Service Members getting their info from DCP in Iraq and Afghan.

So, there I was... a year ago trying to get to a computer and check out the goings on with the 2008 DCI championships while deployed in Iraq...

How many folks tuned in from Iraq and Aghanistan to get the results, hear the rumors, see the goings on from the 2009 DCI finals?

Where are you deployed to and how have you kept in touch with DCI, WGI, Band season, etc......

Remember, no classified tid-bits, but tell us how you keep your DCI groove on while deployed.

What is on your IPOD or your laptop as far as favorite shows?.......

So, there I was... a year ago trying to get to a computer and check out the goings on with the 2008 DCI championships while deployed in Iraq...

How many folks tuned in from Iraq and Aghanistan to get the results, hear the rumors, see the goings on from the 2009 DCI finals?

Where are you deployed to and how have you kept in touch with DCI, WGI, Band season, etc......

Remember, no classified tid-bits, but tell us how you keep your DCI groove on while deployed.

What is on your IPOD or your laptop as far as favorite shows?.......

In 2001, 2004 and 2005 when I was deployed, since I work in Communications for the Navy, I had no problem getting the info because I always had access to a computer. Only when computer access was restricted is when I was unable to get the info I needed.

In Iraq, and all the other arm-pits of the world that I had a chance to visit, I always had a hefty collection of drum corps mp3s and other media to keep me in touch with corps and the activity. One of my most favorite things to do was to put together little snips of shows... I'd do an hour of ballads, an hour or two of blistering brass or just a pure percussion mp3 to listen to when I was down or just needing a little corps to get me through. I found that it filled my precious down time with something that I liked and it made for some great listening. During the season, I would always try to get to a computer as often as possible to get caught up, obviously reading a lot from DCP.... not having much time to respond, but getting my dose of what was going on for that couple of days or a week..........

In 2001, 2004 and 2005 when I was deployed, since I work in Communications for the Navy, I had no problem getting the info because I always had access to a computer. Only when computer access was restricted is when I was unable to get the info I needed.

did you have a favorite show that you'd always fall back on when things got bad... .when you really "needed a fix?"

Ha! You guys had it much easier.

In 86 when I was TDY to the UK, I had to wait a couple of weeks for my Drum Corps World to get forwarded to me from New York, and then spend major bucks to call in from across the pond to get the scoreline results after finals! (uphill, both ways!)

Ha! You guys had it much easier.

In 86 when I was TDY to the UK, I had to wait a couple of weeks for my Drum Corps World to get forwarded to me from New York, and then spend major bucks to call in from across the pond to get the scoreline results after finals! (uphill, both ways!)

So, do you think that DCP is a good thing for guys and gals who are now deployed? Personally, not being tdy (read: actually being in a war zone) and getting shot at pretty regularly (two or three times a week times 15 months) I thought it was a great way to be in touch with the world and not have to wait like in the old days.... and indeed, when I was in Germany in 1989-1991, I did get my results and such via snail mail. Boy was I excited when I got the latest news from DCI land.... and to kill time, we'd (the few of us on my Kaserne who had a corps background) listen to recent years and tell road stories.... good times!!!!!

Edited by cavalry37

did you have a favorite show that you'd always fall back on when things got bad... .when you really "needed a fix?"

Of course.

Cadets 2000, 1998

BD 1996

Cavies 2003

I bet you I listened to SCV, Cadets, Scouts and BD from the 80's so much I could just about hum and drum each show..... something about the early 80's.... maybe 81-85 from most of the top 12 just got me through...

.... and of course Spirit from most years...... baby blue, can't get enough of that!!!

WOW!

Let's all take pause from our complaints about Indianapolis (and anything else) to thank our service men and women in Harm's Way now, and before, who STILL hold drum corps as something important in their conscience.

Despite where they are and what they face, to these brave soldiers, drum corps remains an important part of their lives. God bless them all!

Thanks for your service. See you on the fifty!

:tongue: