OK, BD, you are kicking everyone's butt! Now, can we have some

Okay.... maybe my examples are not measurable. What about this?

Out of every person I had direct, or indirect contact with (at a show, reading DCP, reviews, talking to friends, listening to audience reaction), the overwhelming majority were not as entertained by Blue Devils as the other top corps (with maybe the exception of Cavaliers). This is my own assessment of other people's opinions.

Anyway, forget how we can prove BD was entertaining or not.... If you agree that they were not as entertaining.... why was this?, and what can they do to fix it in the future? That is the discussion I would like to have.

But don't you understand, that's exactly the wrong way to get an objective assessment. To make a political analogy, that's like asking a bunch of Republicans who they're voting for in the presidential election. When they unanimously say the Republican candidate, you extrapolate to assume the Democratic candidate doesn't have a chance.

When all you do is talk with people inside your own echo-chamber (including your like-minded friends, people here on DCP, fans at midwest and eastern shows, etc.) all you do is reinforce your own opinions with like-minded opinions. I could have sworn that Crown was going to win based on all the discussion here on DCP the night before Finals. That was not the voice of reason, which dictated that the Devils would win. Instead, it was the cacophony of hundreds of like-minded people who wanted to see Crown win. Everyone's opinions reinforced everyone else's, and we even had several threads boldly predicting a guaranteed win for Crown.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

There is a difference between performing at a level that exceeds the rest of the field. BD is tops, no questions asked. But I don't pay $100 a seat for the competition, I pay to be entertained and that just ain't happening. But to be fair, that's not just BD, there are several other corps that full into that category.

I really don't like this attitude among older corps vets; like DCI and its member corps owe you something because you marched. Look, the activity is going where it's going and plenty of people like that direction and are perfectly happy to hop along for the ride. If you're not being entertained anymore, the solution is to stop going to shows. Stop trying to hold on to this near and dear image of what corps was when you marched. DCI isn't going to change what it's doing so that you'll be happy.

Think of any other form of entertainment. If movies by a particular director stopped entertaining you, would you continue going to them and write the director a bunch of angry letters telling him that he needs to change his movies to better reflect what you want to see? No, you'd just stop going to his movies.

So, honestly, if you're not being entertained for your $100 ticket, just stop following the activity. It's stupid to pay for things that don't entertain you.

Edited by MagicBobert

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beat me to it.....it's only arrogance if you can't back it up....BD's been backing it up since 1976.

I was there in 76. Jazz is a genre that no words can describe; felt at many levels, a personal thing.

Of all the jazz clubs I've been to, no-one speaks, we listen, absorb the music and chill. Cohesive yes, never arrogant.

Whoever said BD has ADD hit the nail on the head,lol.

My wife and I were talking after the show and she mentioned that and then I come on here and read it. Guess we're not the only ones to see it.

I've been in and then followed Drum Corps since 76' when I began at age 12. I love the activity! It has been a source of joy in my life for a long long time. But what I'm seeing is seriously disappointing me. BD is the perfect example. Segmented shows,jumping from one thing to another so quick that once you start tapping your feet the beat changes as does the song,if you can call it a song,and then ten seconds later it changes again!

I let my wife listen to my example of the BD I love(d) and the current ADD BD. The example was the 88' show,as some have said on here is one of the favs of many fans,myself included. We listened to the entire show,four songs,four beginnings and four endings with a drum break.

ENTIRE...songs. Not snippets,not a 'montage' not segmented musical jabs that you can't even grab on to. It's as if the arrangers have said 'Look,the youth of today has a attention span of approximately ten seconds. Any musical piece longer than that will lose their attention so keep it short short short!'.

The result is something I cannot even begin to call 'music' but just jagged fragments that resemble someone flipping through radio channels trying to find something to listen to. They've gone from playing 4 complete songs in 12 mins to 20 fragments of who knows what in 10. I for one hate it.

As a fan,you can't clap to it,you can't even hardly tap your foot to it and imo,it resembles music not one iota. I did something I haven't done at a finals competition that I've attended ever....we left and didn't sit to watch the winner replay the show. The talent is there but the show design is just horrendous and not accessible in the least.

