get are the music scores.... I don't buy any of them. There was a time when you could have low visual and be tops in music or vice-versa. I think horns, drums and ensemble were all way too low.

Edited by Phansouth

To me, and a few others that discussed the PR show following finals, the BIGGEST problem for PR was simply in placing too much of a priority in trying to tell the stupid story. Everything was so forced.

I honestly believe that had the corps performed basically the same music and drill, but used the guard much more for marching and equipment work they would have scored significantly higher.

Telling the story of Spartacus certainly worked great and helped by the fact that it was a GREAT story. The story of the Red Violin was pure BLAH! I believe the real blame for the problems with the show lies with who ever thought this story was worthy of an entire show...much more so than blaming the guard staff and drill writer.

To me, and a few others that discussed the PR show following finals, the BIGGEST problem for PR was simply in placing too much of a priority in trying to tell the stupid story. Everything was so forced.

I honestly believe that had the corps performed basically the same music and drill, but used the guard much more for marching and equipment work they would have scored significantly higher.

Telling the story of Spartacus certainly worked great and helped by the fact that it was a GREAT story. The story of the Red Violin was pure BLAH! I believe the real blame for the problems with the show lies with who ever thought this story was worthy of an entire show...much more so than blaming the guard staff and drill writer.

The story did seem a little forced, but...I think with better guard and drill design, they could have told it effectively. I don't think you can give the drill writer and the guard designer a free pass here.

Dvorak? Please? That show deserves to be performed again with the ride cymbal locked in a closet. Please?

NO! I'd almost demand that if they were to pull New World out again, that there be a short phrase--even just a few bars--WITH the ride cymbal, as a quick homage to 1989!

:unhappy:

How much in show money will this placement effect them next year?

Its been an interesting year watching them just because its been an interesting year for them.

I don’t get how they were so close to Cavies and even Crown (and so far ahead of Blue Stars) at the start of the season and then boom, seems like the judges got it wrong somewhere along the line, more so with music scores. I’ve been watching their scores as a metric on judging a slotting – its pretty easy to draw some conclusions

I wonder if they stuck with their original show and made it really clean…if it would have done better than leaning huge new chunks a few weeks out

Don’t force a story next year just to have a story

If you like, you can run your idea by me prior, just hearing you were doing the Red Violin last year made me got ‘ut-oh, this won’t end well’ even more so after I read a bit about the film

In many ways, you have even more pressure on you to produce next year and it seems you didn’t handle that pressure well this year

Seems struggling corps have stabilized with retro shows, not so much as retro in design but retro in falling back on their known identity – you might want to keep that in mind

But, this wasn't just a someone....this was group think at its worst. Someone should have said...NO.

Now, since this didn't happen...I am left to conclude that the idea wasn't a bottom up thought...it has all the appearances of a top down decision. Who's going to argue with the boss on his idea?

Just a hunch.

How much in show money will this placement effect them next year?

Its been an interesting year watching them just because its been an interesting year for them.

I don’t get how they were so close to Cavies and even Crown (and so far ahead of Blue Stars) at the start of the season and then boom, seems like the judges got it wrong somewhere along the line, more so with music scores. I’ve been watching their scores as a metric on judging a slotting – its pretty easy to draw some conclusions

I wonder if they stuck with their original show and made it really clean…if it would have done better than leaning huge new chunks a few weeks out

Don’t force a story next year just to have a story

If you like, you can run your idea by me prior, just hearing you were doing the Red Violin last year made me got ‘ut-oh, this won’t end well’ even more so after I read a bit about the film

In many ways, you have even more pressure on you to produce next year and it seems you didn’t handle that pressure well this year

Seems struggling corps have stabilized with retro shows, not so much as retro in design but retro in falling back on their known identity – you might want to keep that in mind

good one..