OK, BD, you are kicking everyone's butt! Now, can we have some

We don't necessarily need 100 repeats of Malaguena, Channel One Suite, or Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor, but we need more of this style and other accessible music if we hope to attract non-musicians as fans of the activity. (However, I would LOVE BD to play Channel One again - it's been 23 years since the last time!!!!)

BD performed selections from Channel One Suite in 2002.

http://www.bluedevils.org/tty/index.php?year=2002

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, you guys should really get out of the echo-chamber that is DCP. It seems to me that DCP (and finals for the next 10 years) is made up of a large amount of midwest and eastern folks who experience only midwest and eastern drum corps. They then develop this feeling that nobody likes BD because nobody around them likes them.

I hate to break it to you, but there tons of Devils fans all over the place. Step out of your comfort zone every once in a while and you might notice them. They are a fan favorite to many outside this echo-chamber.

See below for my favorite drum corps... No BD fans? :tongue:

In fact I believe I have all the coasts and the middle covered, hell I'm really just a fan of DCI, as many folks on here are, so no I don't quite think you're right on this one.

I will add a quick side-note though, that no I didn't like their show this year, but I did give them props for performing the hell out of it.

BD is redefining the activity again much like Cavies did up until 06.

Is there a way they can become a fan favorite again by playing tunes again and still win? I think it would be great for everyone to love the Blue Devils again for what they play, as well as admiring them for being so great at the same time.

Those kids don't deserve boos like last night and surely BD can design a cutting edge show with music that just screams Blue Devils! :tongue:

I want to hear more developed musical lines from them and more complete tunes like they used to. It works for Crown, Phantom, SCV,etc? Let the fans hear you again and cheer!

What say you?

BD was a fan favorite - MIdwest and east coast fans just hate them and boo becasue they are tired of them winning. BD was more musical this year IMHO than they have been in quite some time. I loved their show.

I am one of them as well. It just chaps me to see so many people bashing them for winning and not being a "crowd" favorite. I would love them if they played Come to Jesus in F major in whole notes, but I selfishly would love to hear them play some good jazz again.

BTW, spent 6 years of my life in LA, Concord and Fresno. I am a West Coast guy at heart.

How much is "how many people" ?? If the next one hundred posters come on here and put them down, it means nothing. THeir fan base and average fan base is huge.

Like everyone hates the NY yankees right ??

Geoffrey

Yes, there probably are some people who don't like BD just because they are BD.... but frankly I think that group is a huge minority. There are probably just as many people who don't like the Cadets just because they are the Cadets (I mean, since 1983, they have had just as much overall success as BD). But see what happens when one of these so called "hated" power-houses puts out a show which really grabs people and truly entertains (the Cadets this year).... the crowd overwhelmingly loves them.

Now yes, BD did entertain some people this year, but I'm sure they entertained many less than SCV, Crown, or Cadets. I don't see how anyone could argue with that. Why was BD's show less entertaining to the masses.... I really don't think it has anything to do with the actual music they played. The pieces were great, and mostly recognizable.... there was some classic jazz, some orchestral stuff, and some killer drum features....... It was just how the music, and the visual was arranged that turned so many people off to this show. Sitting right on the 50, down low for Quarterfinals, I found myself far less entertained by the Blue Devils than probably any other corps in the top 15..... and it seemed like much of the audience agreed with me.

The show to me just did not have any kind of "bigness" to it this year. There was no "epic" feel that I get from other top shows, such as their 2006 or 2007 shows. Many of the musical elements of the show just seemed forced. Much of the drill that they did march (other than the opening rotating box) seemed to not go anywhere and was just movement for movement's sake, not relating to the music whatsoever. I will admit that if I was a guard person, I would have probably been much more entertained, but I really don't enjoy watching guard much. Yes some of the visuals and musical features were cool, but much of the show just seemed to be isolated effects strewn together to create an 11 1/2 minute performance. The best way I can describe BD 2009 is a great drum corps show which has ADD.

I know I've been really critical of this show, but I would consider myself a huge Blue Devils fan. Their shows such as 1997, 1999, 2004, 2004, 2006, and 2007 are some of my most favorite drum corps shows ever. I just wish they used the massive amount of talent they get in Concord every year to put out a product which can embraced by a much larger percentage of the drum corps world.

BD performed selections from Channel One Suite in 2002.

http://www.bluedevils.org/tty/index.php?year=2002

No. They played Wayne Downey's Variation's on a Theme by Bill Reddie. :tongue:

Now yes, BD did entertain some people this year, but I'm sure they entertained many less than SCV, Crown, or Cadets. I don't see how anyone could argue with that. Why was BD's show less entertaining to the masses....

Now THAT is one BOLD assessment.

I think most would agree that they would like to see the best drum corps and best show win. Yes, we all have our favorites but I, for one, would not like to see my fav, Cadets, (my old team) win if there were a corps that was bettter. It would do all involved an injustice, most of all to the members. That being said it is my opinion that BD simply didn't have the visual show that the rest had (read, top 14 or so.) Does BD perform at a level most can only dream of? Oh yeah! Musically are they worthy of a championship? Oh heck yeah? I love that big sound and the aggresive way they approach their show. Rarely does anyone does it as well. Visually are they worthy of a championship? Um...no.

Thats just keeping it real. The message DCI has sent to the rest of the corps is that a demanding, challenging and effective drill is not necessary to score well. Are we ready to see a finals with everyone marching the kind of drill that BD won with? Save your money and stay home from finals next year. Just buy the recordings because, while it is worth listening to, there isn't gonna be a whole lot to see.

Just one ticket buying old-timers opinion.

Now THAT is one BOLD assessment.

Did you hear the crowd reaction at championships to the shows I mentioned vs. Blue Devils? Have you read all the comments on DCP all year long? Have you read reviews of every show this year which proclaimed that BD got less Crowd reaction than other top groups.... at almost every show across the country?

How could all of these things agree with each other, yet be wrong? I don't think my assessment was bold at all.... it's actually a pretty easy assessment to make.