<Edited in segmented fashion to aid "MagicBobert" in reading and comprehending said post. This is in no way construed to make any paragraphical sense to anyone other than 'Mr. Bobert' and sorry 'Bo'...no 'shiny objects' to be had....and if you need further assistance,I'd suggest you have your meds adjusted first....>

Edited by Sportster

Whoever said BD has ADD hit the nail on the head,lol. My wife and I were talking after the show and she mentioned that and then I come on here and read it. Guess we're not the only ones to see it. I've been in and then followed Drum Corps since 76' when I began at age 12. I love the activity! It has been a source of joy in my life for a long long time. But what I'm seeing is seriously disappointing me. BD is the perfect example. Segmented shows,jumping from one thing to another so quick that once you start tapping your feet the beat changes as does the song,if you can call it a song,and then ten seconds later it changes again! I let my wife listen to my example of the BD I love(d) and the current ADD BD. The example was the 88' show,as some have said on here is one of the favs of many fans,myself included. We listened to the entire show,four songs,four beginnings and four endings with a drum break. ENTIRE...songs. Not snippets,not a 'montage' not segmented musical jabs that you can't even grab on to. It's as if the arrangers have said 'Look,the youth of today has a attention span of approximately ten seconds. Any musical piece longer than that will lose their attention so keep it short short short!'. The result is something I cannot even begin to call 'music' but just jagged fragments that resemble someone flipping through radio channels trying to find something to listen to. They've gone from playing 4 complete songs in 12 mins to 20 fragments of who knows what in 10. I for one hate it. As a fan,you can't clap to it,you can't even hardly tap your foot to it and imo,it resembles music not one iota. I did something I haven't done at a finals competition that I've attended ever....we left and didn't sit to watch the winner replay the show. The talent is there but the show design is just horrendous and not accessible in the least.

Can't teach and old dog new tricks.

Whoever said BD has ADD hit the nail on the head,lol. My wife and I were talking after the show and she mentioned that and then I come on here and read it. Guess we're not the only ones to see it. I've been in and then followed Drum Corps since 76' when I began at age 12. I love the activity! It has been a source of joy in my life for a long long time. But what I'm seeing is seriously disappointing me. BD is the perfect example. Segmented shows,jumping from one thing to another so quick that once you start tapping your feet the beat changes as does the song,if you can call it a song,and then ten seconds later it changes again! I let my wife listen to my example of the BD I love(d) and the current ADD BD. The example was the 88' show,as some have said on here is one of the favs of many fans,myself included. We listened to the entire show,four songs,four beginnings and four endings with a drum break. ENTIRE...songs. Not snippets,not a 'montage' not segmented musical jabs that you can't even grab on to. It's as if the arrangers have said 'Look,the youth of today has a attention span of approximately ten seconds. Any musical piece longer than that will lose their attention so keep it short short short!'. The result is something I cannot even begin to call 'music' but just jagged fragments that resemble someone flipping through radio channels trying to find something to listen to. They've gone from playing 4 complete songs in 12 mins to 20 fragments of who knows what in 10. I for one hate it. As a fan,you can't clap to it,you can't even hardly tap your foot to it and imo,it resembles music not one iota. I did something I haven't done at a finals competition that I've attended ever....we left and didn't sit to watch the winner replay the show. The talent is there but the show design is just horrendous and not accessible in the least.

Sorry, could you break that big paragraph up into smaller chunks? I don't have the attention span to sit and read the whole thing in one sitting.

Oooo! Shiny object!

Edited by MagicBobert

BD's '86 show was one of my all-time favorites. IMHO, Buddy Rich was the greatest musician I ever heard and saw play live, and perhaps, along with Jascha Heifetz, the greatest musician of the 20th Century. BD did Buddy very well in '86 (and in '76, '77, '88, etc.).

We don't necessarily need 100 repeats of Malaguena, Channel One Suite, or Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor, but we need more of this style and other accessible music if we hope to attract non-musicians as fans of the activity. (However, I would LOVE BD to play Channel One again - it's been 23 years since the last time!!!!)

Maybe Chuck Mangione will have a new creative explosion and reclaim the title of "Composer to the Drum Corps World"!

:tongue:

Hey now.... :tongue:

No worries....I'm a tad biased, of course, but people have their own tastes. For the record, although I'm thrilled at BD winning, I HAVE said that between the synth sections the show didn't do a whole lot for me...however, a win's a win!

SO what corps DID do something for you in 84?

You made me go and watch all the shows from '84, except PR's (could never stomach them). I liked the 27th Lancers and SCV.

I'm not a big fan of the 80s pit sound either. All those clinky glockenspiels, gack!

BD deserved the win last night. I did like CC's show a lot this year. They just didn't execute as cleanly as BD.

Edited by Timing Gun

I was hoping this thread would take off. Thanks guys!!

Truth be told I am a huge BD fan and was curious what the general community of DCP thought about this topic. Now I know.

I loved them this year and most years! I don't really care if they play jazz and no way could they ever duplicate 86 anyways!

Congrats on 13 guys! :tongue:

I was hoping this thread would take off. Thanks guys!!

Truth be told I am a huge BD fan and was curious what the general community of DCP thought about this topic. Now I know.

I loved them this year and most years! I don't really care if they play jazz and no way could they ever duplicate 86 anyways!

Congrats on 13 guys! :tongue:

Your avatar is Preston Scout House and your thread is Blue Devils?

Personally, I care about drum corps past and present!!!

Drum corps is in my blood; see you in 2010 ;-)