All Time Top 10

Can someone that was there explain what happen in 1977? 2 Corps scoirng 94+ seems a little out of place for the era. Only one corps (Cabs) had even broken a 92 ever before this year. Was there a change in the judging system or were both of these corps just that much better than anything else that had come before them?

1977 Was a banner year for DCA. Probably the best year from the start of DCA till then.

If you check prelim scores you'll see 4 corps in the 90's!!! That was unheard of till then.

I remember the bus ride home after the night before & people were literally telling us

"Any other year & you win" But we finished 4th!! Plus Rochester was right behind us!!

That's how good that year was.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct you are Frankie ... DCA (starting in 71 or 72) had a 5 point "penalty" bucket, where penalites were deducted from ... captions were judged the same ... the 5 points (or what was left after penalties) was then added to the score at the end

I wonder if 1977 was the last year for that system.....because, IMO we (Sunrisers) were a much better corps across the board in 1978 than in '77...more balance in all captions... and our Finals score that year was "only" a 90.85.

Fran

I thought there was an unwritten rule in the late 70s that the winning DCA score had to be higher than the winning DCI score. :doh: Forget if it held true but some people swore on it.

LOL and I hit the big 2-0 that August...

HAHA ... enter "INFLATO MAN" ...

:-)

I wonder if 1977 was the last year for that system.....because, IMO we (Sunrisers) were a much better corps across the board in 1978 than in '77...more balance in all captions... and our Finals score that year was "only" a 90.85.

Fran

WE (RI Matadors) felt the same way about our 78 corps. Even though it was a bit smaller,

we thought it was a better, cleaner more musical corps. Yet the score was about 2.5 - 3

points lower. Was this a rules congress year? Did something change with the system?

Fran, I also agree with you about 78 Sun. It was a better corps.

Fran, I also agree with you about 78 Sun. It was a better corps.

And I'm with you on the Matadors being better, too. Both corps' horn lines, in particular, were much improved from '77.

Fran